jblibscrib's profile

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, January 7th, 2024 11:56 PM

Closed

Unable to change SSID for specific band

Looks like with the new XB8 we can no longer change SSIDs for different frequencies.

I have a need to put the 6ghz band on its own SSID for a VR headset, which would force it to always use the 6ghz band. However, it seems I cannot do this.

Is there no way around this? I tried MAC filtering to block the MAC of the headset from the 5ghz and only allow it on the 6ghz but it didn't work.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

8 months ago

Hello @jblibscrib I can definitely understand wanting to control the different WiFi bands to control your devices connections. However, sadly our newer devices have removed this function and you are no longer able to manage your Advanced WiFi settings via Xfinity xFi or the Admin Tool. This is due to most of our newer modems (XB6 and above) being designed with specific software to automatically control and manage the WiFi in a way that enhances your connection, allowing each device in the home to automatically connect to the correct band for the best connection. Are you running into any issues with your devices, like the VR Headset, not able to hold a connection or unable to connect under one WiFi network?

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

No issues I can tell, it connects fine. My understanding is that the connection would be improved on 6ghz as the band would be devoted to the device full time.

Also, the headset at times roams to the pod which reduces its speed quite a bit (from 1000mbps to 500mbps) and I can't control that either.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

I am glad that it has been connecting fine for you @jblibscrib. You may see your devices change between being connected to the modem or your WiFi Pods depending on which one will provide a better connection at that time. That is something also done automatically to help enhance your connection. While the speeds may be reduced on the pod, the device makes the switch automatically as it detects that it isn't able to hold a consistent connection to the modem directly. While your current modem does not offer the features you are seeking, you do have the option to use your own modem if you wish. If you were to utilize your own modem, there would be a wider range of customization for the network for the bands to be split, but it without the automatic enhancements for a better network connection that is more hands-off.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here