U

Tuesday, September 26th, 2023 10:55 PM

Closed

Port Forwarding Randomly Stopped Working

Following the instructions from Xfinity to use their phone app to handle port forwarding (which is dumb/inconvenient in so many ways) I was able to open port 25565 for my friends and I to connect through. This was working for a total of two days before suddenly the port I had opened was no longer able to be accessed from the internet, even though nothing had changed. I have attempted to create other port forwards to no avail, I have also tried the many fixes to this issue already on this forum, but none have worked. This is ridiculous that Xfinity services are this faulty. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

1 year ago

Thank you for reaching out to us @user_74337e! Could you please check in the Gateway Admin page (10.0.0.1) that a static IP was not set up? If a static IP was set for the device it will need to be removed.

Additionally, you may need to disable IPv6 or set IPv4 as the preferred on the device. At this time, IPv6 is not supported for port forwards.

3 Messages

Hey Aldrik,

The IPv4 was being utilized correctly, no usage of the IPv6.

There was a static IP for the machine that was port forwarded, I swapped the machine to DCHP, but it repeatedly reverted to the static IP setting.

The fix to my port forwarding issue that I found through trial and error is:

1. Delete the port forward
  2. Force the DCHP change from the Gateway admin page (10.0.0.1)
  3. Re-forward the port

This only works for a day or two before having to do the same actions again, is there a more permanent solution?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Thank you so much for reporting back to us @user_74337e, and are glad that you found a temporary fix but we can definitely understand not wanting to have to perform the same steps every few days, that definitely sounds inconvenient. May I confirm if you are using an XFINITY gateway or a third party modem? May I also ask if you are running into any errors when setting up the port? 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

3 Messages

Hey Alyssa,

Yes I am using the Xfinity Gateway that was provided to me when I purchased my Xfinity internet plan.

I do not to run into any errors setting up the port, other than the issue stated above. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here