U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, March 12th, 2022 5:17 PM

Closed

Port Forwarding error "We are having some trouble"

I have tried for the last 2 hours to try to get somewhere with Port Forwarding. I have tried both on my PC and on the App. every instance I get this "We are having some trouble, please try again later". 
Anyone have any ideas on some help? 

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

SOLVED:      I Upgraded to the XB7-T this morning and migrated my settings in to the new modem.  I lost all of my forwards and the modem merged my 2 SSID's into one.  I still could not view or add port forwards.   Due to the way it merged my networks, I ended up with a wifi with one name and a wired with a different name causing issues printing to a wifi printer from a wired PC.   To fix this I decided to reset the modem to factory (hold down the WPS button for 30 seconds)  and set up my network manually.  The XB7 provides extremely limited set-up options, but I was able to clear up the old network name. 

AND I discovered that port forwarding is now available - but only to those devices that the app recognizes.  Which is the wonky part because not all connected devices are being recognized on the app.  For me at least, I was able to get my camera server forwarded and seems to be working fine for now.  I hope this helps......  factory reset and manual setup does seem to fix the port forward functionality.  

Update:  I am able to get my devices to show up in the connected list by first forgetting them on the device list, then assigning them new local static IP addresses and rebooting them.  Painfully tedious, but  I can  then assign a port forward to them.

Here is additional info from my later response in this thread:  'When the router is reset to factory, you will need to use the xfinity app to reactivate and set up the router.  At that point you have a choice to bring in the settings stored on your xfinity account, or set it up manually.  If you choose to set it up manually you will need to create your wifi SSID's from scratch - and (in my case) reset the DHCP ip address range.  I always have my router ip set to 192.168.1.1 and after choosing to set it up manually, it was set to 10.0.0.1.  I had to go into the router admin page and reset that to my preferred settings.  It is my thought that by not importing in old setting, the block on port forwards goes away.   My port forward function stopped working once since the reset, but came back within a few hours.  The port forwards I set up after the reset have continued to work since I set them up.'

@doesnotmatter_ 

@Jerry_C82 

(edited)

Contributor

• 

74 Messages

@user_5aa3c9​ 

I am going to get a XB7 next week.  They'll have to activate it for me at the store because I have no cell reception at my home.  So I think what I'll try is to plug it in, let it come online and then do a factory reset.  I'll setup my SSID and password and change DHCP to 192.168.x.x instead of the 10.x.x.x and then try to set up port forwarding in the app.  Hope it works.  If not, I have a TP Link router I just bought use.

Visitor

• 

20 Messages

@user_ab0276 I found that after factory reset you do need to re-activate the XB7.  You will need internet to do this.  :(

(edited)

Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@user_5aa3c9​ Glad to hear this worked for you! I haven't had the guts to try and reset my router because, like some of the others here, I've got some working port forwards that had been set up months prior. Has anyone else tried a full factory reset, and port forwarding worked afterwards? Just really want to make sure I don't dig myself further into this pit, especially without any official solution (although who knows IF or WHEN that will be...)

Contributor

• 

74 Messages

I'm going to get a new gateway, an XB7 next week and try that.  If it doesn't fix it, I'll try to factory reset that one, but I'll hold on to my XB6 and get that reactivated if the 7 doesn't work.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

The app and website both appear to be broken.  The request to set port forwarding rules seems to be missing authentication credentials.  The network request returns a 400 with the following payload:

{
    "code": "033",
    "title": "Invalid Request For Create Port Forwarding Rule",
    "status": 400,
    "detail": "401 Unauthorized: [missing authentication credentials\n]",
    "source": "xficov_config_sets",
    "type": "https://github.comcast.com/xfi-coverage-platform/api-spec/blob/develop/error-code.md#400-033"
}

Hopefully someone from comcast sees this and gets it fixed.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@user_196eea​  Yeah... my PS5 is useless without it. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Please fix this comcast

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I am also experiencing this and hoping it will be fixed soon.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I'm getting the same exact error

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

same error

all day long 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

same error. wishing they fixed this now

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I am trying to figure out how this can be communicated to Comcast/Xfinity... any ideas?

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Hey there, you can do this on our app or online, and follow these instructions!

1. Visit https://comca.st/3i7yTl8 or open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  2. Go to the Connect tab.
  3. Select your network on the Xfinity app or select See Network on the xFi website.
  4. Select Advanced Settings under More.
  5. Select Port Forwarding from the menu.
  6. Select Port Forwarding.
  7. Choose the household device for the port forward you are setting up from the drop-down list of connected devices.
    • Note: If you don't see the device listed, it may be because the device is not connected to your home network, it’s using an IPv6 address, or has a static IP set in the Gateway Admin Page.
  8. Choose from the list of common applications to use a recommended, preset configuration (e.g., Xbox or PlayStation) or select Manual Setup to enter specific port numbers, ranges and/or protocols.
    • Note: If you're unsure what port settings to choose, reference the device manual or the application you are trying to use. Opening unnecessary ports is not recommended, as it poses a security risk.
  9. Select Apply Changes to complete the setup of the port forward.
  10. The device you set up for this port forward can now use these settings.
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

So annoying. There should be a 'manual override' you can access when you login into the router, can choose to modify it directly on the router or use myxfi. 

Visitor

• 

9 Messages

2 years ago

Hey, so I had this problem for a couple of days and I finally found a work around port forwarding. The only issue is it cuts off Wifi use. So if you connected by ethernet and no one is using the wifi in your home, you can activate 'bridge mode' on your xfinity gateway. Log in the gateway using the IP 10.0.0.1 in your internet browser. If you haven't needed to go into your router then you will need to use the default username and password as 'admin' and 'password' receptively. When you successfully log in, the first page you are connected to has a section called 'Bridge Mode: Enable or Disable' right in the middle of the page. Select Enable (default should be disable). It will take about 80 seconds to reset your modem with the new settings. After you need to log in again to make sure bridge mode is set to enabled. And thats it now the NAT type should be open for all games.

When ever someone needs to use wifi, disable bridge mode and when you want to play games again, enable it.

This work around should be temporary until xfinity does something about this. Hope this helps.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_a76eaf​ You're basically just disabling all security by doing this, it's good at letting traffic you want out, but it's also very good at letting traffic you don't want in. Not recommended. Comcast really just needs to fix this one like, yesterday.

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

We apologize for any confusion. Your confidence in the services and support we provide means the world to us. You are always able to use your own equipment to establish a forwarding rig for any in home networking needs. I did include the link below that would allow you to view all of the qualified devices that would be able to operate with the Xfinity services. https://comca.st/3icqM6M

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityThomasB​ How can I use my own equipment when Xfinity throttle the speeds on my personal modem and router?

Official Employee

• 

923 Messages

Hi, @tek_23. We actually do not throttle speeds with an owned modem. If you're not getting the full speeds with an owned modem, I would first check to make sure it's compatible with our service on our website https://comca.st/3PqDTQD and the speed it's compatible getting. If those match up with your plan, then we'd proceed with troubleshooting. Our customers are more than welcome to buy their own modem! I rent one personally because I find it easier, but I know plenty of people are happy with a personal modem. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Shouldn't need to knock my family offline because Comcast is having a gateway problem... again.  How about fixing it so I don't need to keep factory resetting my dang router.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Have to get work done so had to setup a [Edited: "Language"] DMZ! [Edited: "Political"]

(edited)

Contributor

• 

13 Messages

2 years ago

Still broken. Please get someone to fix this.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

[Edited: "Language"] fix this COMCAST!

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Honestly, I just spent two hours with support today, with four levels of support running me through every stupid setting in the book, when THERE'S AN OPEN TICKET FOR THIS!? WHY in the lords name did nobody just say "yeah, we're aware of the issue and are working on it,"??? At first I was pleasantly surprised by the support I got today, but not now that I found this!!! Comcast, your support, your web and phone apps, and your business practices need a MAJOR overhaul. Why force customers to use a web app you're not going to fix for weeks!? Port forwarding is LOCAL and I should be able to change those settings LOCALLY.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

2 days.... 0 fixes.... No one seems to be able to do anything..... I'm losing profits because I'm unable to do my live streams as per the usual.... I Had to boot everyone off the wifi. That no longer works. Changed the password, Doesn't deauth anyone on the router, it partially deauths them so I sit there not being able to "purge" the device information and fix the port for another 12hrs before I shut my console off to enjoy the rest of my day.... They charged me $10 Extra for the past 5 months which I've paid  [Edited: "Language/Inflammatory"] I read the fine print so yeah this is worthy of a lawsuit as I lose around $200-$1000/day because I'm unable to provide quality content and engage with my subscribers. I'm not building a new profile up another platform where I have to post boring videos. I Enjoy being social and during the pandemic live streaming my content has been so great but of course the service fails to work correctly. There is no reason this issue wasn't fixed. I have a CISSP Certification and a Network engineering degree this isn't a hard problem to fix,this should be a 15 minute or less fix.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@user_9a0b8f​ if you’re losing that much money, go buy a router and enable bridge mode and you’re good to go.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@spokechuck​ true, on buying a router, I checked for compatible and the cheapest that seems to have reasonable performance and would last for 3+ years because of protocols it supports costs around 200$ on amazon. (looking to replace their router, not bridge, why bother to keep their junk?) That is still min 2 days of waiting and 200$, when it is a 1 hour fix? This should already be done.

And I just checked and it seems to be working, finally!

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Agree, finally working was just about to go out and purchase my own modem/router because i was getting sick and tired of messing with this. Couldn't get my plex to work because of this. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Was having this same issue and found this thread yesterday.  Just tried it again and it adding port forwards seems to work now.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

Hello @user_9a0b8f ,and thank you for sharing your experience. This issue seems to be resolved for some customers. I wanted to check in with you to see if there have been any changes on your end?

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here