DA95's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Friday, April 3rd, 2020 8:00 PM

Closed

Greyed out Admin controls/Can't change Wifi Channel

I cannot for the life of me change our Wifis Network Channel to a stronger one. The Admin page, Xfi site, and app won't let me. It's greyed out and I can't physically change it.

Please help

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

4 years ago

A recent firmware update by them disabled that and other things. Get your own equipment if you can't live with it.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Was this something they intended to do or do you think there will be a update to fix it?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Woah that is ridiculous. I hope getting a new one won't hurt our service anymore. We just can;t be competiting with 7 people on one wifi channel. Thank You

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

4 years ago

Get your own retail purchased equipment !!

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

4 years ago

IMO it seems to be deliberate.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

No, the reason its grayed out is because the Xfi system auto selects the best channel for you. You can disable it but its already monitoring to make sure your system is running optimally. Or at least that's what they say. They could be blowing smoke but it seems to work when I double check its decisions.

Expert

• 

2.1K Messages

4 years ago

You can not disable the xFi function that automatically manages it. Once they enable that feature, you can not disable it. You can still disable its wireless itself, but not alter any of its settings.

Best way to fix that is with your own equipment.

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

4 years ago

@peltonj 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue. Thanks. 11 month old dead now being closed.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

"Monitoring to make sure your system is running optimally."
Hogwash.
It just sets your 2.4 GHz to channel 11 and leaves it there.  Everyone in my townhouse complex is on the same dern channel.  My 2.4 GHz is ridiculously crowded.  And my 5GHz doesn't reach the basement.  My take on it is that Xfinity is making it perfrom poorly on purpose and not allowing people to change "advanced settings" (since when is choosing a channel really "advanced") in order to force us to buy their stupid mesh pods instead of connect ing to our own 3rd party extenders or wireless bridges on 2.4GHz.  

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

The following process worked for me:  https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1037422/

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Well I *did* buy my own retail equipment that was one of the certified / recommended ones. (Arris SVG2482AC ?)

At the very first setup I was able to set WiFi to channel 11 to try and avoid wireless phone contacts. But the very next time, at like t+an hour of it being authenticated I could not change channel or any wifi setting. I'd get frequent wifi glitches on a computer and also with TV (wireless STBs.) I checked and practically every wifi SSID in the neighborhood is on channel 11. So yeah, I really wanted to change it.

Exactly like the OP, the entire screen is grayed out. Three times I was on Arris' help line and no joy. They kept suggesting factory resets - 30 second rest button, 60 seconds on the reset button, doing the factory reset with the coax disconnected and nothing changed. After reinstalling my Xfinity modem I saw that the wifi setting screen with the Arris is exactly the same one Comcast presents.

Comcast / Xfinity is blocking changes on the Arris modem which takes away a lot of the value of spending $200 on a retail device.

Expert

• 

105.7K Messages

3 years ago

@user_6bc98e 

Please create a new topic of your own here on this board detailing your issue (copy your post and paste it there). Thanks. Re-closing this 15 month old dead thread that was improperly re-opened by the new forum software / platform. A known issue that is being worked on.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here