U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, May 26th, 2023 4:57 PM

Closed

Device not listed in Connected Devices on Xfinity App

I'm trying to port forward to an IP camera that has a dedicated ethernet LAN IP connection.  The device shows up in the gateway admin as an offline device, but it's connected and I can use/access the camera if I'm on my local network.  It does not show up by name, only by the MAC address.

Accepted Solution

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Port Forwarding Issue SOLVED!

I ended up purchasing an Arris SBG-8300 Modem from Amazon for $198.  The device has dual-band WiFi and 4 ethernet ports.

I used the Xfinity App to activate the modem which took about 15 minutes.

I was able to use the admin web interface to port forward my IP camera (MAC address was okay.  Did not have to be on any special device list).  This resolved my primary issue for this post.

Note:  FYI- Don't expect the standard Arris admin web interface.  Xfinity downloads their own version of the modem's firmware so they can control it on their network.  I don't see any big misses in the interface and it certainly works better than the Xfinity gateway device when it comes to port forwarding.

Problem Solver

• 

785 Messages

1 year ago

@user_0b07e7 Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I can understand the frustration this has caused. Has this device ever shown up in the connected devices? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@XfinityTimothyA​ 

Timothy  -  Thanks for getting back to me.

The device (IP Camera) shows up in the Gateway admin site, but not/never on the Xfinity App list of connected devices shown during the port forward process.

Here's some additional information:

• The device in question shows up in the Gateway admin site under the "Online Devices-Private Network" under the connected devices section.  The "Host Name" is just the device MAC address.  The device shows up with a "Reserved IP" and the connection is showing as ethernet.
  • The only devices that show up in the Xfinity app list of connected devices for port forwarding have regular "english" names.  There are no devices listed by MAC address.
  • The Gateway admin site has devices shown in the "Offline Devices" section that are actually online and active.  Not sure what's going on there.

A question for the Xfinity team:   If I purchase a cable modem that is on your compatible device list can I utilize the modem's settings to do conventional port forwarding?

Thanks,

Steve

Problem Solver

• 

785 Messages

@user_0b07e7 That is a great question. If you use a device on our approval list, you would use the modem's admin tool to set up the port forwarding instead of the Xfinity app. If you choose to use your own modem you can activate the modem in the app. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here