U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, August 28th, 2022 1:55 AM

Closed

Cannot update WIFI settings

Hi, I have tried to update my wifi settings multiple times over the past weeks via the Xfinity App (password, whether to broadcast the wifi name, etc.), but I always received the following message:

Something went wrong 

These settings couldn’t be updated. Please try again later. 

Does anyone know why the message keeps popping up?

Expert

• 

106K Messages

2 years ago

Concern moved here to the Xfinity App help section for assistance.

Official Employee

• 

6.9K Messages

2 years ago

Hello @user_e9507f! Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Community Forum to share your experience. I can understand how frustrating this must be and would like to help investigate. First, can you please share what type of device you're using? If you try changing the password with any of these options, do you get the same error message? 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityChe​ 

Hi, thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, when checking the status center and the Xfinity website, I only saw the option to "Edit with the Xfinity App." I don't seem to be able to update wifi settings via other options. 

Problem Solver

• 

322 Messages

@user_e9507f Are you signing in with the primary Xfinity ID on the account or are there multiple Xfinity IDs associated with the account?

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am having the same problem. There's just 1 xfinity Id associated with account, which I a signing in with. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Me as well and there is only one name on the account

Problem Solver

• 

577 Messages

@user_9b90bc Hello and good afternoon, and thank you for reaching out. Some other users are reporting the issue has been resolved. Are you still experiencing the same issue today? -Christopher

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

I am having the same problem and get the same error. I am unable to edit any Wi-Fi settings. I have 1 Xfinity ID on my account. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Did anyone ever get a resolve for this? I have been trying to spilt my wifi for the past two days and keep getting the message "Something went wrong".

No explanations or help as to what may be wrong, just the message "Something went wrong".

Problem Solver

• 

785 Messages

@user_7aae6b Thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. I can understand the frustration of not being able to make changes in the app. If you are still having issues, I would recommend logging out of the app, remove the app from your device, and reinstall it. This will make sure that you have the latest version of the app. Please let us know if this works. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I’m having the same issue.

Problem Solver

• 

497 Messages

Hi, @

user_8de063. Do you still need assistance? 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

No resolution for me yet. I spent over an hour with a support agent yesterday and they had me go through all the usual steps of restarting, unplugging, restoring to factory settings, sending a signal to my gateway, and nothing worked. After all of that, the agent said the issue must be due to a service outage in my area and told me to wait 24 hours. I said that that couldn’t be possible since the internet connection and wifi itself is working fine, and the problem is I can’t change any settings… I can’t change the wifi network name, and I can’t split the wifi bands. 

Visitor

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

For anyone experiencing this same issue, my wifi settings appear to be magically working in the app again. I didn't do anything to make this happen, so maybe Xfinity fixed something on their end. I'm now able to successfully change my wifi network name, password, and it let me split the bands finally too! I hope it's working again for everyone else.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Happened to me today.  Firstly, the router reset itself to the old name… XFSETUP…

now I’m getting the exact same error as everyone else when trying to rename it.  “Something went wrong”

Contributor

• 

342 Messages

@user_1f804c​  Thank you for reaching out to us. If you are still having the same issue, 

Could you please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address? Our team can most definitely take a further look at this issue.

To send a "Direct Message" to Xfinity Support:

Click "Sign In" if necessary

Click the "Direct Messaging" icon or https://comca.st/3EqVMu7

Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there

- As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list

- An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line

Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

Press Enter to send it

See https://comca.st/3KQF8q9 for an example.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I am having the same issue now

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

I am currently experiencing this issue

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I am having this issue as well. My internet was working just fine when I tried to do the split to install some lights, but now it’s reset to default and the “something went wrong”

error appears, just a total reset. I’ve already reset everything and I have the latest app. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Update: I ended up going through the Admin portal on the laptop to update the settings. Found the info on this page - scroll down to “Xfinity Wireless Gateway Admin Tool”, it was easy to fix it on my laptop. After I had fixed everything, I was able to control it again through the mobile app. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Same issue. Internet get extremely slow on my PC, then I restarted my modem through my xfinity phone app, and it changed the wifi name for me to default_xfinity_2 and default_xfinity_5, also changed the password to the default ones. Now when I try to reset it, it pops up “something went wrong”

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_5e14b9​ I was on the phone for an hour and it didn’t get fixed, im hoping they still check this thread

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_5e14b9​ I went through the chat feature on the xfinity app and it asked me if i wanted to simplify my wifi, i said yes and then it allowed me to edit things again. you might want to try that

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

try modifying the default password (the one printed on the bottom of your modem) to something else.  I think that was the problem for me... was trying to keep that the same.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here