O

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, February 27th, 2022 8:28 PM

Closed

Blocking certain websites or apps

I want to block certain websites on our home network. Is that possible?

Problem Solver

• 

770 Messages

2 years ago

Hello @owensDL, as a father with kids who use the internet all the time, I can appreciate the need for web blocking for multiple reasons. We can help find a solution for you now. 

Depending on the type of Wireless Gateway you rent from Comcast, you can access Parental Control settings in one of two ways:

1. Through the Xfinity app or xFi website at https://comca.st/3Hxqf9W, from anywhere with an Internet connection. xFi is available for Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible xFi Gateway See our Xfinity app overview for additional information.
  2. Through the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website at https://comca.st/3C7ztss using a computer or device that is currently connected to your home network (either wired or wirelessly).

Note: If you have an xFi Gateway, you can only set up and adjust Parental Controls settings using the Xfinity app or xFi website. If you have an Xfinity Gateway that isn’t an xFi Gateway, you can continue to set up and adjust Parental Controls settings through the Gateway's Admin Tool. You can find all the ways, and more help through this support document 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@XfinityBrandon​ ok, your answer is super frustrating. You mentioned I can access information on the web or app, but your web link takes me to a place to download the app. I am signed into my app and online and i cannot find any reference or link to parental controls! Help me to block certain websites from my home network! Please! Theres only 3 specific sites I want to block and I can’t find how to do it!

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

Here is the contents of the link provided above:

Set Up Parental Controls for the Internet

If you have kids, you can set Parental Controls to help manage what sites and information they have access to on the internet.

Depending on the type of Wireless Gateway you rent from Comcast, you can access Parental Control settings in one of two ways:

1. Through the Xfinity app, from anywhere with an internet connection. xFi is available for Xfinity Internet customers with a compatible xFi Gateway See our Xfinity app overview for more.
  2. Through the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website at https://comca.st/3pOWdrT using a computer or device that is currently connected to your home network (either wired or wirelessly).
    • Note: The Admin Tool website is only available if you have an Xfinity Gateway that isn’t an xFi Gateway. See Overview of Xfinity Gateways for more details about our available Gateway models.

xFi

xFi helps reduce the risk of children accessing age-inappropriate content from their devices using the xFi Parental Controls feature. Additionally, you can pause WiFi access over your home network instantly or during scheduled times with the Pause and Downtime features and set Active Time Limits for profiles on your network.

• To access Parental Controls, Pause and Active Time Limits, open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password. See Home Network Customization and Control with xFi for instructions.
  • If you've previously set up a device block or a scheduled block for a device from the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool (https://comca.st/3pOWdrT):
    • For a device block, you'll see the device listed with a Pause icon indicating WiFi access over your home network is already paused. For a scheduled block for a device, you'll be notified that your prior settings will be cleared.

Wireless Gateway Admin Tool

Your Wireless Gateway allows you to block keywords in web addresses and specific sites. You can also control which computers or devices these restrictions apply to.

To set Parental Controls, visit the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website at https://comca.st/3pOWdrT. For further instructions, see below.

Remember, you can only use the Admin Tool if you have an Xfinity (non-xFi) Gateway.

Set Up Website Blocking

To set up website blocking from the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website:

1. Go to https://comca.st/3pOWdrT.
  2. Log in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Go to Parental Control > Managed Services. The Managed Services menu allows you to prevent access to applications and services.
  4. Select Enable, then:
    • Blocked Sites: Click Add and enter the URLs of the websites to be blocked, and set up a time schedule.
    • Blocked Keywords: Click Add and enter keyword(s) that appear on websites you want blocked, and set up a time schedule.
    • Trusted Computers: Specify the devices you would like to retain internet access on your network by marking Yes next to the device name. If a device is selected as a Trusted Computer, it bypasses the configured Parental Control settings.
      Parental Controls Managed Sites screen

Managed Services

To manage services from the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website:

2. The default settings to open the Admin Tool are:
              Username: admin
              Password: password (case sensitive)
    If you changed your Admin Tool password before, use your new login info. If you don't remember your Admin Tool password, you’ll have to factory reset your Wireless Gateway.
  3. Go to Parental Control > Managed Services. The Managed Services menu allows you to prevent access to applications and services.
  4. Select Enable, then:
    • Blocked Services: Click Add and define services and ports to be blocked using Parental Controls.
    • Trusted Computers: Specify the devices you would like to retain internet access on your network by marking Yes next to the device name. If a device is selected as a Trusted Computer, it will bypass the configured Parental Control settings.
      Parental Control Managed Services

Managed Devices

To manage devices from the Wireless Gateway's Admin Tool website:

2. Log in with your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Go to Parental Control > Managed Devices. The Managed Devices menu displays information about devices that can be managed by rules.
  4. Select Enable, then:
    • Add Allowed Devices: Choose which devices, if any, are exempt from Parental Control rules.
    • Rules: Created reports display attempted violations of Parental Control rules.

Set Up Internet Access Time Limits From Your Router

Note: If you have an xFi Gateway, see how to set Active Time Limits.

1. Log on to your router's administration site.
  2. Click the Select A Computer/Device
  3. Check the Add button for the computer you want to limit. If you don't see the computer you'd like to add, make sure the computer is turned on and click the Refresh button.
  4. In the Day(s) to Block section, check the box next to the day or days you want to limit. In the Time of Day to Block section, choose a Start time (e.g., 2:00 PM) and an End time (e.g., 6:00 PM). This time range will apply to each day you selected for the specific computer.
  5. Click Apply.
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Parental Control > Managed sites: DOES NOT WORK

1. Does not work with redirected URLs

2. Does not work if you use Google (search on the blocked domain name without the .com (or other extensions), click on the Google link and go directly to the blocked site

I have had multiple long frustrating calls with Xfinity tech support, and no resolution. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am now discovering this. Kids have school controlled chromebooks so I can’t block sites are the computer level or install extensions like bark. Finally school IT told me I could block things at the router. Aha! After frustratingly useless chat ending with rep sending me to web page I already went to, finally figure out how to log in to gateway (NOT same user  name as xfinity account) and was able to block sites. Yay! Then learned that now.gg and various now.gg/play etc are NOT blocked. Apparently a redirect thing. Anyone have any luck???

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here