ANSWERED: What is Xfinity Stream on Roku and how does it work?
Comcast is collaborating with equipment manufacturers to bring the Xfinity Stream app to compatible Roku devices, Samsung Smart TVs and other Partner Devices. The Xfinity Stream app delivers live broadcast channels, linear cable channels, cloud recordings and video on demand, all without the need to rent an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast.
The Xfinity Stream app is currently offered in a "beta" version that does not include the full set of features and functionality included in the Xfinity Stream app for mobile devices and web portal. Future releases of the app will include additional features and functionality, as well as improved stability and optimization. When using the "beta" app, you will not be charged an "additional outlet" service charge. Pricing may change in the future.
Please note that we continue to believe Xfinity X1 is the best way to watch Xfinity TV, and not all features of X1 are available if you choose to use a Partner Device
The Xfinity Stream Beta app is available on the following Roku device models:
- Roku TVs: All Roku TVs are supported
- Roku Streaming Media Players: Roku Ultra; Roku Express and Express+; Roku Premiere and Premiere+ Roku 3 and4Roku 2 (4210 only)
- Roku Streaming Stick and Streaming Stick+: Model 3500 or later
- Devices must be on minimum firmware version 8.1 b1 or higher. The Xfinity Stream Beta channel will only appear in the Roku channel store for eligible devices.
- Launch the app and select Get Started to continue.
- The Activation Code screen will appear on the Roku device. Go to www.xfinity.com/authorize from a mobile, tablet or desktop device web browser (not from the Roku) to continue the activation process.
- From the web browser (not the Roku device), enter the six-digit code provided.
- Still, from the web browser, enter your Xfinity username and password, then select Sign In.
- The web browser will display a Success! message, notifying you that your Roku device screen will update shortly.
- After a brief loading screen on your Roku device, you will be presented with terms of activation. Select Yes to accept the terms and continue. If you select No Thanks, you will be taken back to the first step of the activation process.
Terms of Activation: Cloud DVR Customers
Terms of Activation: Non-Cloud DVR Customers
- Next, you will be asked to name your device.
- The home screen should then appear, and you are ready to begin using the app!
Navigating the Xfinity Stream Beta App on Roku
If you have completed activation, the Main Menu will appear. (See above for more information.)
From the Main Menu, you will see the following options:
- Live TV
Search for a movie, TV show or channel collection (i.e., network).
Browse Live TV and On Demand programs by TV, Movies, Networks, Sports, Kids, News and Latino.
- Pressing the Instant Replay button on the Roku remote will skip back 15 seconds during video playback of Xfinity On Demand content.
- Pressing the Directional Pad Left and Directional Pad Right, respectively, will rewind and fast forward video during playback of Xfinity On Demand content (unless restricted).
View TV Listings for all of your channels, watch live TV, set episode or series recordings, and view the programs in a certain category - Favorite Channels, Kids, Sports or Movies - that are on now or coming up soon. You can also filter live TV by High Definition, Free to Me, Video Description, Closed Captioning and Secondary Audio Program. Access Playback Controls to control accessibility settings, including Video Description, Secondary Audio Program and Closed Captioning.
Select Options (top left) within Live TV to Find a Channel, access Filter Preferences and Search. Selecting Search will take you to the main Search page, to search for a movie, TV show or channel.
Find a Channel: Find a channel by name or number.
Filter Preferences: Filter live TV by: High Definition, Free to Me, Video Description, Closed Captioning, and Secondary Audio Program.
**Note**: To access Playback Controls, you will need to press the down arrow on the Roku remote while watching live TV. This will present you with a caption icon. Use the Roku remote left and right arrows to highlight either Video Description, Secondary Audio Program or Closed Captioning. You can then select OK to turn the option on or off.
From any live channel, you can access the Mini Menu by selecting Mini Menu on the media player or pressing right on your Roku remote. Use the Mini Menu to discover and quickly change to other live channels.
View the For You screen, Recordings, Scheduled Recordings or Purchases (when applicable).
- Pressing the Instant Replay button on the Roku remote will skip back 15 seconds during DVR video playback.
- Pressing the Directional Pad Left and Directional Pad Right, respectively, will rewind and fast forward during DVR video playback.
You can delete recordings by highlighting the TV episode, selecting Modify Movie Recording, followed by Delete Recording.
**Note**: You cannot delete recordings in bulk (for example, an entire series) on your Roku device. However, this can be done directly on your TV Box or by using the Xfinity Stream app. You may also recover recordings that were deleted in the past 24 hours by navigating through the following menus - Saved > Recordings > Deleted Recordings - and selecting Undelete.
Access app settings such as Language, Parental Controls, Accessibility, Format and Help options.
Language settings allow you to set the default language for Secondary Language soundtracks (SAP option in Playback Controls when available). Language settings do not change the language for menus or TV listings. SAP may experience intermittent availability in the Xfinity TV Beta app.
Parental Controls are device-specific. Even if you previously set Parental Controls for another device, you have to set them again for the Roku device, as Parental Controls default to the Off mode.
In order to modify Movie Ratings or TV Ratings settings, Parental Controls must be set to On. Locking a rating will automatically lock all higher ratings. For example, locking the R rating will automatically lock the Adult and NC-17 rating.
The Accessibility option provides Audio Guide (voice over) functionality on certain Roku devices. This feature can be accessed by navigating to Settings > Accessibility > Audio Guide, and is available on the following Roku devices:
- Roku Streaming Stick (Model 3600)
- Roku Express (Model 3700)
- Roku Express+ (Model 3710)
- Roku Premiere (Model 4620)
- Roku Premiere+ (Model 4630)
- Roku Ultra (Model 4640)
You can also turn Video Description, which allows you to listen to an audio description of a program's key visual elements, On or Off in the Accessibility menu.
A Format option located in the Settings menu allows you to automatically tune to the High Definition (HD) version of a live TV channel if you select the Standard Definition (SD) version.
The HD Preferred option is selected by default. Selection of All Available Formats will tune to the SD or HD format of the channel that is selected.
A Help option is located in the Settings menu that will direct you to xfinity.com/xfinitystreambeta for more information.
The option to Sign Out of the app on your Roku device is also available in the Settings menu. You can sign out by pressing the OK button your Roku remote.
**Note**: Signing out of the app will deactivate your device and you’ll be required to reactivate the device (see directions above) and accept the Terms of Activation again the next time you login. Alternatively, you can exit the app without deactivating the device. Press the Last button until you see the main menu, then select Sign Out. Press the Last button again to exit the app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible to use the Xfinity Stream app on Xfinity TV Partner Devices?
- Customers must subscribe to Xfinity TV and Xfinity Internet.
- All Internet speed tiers are eligible.
- Customers must use a Wireless Gateway rented from Xfinity or a retail modem that is certified to work on the Comcast network. Please visit mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com for more information on compatible equipment.
Does the Xfinity Stream app for Partner Devices have the same features as Xfinity X1?
No. Currently, the Xfinity Stream app for Partner Devices does not support the following features:
- Control through the X1 Voice Remote
- Movie and TV show rentals through Xfinity On Demand (Available on Roku; not available on Samsung Smart TVs)
- Pay Per View event rentals
- Xfinity Apps on X1 such as Sports, Voicemail, My Account
- Apps such as Pandora, YouTube and Netflix (these apps may be available through the Partner Device's platform)
Does the Xfinity Stream app work on all streaming devices?
No. Currently only certain devices have the Xfinity Stream app. We anticipate adding more equipment manufacturers and devices during 2019. For eligible device models, see the activation information for Roku devices and Samsung devices.
Why are some models not supported?
Not all device models meet the minimum hardware requirements for the Xfinity Stream app. We are working with equipment manufacturers to bring the Xfinity Stream app to additional devices and models.
I am having trouble downloading and/or installing the Xfinity Stream app on my supported Partner Device. What should I do?
- Please verify that you have a supported device model at mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com.
- Please check the firmware version of your Partner device to ensure you're using the minimum required version.
- To update to the latest firmware on Roku, navigate to Settings > System > System Update from the home screen, and press OK to check for updates.
- To update the latest firmware on Samsung Smart TVs, press the Menu button on your remote control. Use the down arrow to select the Support tab, select Software Update then select Online. As long as your Samsung device is connected to the Internet, it will connect to Samsung servers to look for an update. If there is an update available, it will begin installing automatically (unless update setting is set to manual).
- Verify that your Partner Device is connected to your Xfinity Internet service. Due to the design of the Partner Device, it cannot operate the Xfinity Stream app unless it is connected to Xfinity Internet.
Do I need to rent an Xfinity TV Box for the Xfinity Stream app to work on my Partner Device?
No. If you are a new customer, you can simply opt to use your Partner Device without renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast.
If you are a current Xfinity TV customer and would like to solely use your Partner Device instead of your rented Xfinity TV Box, you can do so but will need to return your rented Xfinity TV Box by following these instructions. You may also use a combination of both rented equipment and Partner Devices in your home; the rented Xfinity TV Box will be treated as your “primary outlet.”
For more information on the difference in features and any credits and fees associated with using a Partner Device instead of renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast, please refer to the Credits and Fees section below.
Do I need to rent an Xfinity DVR-capable TV Box to get DVR service on my Partner Device?
No. If you use a Partner Device, you can subscribe to Xfinity's DVR service without renting a DVR-capable TV Box from Comcast. You can access and manage your recordings from the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices.
If you are a current Xfinity TV customer with DVR and you rent an Xfinity TV Box or use a Partner Device to access the Xfinity Stream app, you can set and delete your DVR recordings directly on your Xfinity TV Box and/or your Partner Device. At this time, remote recording control is not available.
I already subscribe to Xfinity TV. If I return my Xfinity DVR-capable TV Box, will I still have access to the recordings that were stored on that box using the Xfinity Stream app?
If you are an X1 DVR customer, you will be able to retain some of the recordings from your Xfinity DVR TV Box in the cloud and access them through the Xfinity Stream app. Legacy (non-X1) DVR customers will lose the recordings stored on legacy TV Boxes.
Can I view all my previously purchased movies and TV shows using the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices? What if I returned all my Xfinity TV Boxes?
Yes, you can continue to view all of your previous content purchases through the Xfinity Stream app and Xfinity Stream portal. This remains true even if you return your Xfinity TV Box.
If I am a new customer, how do I order Xfinity TV service without renting a TV Box from Comcast?
You can order Xfinity TV online at xfinity.com or call 1-800-xfinity to order Xfinity TV without a TV Box.
I just ordered Xfinity Internet and Xfinity TV without renting an Xfinity TV Box from Comcast. Will the technician who installs my Internet also set up my Partner Device?
No. Partner devices, like all other customer-owned and managed devices, are installed and activated by the customer. Comcast technicians will not install supported Partner Devices. For more information about setting up the Xfinity Stream app on your supported Partner Device, please consult the setup guide or support web page for your Partner Device.
I just ordered Xfinity TV service; can I use the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices prior to my professional installation?
No, you won't be able to access the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices until your Xfinity Internet is activated.
Why is Xfinity Internet required to use the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device?
Partner Devices need an Internet connection to run their operating systems. Since they lack the capability to connect to two different networks at the same time, they must connect to a single device that can deliver access to both our managed cable network and the Internet simultaneously. Currently, the only way to access both at the same time is through the modem or Gateway used with your Xfinity Internet service.
My cable TV service is provided through the Xfinity On Campus program. Can I use the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices?
Yes, Xfinity On Campus customers can use the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices while the supported Partner Device is connected to your campus Wi-Fi network.
- Note: Xfinity on Campus service is currently only available on Roku devices. Samsung Smart TVs will be supported in a future release.
I'd like to use the Xfinity Stream app, but I don't own any Partner Devices. Can I purchase a device from Comcast?
No; however, you can purchase these devices at many retail and online stores.
Using the Xfinity Stream App on Partner Devices
Can I take my Partner Device to my friend's house, hotel or vacation home and access the Xfinity Stream app?
No. The Xfinity Stream app will only work if the device is connected to your Xfinity Internet in-home network through Ethernet or Wi-Fi. If you'd like to access your favorite content when you're not connected to your Xfinity in-home network, you can use the Xfinity Stream portal online or the Xfinity Stream app on your smartphone, tablet, or computer to watch your recordings and available content over the Internet.
Does the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices offer parental controls?
Yes, parental controls can be customized within the Xfinity Stream app settings. Please note, if you use the Xfinity Stream app on multiple devices, you'll need to set the parental controls separately in the Xfinity Stream app for each device. For parental control instructions on the Xfinity Stream app for Partner Devices, see setting Parental Controls with the stream app.
How many Partner Devices can I use?
Xfinity TV customers can stream to up to five devices simultaneously, with a total of 45 devices registered on the account. The limit of five simultaneously streaming devices includes Partner Devices, mobile devices (iPad, tablets, phones), and computers. Xfinity Instant TV customers can stream to up to two devices simultaneously.
Does placement of the device impact my streaming experience?
Yes, the Wi-Fi signal strength at the device can impact streaming. Therefore, the Roku device should be placed where your in-home Wi-Fi signal is strong.
Credits and Fees
Is there an additional charge for using a Partner Device?
There's no additional charge for using the Xfinity Stream app on Partner Devices. All other fees associated with your service will still apply, except during the beta trial, we are waiving the "additional outlet" service charge if you use the Stream app on a Partner Device. Pricing may change in the future.
If the cost of renting the first Xfinity TV Box is included in my package price, do I get a credit if I do not rent an Xfinity TV Box and use a Partner Device instead?
If your package price includes the cost of the first rented Xfinity TV Box, you will receive a credit for use of a Partner Device on your primary outlet (assuming you have no rented Xfinity TV Boxes). If you are an existing customer who has an Xfinity TV Box, you must return your equipment to Comcast to receive this credit.
If your equipment rental is charged separately in your Xfinity TV package, you will not be charged for use of the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device on your primary outlet.
Does streaming using the Xfinity Stream app on a Partner Device count against my Internet data usage?
No. The goal of using the app on your Partner Device is to give you more options outside of our rented TV Boxes to access your full TV service within your home. The service delivered through the Xfinity Stream app is not an Internet service, so our data usage plans don't apply.
However, video services that are delivered over the Internet, like TV Everywhere content accessed via the Xfinity Stream app and web portal or content from NBC.com or the NBC and NBC Sports apps, are treated exactly the same way as any other Internet-delivered services like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon, and are subject to any data usage plans that might apply.
Wireless Network Connectivity Tips:
For an optimum streaming experience on a Roku device or TV, keep within range of the wireless router. Avoid placing on top of other devices, and keep clear of obstructions. Do not place in an enclosed area or direct sunlight. To receive a stronger wireless signal, try moving or rotating into different positions. Even a few inches can help.
For additional information about the Xfinity TV App on Roku see the following links:
Join the discussion here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/XFINITY-Stream-on-Roku/td-p/2834869