• 

66 Messages

Wednesday, June 19th, 2019 8:00 AM

Closed

ANSWERED: What is the YouTube App on Xfinity X1 and how to use it

Eligibility

To use the YouTube app on X1, you'll need:

• Xfinity Internet service
  • A compatible X1 TV Box (excludes RNG150s)

Access and Use the YouTube App

To access the YouTube app, press the xfinity button on your remote control and navigate to Apps > YouTube. Using the voice remote, you can also open the app by saying "YouTube," or search for specific video types, e.g., "Best street food in the world on YouTube."
YouTube search results.

Once the app is open, you can continue to search for videos using your voice remote, or you can select Search to find videos using the on-screen keyboard.
Youtube search page.

Manage Your YouTube Account

Open the YouTube app, then use the arrow keys on your remote to navigate left and open the Main Menu.

To Sign In:

1. Select Sign In.
  2. Visit youtube.com/activate on your computer or mobile device.
  3. Enter the code provided on the X1 YouTube app.
    YouTube sign-in page with access code.

Once signed in, you'll have access to your YouTube channel subscriptions and playlists, as well as YouTube Premium (if you're a subscriber).
YouTube subscriptions.

To Sign In to More Than One YouTube Account:

1. After you've signed into the first account, select the name of the logged in user from the Main Menu.
  2. Select Add Account.
  3. Repeat the same sign-in process.
    Accounts page with Add Account selected.

To Switch YouTube Accounts:

1. If you've signed in to more than one account, select the name of the logged in user from the Main Menu.
  2. Select the name of the YouTube account you want to switch to.
    Accounts page with two accounts available.

To Use YouTube in Signed Out Mode:

1. Select your name from the Main Menu.
  2. Select Use YouTube signed out.

This lets you use YouTube in signed out mode, but your account information will still be saved so that you can switch back to it anytime without having to perform code entry to sign back in.

To Sign Out and Remove Your YouTube Account from the YouTube app on X1:

1. Select your name from the Main Menu.
  2. Select Manage Accounts.
    Accounts page with Manage Accounts option at bottom right.

3. Select the account that you want to remove.
    Manage Accounts screen with account selected for removal.

4. Select Remove.
    Remove account confirmation screen.

General FAQs

Can I stream YouTube on other X1 TV Boxes in the house?
Yes, you can watch YouTube on any compatible X1 TV Box (excludes RNG150s) in the house.

Can I view YouTube TV content using the YouTube app on X1?
No. YouTube TV is a separate, subscription-based service that is not available on Xfinity X1.

Will streaming YouTube content on X1 TV Boxes count towards my monthly internet data usage?
Yes. YouTube is delivered over your Xfinity Internet service to your X1 TV Box. Therefore, YouTube is subject to the terms and conditions that govern Xfinity Internet service, including any data usage plans that may apply.

How do I learn more about YouTube features?
Please visit YouTube Help to learn more about YouTube app features.

What is YouTube Premium?
YouTube Premium is a paid membership that gives you an amplified video and music experience across YouTube, YouTube Music, YouTube Gaming, and YouTube Kids. Learn more about the benefits of a YouTube Premium membership, including how to sign up by going to YouTube Help and typing in "Join YouTube Premium."

Do I have to subscribe to YouTube Premium to use the YouTube app on X1?
No, you don't have to subscribe to YouTube Premium to use the YouTube app on X1.

Why do I see a "Content Warning" message when I voice search for YouTube videos?
When you perform a voice search for YouTube videos, we search YouTube on your behalf and present results from YouTube directly to you. When your YouTube search returns videos flagged by YouTube as inappropriate for all ages, we show this "Content Warning" message. At this point, you can choose to Continue to proceed to view YouTube search results or Cancel the search.

Please note that this message cannot be turned off at this time.

How does YouTube flag age-restricted videos?
YouTube has 24/7 monitoring to make sure all videos follow YouTube's Community Guidelines. Videos that violate YouTube Community Guidelines are removed by YouTube. Age-restricted videos are also flagged during this process.
Playback error: This video may be inappropriate for some users.

Can I view 4K YouTube content on my X1 TV Box?
Yes. 4K YouTube content is available if you use the YouTube app on X1 and have an XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box, or on Flex with an Xi6 or XiOne streaming TV Box, along with a compatible 4K or 4K/HDR TV.

What video resolution is required to view 4K content on YouTube?
When your X1 TV Box is set up, it'll automatically be set to the highest video output resolution possible for your TV. If you want to manually change your settings, you must set the video display to 2160p30 or 2160p60 resolution on the 4K capable Xfinity TV Box. On the X1 XG1v4 or Xi6 TV Box or Flex Xi6 or XiOne streaming TV box, this can be done in the Settings menu, and the cables provided are compatible. Learn more about using the X1 guide to adjust your video display.

YouTube 4K badging is based on the highest resolution available of the video. YouTube 4K badging may display on a HD device, as the video will automatically downscale to the best supported resolution and continue playback.

To see the YouTube video's resolution within the YouTube app, click on the Stats for Nerds menu option.

How do I report offensive YouTube videos?
Because YouTube hosts videos from the open Internet, YouTube cannot 100% guarantee that all videos will be flagged appropriately through 24/7 monitoring. At times, inappropriate videos may show up on YouTube for a short amount of time until they are removed or flagged as age-inappropriate by YouTube. To report offensive videos to YouTube:

1. Play the YouTube video you want to report.
  2. Press the down arrow on your remote to bring up the video player controls.
  3. Navigate left to More Options.
  4. Navigate right and select Report (Flag icon).
    Report flag is at bottom center.

5. Choose the reason why you want to report this video.
    List of reasons for reporting a YouTube video.

Troubleshooting FAQs

Why am I unable to sign in to the YouTube app on X1?
If you can't sign in to the YouTube app on X1, please verify that you have entered the correct YouTube username and password. If you're still having issues, please visit YouTube Help for instructions on how to recover your account.

Why can't I see YouTube content on my X1 TV Box?
Not all of our Xfinity X1 TV boxes are compatible with Over the Top (OTT) streaming partner apps such as YouTube. If you would like to exchange your TV box for a compatible one, you can order right from your X1 TV Box. For instructions on how to do this, please see exchanging your Xfinity X1 TV Box to Watch our OTT Streaming Partner Apps on X1.

Why is the YouTube app frozen?
If the YouTube app is frozen on your screen, try exiting and relaunching the YouTube app.

If it's still frozen, powercycle your X1 TV Box. If the problem persists, please contact us or visit YouTube Help where you can find answers to issues regarding the YouTube application and features, along with additional YouTube customer support methods.

Why are YouTube videos buffering?
Since YouTube is an internet application, the YouTube app on X1 works just like YouTube on your computer, which buffers the video any time there's an issue with YouTube or your internet connection.

You can also visit YouTube Help where you can find answers to issues regarding the YouTube application and features, along with additional YouTube customer support methods.

Why won't the YouTube app launch on my X1 TV Box?
Not all of our Xfinity X1 TV boxes are compatible with Over the Top (OTT) streaming partner apps such as YouTube. If you would like to exchange your TV box for a compatible one you can order right from your X1 TV Box. For instructions on how to do this, please see exchanging your Xfinity X1 TV Box to Watch our OTT Streaming Partner Apps on X1.

If you have a compatible X1 TV Box and Xfinity Internet service, powercycle your X1 TV Box and check again to see if you can launch the YouTube app on X1. If you still can't launch the YouTube app, please contact us.

I'm trying to view content on YouTube and the following message appears:
"The uploader has not made this video available in your country."
Playback Error: The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

The content you're trying to watch hasn't been made available in the viewing device's location.

Why am I having issues navigating in the YouTube app?
If you're having issues navigating in the YouTube app on your X1 TV Box, try exiting the YouTube app and relaunching it.

If you're still having issues navigating, try powercycling your X1 TV Box.

If the problem persists, please contact us or visit YouTube Help, where you can find answers to issues regarding the YouTube application and features, along with additional YouTube customer support methods.

How do I set parental controls or block access to the YouTube app on X1?
There are several ways you can set parental controls for the YouTube app on X1.

1. Lock TV-MA content under Settings > Parental Controls > TV Rating Locks. Once locked, a Parental Control PIN is required before you can access the YouTube app.
    TV Ratings Locks screen.

2. You can block access to the YouTube app using an Application Lock.
  3. Enable Restricted Mode provided by the YouTube app:
    • Open the YouTube app on X1.
    • Select Settings from the Main Menu.
    • Set Restricted Mode to "Enabled."

Restricted mode hides videos that may contain inappropriate content flagged by YouTube. Note that there is no PIN required to enable or disable restricted mode.

Note:Once the YouTube app is launched, X1 parental controls settings willnotguard against new content searches or playback within the YouTube app.

What accessibility features are available with YouTube?
YouTube includes Closed Captioning. Videos that are viewed via the YouTube app will display accessibility features you have set up in your YouTube account. Please note that your X1 accessibility user preferences do not apply within the YouTube app.

How do I turn Closed Captioning on in the YouTube app?
To set your YouTube accessibility settings, visit youtube.com/account_playback.

Does it cost anything to use the YouTube app on X1?
There are no additional charges for accessing YouTube through X1. However, YouTube usage on X1 counts towards any monthly Xfinity Internet service data usage plans that may apply.

Why am I receiving an error message when I try to watch purchased content?
At this time, the YouTube app on X1 doesn't support watching purchased content. We are aware of the issue and are working to correct it.

Troubleshooting Third-Party Errors

If you attempt to view content via the YouTube app and receive an error that doesn't begin with APPS, RDK or XRE, it's likely a third-party error specific to YouTube. Please visit www.youtube.com/help or youtube.com/tv_feedback for additional support.

The following are examples of third-party errors:
Google 400 error says

Playback error says

Additional Resources

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-youtube-app-overview

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here