ANSWERED: Can I buy my own DVR or cable box?
Can I buy my own DVR or cable box?
Yes. Comcast provides a credit to customers who have an activated CableCARD installed in a customer-owned device (e.g., TiVo or CableCARD-equipped television) or customers that own a qualifying converter (See Customer Owned Equipment Policy) if the customer subscribes to a Comcast video service that includes equipment as a part of the service. Customers who qualify will receive a monthly credit of $2.50 for each qualifying activated CableCard device or converter.
For more information on CableCARDs and frequently asked questions, learn about CableCARDs.
To schedule an installation appointment, please contact us.
A CableCARD Getting Started kit with easy to follow instructions can be shipped to your home or work address. (See Pair or Activate Your CableCARD for instructions.) Contact us to find a Comcast Service Center where you can pick up a CableCARD Getting Started kit.
Off-Market TV Boxes
Cable operators purchase TV Boxes from TV Box manufacturers that they then rent to their customers. While these boxes are generally not intended for retail sale to consumers, some of the boxes find their way into the marketplace (lawfully or not) and are sold by resellers to consumers ("Off-Market TV Boxes").
If you have purchased your own Off-Market TV Box from a reseller, please take the time to acquaint yourself with the requirements of "Qualifying Equipment" pursuant to Comcast's Customer Owned Equipment Policy. Comcast will support such devices only if they comply with the requirements set forth in that policy.
You may contact us with questions or to find out if your new device meets the requirements of "Qualifying Equipment." In addition, please ask the reseller who sold you your device for instructions for activation and troubleshooting problems. Please be aware, not all models are supported in every location. Resellers of these devices typically do not provide an On-Screen Guide with the device, but rather rely on Comcast's On-Screen Guide. If an On-Screen Guide is available in your location and is compatible with the TV Box you purchased, Comcast will make that On-Screen Guide available for download, free of charge.
Note: These Off-Market TV Boxes available from resellers are different from retail CableCARD-compatible devices like TiVo that are specifically developed for consumers, and from retail streaming devices such as Roku and Samsung Smart TVs that are compatible for use with the Xfinity Stream app as part of the Xfinity TV Partner Device Program. For more information, please see FAQs about CableCARDs and Xfinity Stream for Xfinity TV Partner Devices.
Additional Service Information
Please also note the following service-related information for customer-owned Off-Market TV Boxes:
- HD Service: If your Off-Market TV Box is HD-compatible, you would like HD service, and your Xfinity TV subscription does not include HD service, a charge for HD Technology* may apply.
- HD DVR Service: If your Off-Market TV Box is DVR-capable, and you would like DVR service, and your Xfinity TV subscription does not include DVR service, charges for DVR Service* and HD Technology* will apply (Note: Comcast DVR service is only available to HD customers).
- Service to Additional TVs: To the extent that you use your Off-Market TV Box on secondary outlets, you will be responsible for the applicable Service to Additional TV Fee.*
- Customer-Owned Equipment Credit: If you use your Off-Market TV Box and have no rented Xfinity TV Box from Comcast, you will receive a Customer Owned Equipment credit in those cases where the price to rent an Xfinity TV Box is included in your package price. Where Comcast rented equipment is offered and charged a-la-carte and not included in the package price, or where you are using an Off-Market TV Box as an additional outlet. You will not receive a credit; instead you simply will not be charged a rental fee when you use a customer-owned TV Box in place of a rented Xfinity TV Box.
- Activation Process for Cable CARD-Compatible Devices: As set forth in the Customer Owned Equipment Policy, CableCARD activation for customer-owned TV Boxes requires verification that the device has not been stolen from Comcast. Such verification can take up to several days.
*Note: These fees also apply to customers using our rented Xfinity TV Boxes.
Some additional detailed information can be found at the links below:
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.