Troubleshooting Scenario - I'm repeatedly prompted to reset my password
I'm being repeatedly notified that my account is compromised and I'm asked repeatedly to reset my password.
It's completely understandable that this may be a frustrating and inconvenient experience, so the goal of this page is help you understand why it may have happened, and what you can do to prevent a recurrence and to secure your account.
- We detected that suspicious behavior on your account.
- You may have been part of an a data breach.
In either case, your password and PII (personally identifiable information) e.g. social security number, date of birth, address, etc may potentially have all been compromised and are used by bad actors to take over your account.
Things you can do:
- If you have a keylogger (a type of malware) on your computer, there's a great guide here and here by HowToGeek around this for those who aren't as familiar with how to secure your computer, and a very advanced guide on how to remove any viruses/trojans, etc. If you have spyware on your machine or device, whatever you change your password to will be recaptured and used by bad actors. Start with that before a password reset.
- Set a unique, strong password (ideally, use one that isn't shared with another website login).
- Enable Two-step verification (SMS/Email code when you try to sign in)
- Ensure your third-party email (e.g. gmail, hotmail, yahoo) are also secured with two-step verification and are not compromised as well.
- Enroll in Multi-Factor Authentication (Xfinity Authenticator App push notifications)
- Update your operating system (on both your computer and your mobile device)
If you've been the victim of identity theft, please visit the following page for next steps:
The Federal Trade Commission also has a helpful guide on what to do overall:
If you're still having issues, you can contact our Customer Security Assurance team:
The Customer Security Assurance organization has been established to ensure a safe and secure online experience for Comcast customers. This team is a dedicated group of security professionals who respond to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected computers (commonly referred to as bots), online fraud and other security issues.
Business Hours: 6:00am - 2:00am EST, 7 days a week
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!