VitaminE's profile

Contributor

• 

255 Messages

Friday, April 7th, 2023 9:12 PM

Closed

Xfinity Mobile in Canada

In Canada, do I need to enable roaming to send and receive texts to and from the US? I plan to use pay as I go.

Problem Solver

• 

754 Messages

1 year ago

Yes, if you want to roam, and turn on WiFi Calling and Prefer WiFi Calling while Roaming. Also,

1.) If you want pay as you go, make sure Global Travel Pass is not selected.

2.) Turn off cellular data if you don’t want to be charged $50/GB ($.05/MB) for data. 
3.) With cellular data turned off you will not get visual voicemail or MMS unless you are connected to WiFi Calling (XM WiFi)

4. Use WiFi Calling when you can as you only pay $0.03 per minute for calls to Canadien numbers, everything else is free. 

Contributor

• 

255 Messages

@DaveO3​ "If you want to roam" If? Is there a choice? If I don't have WiFi access, must I have roaming on to use the phone? What are the charges for roaming?

1 Message

11 months ago

Ive tried doing “pay as you go” in Canada, Mexico, and the Netherlands and it just doesn’t work. My phone connects with local cellular companies, but I get no internet or texting. 
I’ve talked to Xfinity customer service and they just go through the same settings…and it still won’t work. I don’t want the $5/day package, but maybe that’s the only thing that will work. So disappointed with Xfinity. 

Bernie

Contributor

• 

255 Messages

@user_699760​ In Canada, I was able to text for 5 cents and talk for 5 cents a minute. I'm still totally confused about "roaming."

Problem Solver

• 

754 Messages

@user_699760​ If sounds like you have roaming enabled so you are getting calls and SMS (if enabled) on international carriers, though you will not get internet or messaging (iMessage, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.) unless you turn on Cellular Data and that can get expensive and using the GTP is safer and less expensive. 

If you have an eSIM and your phone is unlocked you can buy a data eSIM for a specific country or region for a lot less for internet and messaging when not on WiFi. Search eSIM for options. 

Just be aware that there are many international and U.S. vacation, remote, or whatever locations where cellular data is not very good, whether using XM roaming or eSIM data roaming. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here