BobbySevenSevenSeven's profile

Contributor

• 

77 Messages

Saturday, October 8th, 2022 1:37 AM

Closed

My Mobile Is Paid Off Yet Xfinity Has Not Fully Unlocked It For Resale To Someone With Another Carrier

I have been having an increasingly infuriating problem with Xfinity Mobile since 21 September, when I made my final installment on a my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra.  I have always made timely payments, and there is no legitimate reason for them to not unlock the phone.  Indeed, I’ve learned that since 2015, Carriers are required to unlock phones without delay once they are paid off.  

On the 25th of last month, with a couple potential Buyers in mind, I even double checked with Xfinity since I had not heard anything about it being unlocked.   I was assured by one of their Phone Reps it was indeed unlocked.   I went to sell it two days after that point, but the would-be Buyer's SIM (from ATT) would not work (emergency calls only message).    I phoned Xfinity back - and they assured me it should now truly be unlocked.   Well, the same thing happened with a different interested Buyer (at a phone repair shop).  Notably, he was not at all surprised, saying he'd seen the problem with other Xfinity Customers.   

I then went straight  to the Xfinity Store, and while waiting my turn to be served found online a good number of reports of this problem going on for quite some time.  Curiously, the store clerk acted shocked and unaware of the problem.  An internal communication was sent by him to an unlock escalation tier - and I was told to wait 48 hours for their emailed reply.    I was two days later sent an unlock code for the phone (why was I not sent one when it was paid off or when I called previously?)

BUT - that [Edited: "Language"] code didn't work when I went back to the Buyer at the mobile repair/resell shop.    Nor did it work with two other potential Buyers who subsequently  came by to check out the phone in response to local sale listings.   On Friday, 30 September, I paid yet another visit to the Xfinity Store.   The person who eventually took my complaint said her manager would not be in until the next morning.  She’d explain the situation and someone would get back to me.   We exchanged email addresses.   Well, by the following Monday I’d not yet heard back, so I sent an inquiry.   The next day I get a useless reply that suggested her manager was not yet aware of the matter.   I wrote back again, rather more pointedly, asking for an immediate reply by the manager, and specifically noting that the delayed unlocking would justify my filing an FCC grievance, but got neither an email or phone call.  My patience was fully depleted at that point.   [Edited: "Inflammatory"]

In any case, on 4 October, I made a complaint to the Xfinity Executive Office (presumably here in Philadelphia where they are headquartered and where I happen to reside) - and an "escalation ticket" was created.   I hoped for a call back that day or early the next.  I did get a very brief email around 9PM acknowledging the escalation ticket, and promising I'd be phoned by that same person the next day.  Well, guess what?   He did not call me or write - not even after I sent a reply 24 hours later wondering what happened!   

I again phoned their Executive Office yesterday, to check on my ticket.   The gentleman told me he didn't know why I was not phoned by the person who sent that email, and would further escalate the matter.  

Now - once again - it's over 24 hours later, and I'm yet to get either a phone call or email from anyone.   

I very much wish I’d gone with another Carrier when I paid my device off last month, instead of getting a new phone with Xfinity!

[Edited: "Solicitation"]

Contributor

• 

77 Messages

2 years ago

UPDATE - I learned today that my escalation ticket was closed out the same night I created the above post - with no real resolution provided, and several questions left entirely unanswered.     At the same time, nearly two weeks later - I'm yet to get the promised email or phone call back from the Manager of the local Xfinity Store, or his Clerk - despite her assurances on 30 September.    

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@BobbySevenSevenSeven - This is not the experience we want for anyone. I appreciate you taking time out of your day and want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform. Have you tried calling or texting 1 (888) 936-4968, or reached out to our secure online chat at xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I am currently going threw the exact same thing as im reading this i could have typed this myself other then the dates im still waiting for my phone to be unlocked i paid off my phone 950$ to goto Verizon because my account was [Edited: "Language"] and my phone was duplicated and so was my wife's its over a month and im still waiting i been to the store 9 times and have called over 15 half i been  hung up on and so has the manager at the store been hung up on im about to hire a lawyer, and im in the moddle of making a  Youtube video of this experance.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

It seems that xfinity employees may have an internal memo not to unlock fully paid smartphones. Because they don't wanna lose customers. I also went trough the same experience. He told me it was unlocked but it was a lie. Is still locked and no pin unlock provided. 

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Welcome to our community forum, @skytor59! Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform. I want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Please call or text 1 (888) 936-4968, or reach out to our secure online chat at xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

So I’m not the only one living the nightmare. If there’s an xfinity rep that reads these complaints, why not just tell customers, “Hey, we’re not going to unlock your device, even though you’ve paid for it.”

I’m switching phone providers, but I was still going to carry Xfinity internet/TV, but because of the time wasted trying to get my device unlocked, I’m going to unload every bit of product. I can’t stand shady business practices.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

I'm in the same boat as well. Going on 3 weeks and countless people I've talked to. It's the same [Edited: "Language"] every time. No one ever emails you anything. Every time you call they tell you some other reason why it was denied and re submit. Another 24-48 hour wait.....then repeat. They're holding my property hostage at this point. 

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

I’ve actually received an email 4 days ago from them saying it’s unlocked, but it still says “carrier locked” even after I factory reset the phone. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

from Thursday, today being monday

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@user_4c7ba4​ Yeah I've heard everything under the sun at this point. Starting with the first it was they had to submit all the information to Samsung and they'd email me (Later found out that Samsung doesn't do this). Next it was your phone is already unlocked then after I explain everything they submitted the unlock and I never heard anything back. Then it was we didn't submit the unlock request with the original order number of the device because the other associate couldn't find it, "but rest assured I found it and it'll get taken care of now". Then it was they submitted the request with the wrong account number and a promise it was fixed, escalated and the associate would contact me personally. Then I get an email from the "unlock team", which is the first time anyone has ever reached out to me at all, saying my unlock request was denied because the device I'm trying to unlock is not an xfinity device. Funny because I have the original purchase order number, and order date. I responded to that email with that information, which by now they should already have, and I even attached photos of the phone booting up with "xfinity mobile" displayed on the screen. Of course no response to that. I reached out again this morning and got another line of [Edited: "Language"] and a "I promise this time......blah blah" and you'll have the code in 24 hours....

I think I'm just going to try and go to the store and hope they have a different avenue they can take on this.

(edited)

Contributor

• 

77 Messages

Good luck with your store visit!   I hope it's more productive than mine was back in the early-autumn of 2022!   

Official Employee

• 

2.4K Messages

@bt0434 Were you able to gain assistance and sort out the concern with the mobile device at the service center or did you still require help?

Contributor

• 

224 Messages

1 year ago

I don't have this experience but I have had 4 tickets created for the same issue, two by Tier 2 support and two by Tier 3 support and all have been closed without the problem being solved.  Clearly the Xfinity ticket system is not designed to really fix a problem since tickets are routinely closed without resolution.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here