R

Contributor

• 

91 Messages

Saturday, September 23rd, 2023 2:37 PM

Closed

mobile phone email

I have the Xfinity mobile phone service. I'm having an issue where I delete an email, or several, from my phone the emails are also deleted from the Xfinity server. Is this normal and is there a way to stop this? I just don't want all my emails on the phone. I want to clean up the phone now and then.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

1 year ago

@RND1023 Hello! Thank you for reaching out to us here on our Community Forum. We would recommend looking into having your email settings setup with IMAP instead of POP. Here is a link where you can see how to do this (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/switch-email-pop-to-imap?linkId=146558728&linkId=160636604). Here is a brief explanation of the differences between the two:

IMAP - Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) is a popular protocol that keeps your email on the server and always synchronized across your devices. For example, if you delete, send or mark a message as unread on one device, it is reflected on all your devices.

POP - Post Office Protocol (POP) downloads your email onto your device. Therefore, actions on one device are not reflected on other devices. Using the same example, if you delete, send or mark a message as unread on one device, the changes will not be reflected on other devices. Sometimes, POP will download your email but not leave a copy on the server for other applications or devices.

IMAP is generally favored by those who check their email on multiple devices since it provides a more consistent experience.

Hope this helps! 

Contributor

• 

91 Messages

@XfinityBenjaminM​ Since imap was causing the issue changing the account to pop worked although the article was useless I managed to muddle through it. Should that be pop or pop3? As long as pop is working I guess I better leave it alone.

(edited)

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

@RND1023 This is a great question. There's an option in your setting to keep a copy on the server. I have some links that provide the steps and more information for you. https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/managing-email-messages-using-multiple-email-programs/ .

Here's a link for the settings https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/update-your-xfinity-email-settings. 

If you use windows I have the link https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/internet-leave-copy-email-on-server. 

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Contributor

• 

91 Messages

@XfinityKei​ Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no such option on the phone. I have no problem with the internet or pc email. My question was about the phone.

Official Employee

• 

1.7K Messages

I'm so sorry about that. What kind of phone do you have? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Contributor

• 

91 Messages

@XfinityDilary​ I have the Samsung Galaxy S10e from Xfinity. It is still deleting the email from the server. It seemed like it was ok for one day but it still does it.

Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 months ago

I think I have it solved. I deleted the email account from the phone then I restarted the phone, which I wasn't doing before. I then started the email setup all over again and used the manual set up. I was able to choose between POP3 and IMAP. I chose POP3 and completed the setup to POP3 and so far, so good. The email is not being deleted from the server.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

Hi there, @RND1023 That's awesome that you were able to get it solved. I appreciate you posting your solution publically so that other customers can see what you did. I truly do appreciate your patience and especially your time! Are there any other service or account concerns I can assist you with today?-Richard

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here