U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, December 14th, 2022 2:06 PM

Closed

Mobile data not working on Android

Sometime earlier this month, mobile data just stopped working on our Android devices.  We have four phones on the plan, the iPhone still works, but all three Android phones can no longer connect to the internet unless we are connected to WiFi.

Talked to a rep last night that had me reset network settings, but all that did was forget all WiFi passwords.  Toggling airplane mode and rebooting have also been tried many times, but no success.

What can be done to get data working on our Android phones again?

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Hello @user_130b6a, we can certainly understand how frustrating it can be to not have internet access when outside of the home. Make sure that your mobile data is on. Have you confirmed that your phone is showing 4G LTE or 5G on the top of your screen? 

If so, our awesome team of Xfinity Mobile experts can help troubleshooting further and you can reach them through any of the following options:

• SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968
• Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968
Chat: xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityGabby​ Mobile data is on; airplane mode is off.  Phone has been power cycled a few times and network settings reset as well.  Top right of the screen does not indicate type of connection, it just shows signal strength (currently showing just one bar).

Seeing as how three separate Android devices, all different types, all on the same plan are having the same issue, it seems unlikely to be a device related issue.

However, the one iPhone we have on the plan is still working.

Problem Solver

• 

892 Messages

Hi again! Just wanted to see if you were able to get a hold of someone in our Xfinity Mobile department to get help with your issue? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

2 years ago

Darn, sorry to hear you're still having those issues. Please reach out Xfinity Mobile experts that can help troubleshoot further through the options provided above. We can follow up with you in a couple of days to see if you've been able to reach them and hopefully this issue is resolved. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Check the following

Settings>Cellular>Data Roaming "On"

Next to your signal strength and battery indicator it should say what Data connection you have (Must disable Wifi to confirm). It's either 4G/LTE or 5G depending on your device.

Hope this helps

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

I feel better already. It's not just me. Though I'm now upset with Xfinity. Where's the solution???

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

It doesn't appear that you got an answer. I have the same problem: Android mobile doesn't work while iphone on the same account works. With roaming on, I have 3-4 bars. With roaming off, There's a small x near the top of the tallest bar....my home requires mobile data to work for both android and iPhone.

Official Employee

• 

1.2K Messages

@leonh2 - Thank you for bringing your shared concerns to the community for assistance. I'm sorry to read that a solution hasn't been posted yet, and I encourage you to reach directly out (by call or text) to our Xfinity Mobile Sales and Service team at 1-888-936-4968 for further assistance with your mobile device. You may also use our Secure Online Chat where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7! Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns regarding your residential service(s) by creating a new public post, and we'll be here 24/7 to assist you however we can.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

New Poster

• 

16 Messages

2 years ago

Same problem, mobile data on Android phone is not working (iPhone is ok). Power cycling, taking battery out, roaming on/off - nothing helped.

Sent text message to 1 (888) 936-4968 and reply is "can't connect you to an agent right now".

Noticed the problem mid-Dec but have been putting this off hoping somebody will post a solution and I can avoid dealing with customer service. 

Problem Solver

• 

1.1K Messages

@Xfifi 

I appreciate you taking time out of your day and want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform. Please call or text 1 (888) 936-4968, or reached out to our secure online chat - https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile - where a Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Same issue here on both my Samsung S9 phones. Spent almost 2 hours talking to 4 representatives yesterday but no one could fix or was aware of this issue.  I never got to a technical expert. Tried reset of APN, etc. Waiting for email back as someone is supposed to be working it and get back to me. They want me to get new Sim card if they can't figure it out in a few days. It is obvious to me something has changed on the xfinity side or the current APN does not work. Will post back when I get a resolution.

New Poster

• 

16 Messages

2 years ago

I got my mobile data to work! Somewhat. 

NOTE: Try at your own risk. The APN setting also reverts to the non-working name at some point while I'm using some apps(browsers, online ordering) so I need to change it back to the working APN.

Original, non-working APN setting:  COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP 

New, working APN setting:  vzwinternet   (info source: https://www.apnsettings.org/us/verizon-apn-settings-for-android/)

Problem Solver

• 

908 Messages

@Xfifi

Thank you for updating us and the Xfinity community about a resolution! We will check in with you here in about a week to ensure that your mobile data is working as it should. If you need anything in the meantime, please reply to this comment. Our Digital Care Team, Xfinity Forums Experts, and Xfinity Community are here 24/7!

Official Employee

• 

1.5K Messages

Hey @Xfifi! Have you run into any new issues with your mobile data since we last spoke?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

• 

16 Messages

@XfinityEricB​   I have had to manually change the APN to "vzwinternet". At some point, I don't know when, not necessarily after power off-on, the APN reverts to the non-working "COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP". So I wouldn't mark my issue solved, all I have is a band aid.  

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@Xfifi​ the all caps VZWINTERNET worked for me at least.

New Poster

• 

16 Messages

@user_7e712e​ Glad you have working data now. Technically, the case of the letters should not matter (all upper, all lower, combination - all worked for me),  but who knows with Xfinity  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

(edited)

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

2 years ago

Did a little more research on the internet. Found another link similar to Xfifi that says to use "internet" as the APN. That did work. Interesting that the first time I restarted the phone the APN went back to original setting.  Second time I restarted after fixing APN again it stayed with the new name. I am unable to add a new access point (add button is greyed out). I can only edit the current APN. My hope is all this works correctly and Xfinity bills us the same as using the original APN. By the way I have not heard back from Comcast after 2 days. Shocking. My source was this Xfinity Mobile APN Settings for Android and iPhone 2023 - 3G 4G 5G LTE Internet Setting (apnarena.com)

Visitor

• 

1 Message

@Rocketman5​ Thank goodness, this worked for me and my Moto G. I was not looking forward to an hour(+) call trying to rule out many fixes.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

I too appear to be having the same problem.  I think the problem started on Jan 21, this past Saturday.  We have 3 LG G8 ThinQ and one Samsung.  Lg's are from 2019 and have had mobile data access the whole time.  The Samsung was added last year.  It is working fine.  I was on the phone for an hour or so on Sat with cust service but nothing was fixed.  We went through all the basic troubleshooting that everyone else seemed to go through...airplane mode, restarting phone, data on and off, wifi on and off, network settings reset, etc.  In the end they thought there might've been a 4G outage that would've ended around Sat 6pm.  That time has past so obviously not fixed. 

The LG phones all show a grey "4G" box at the top and I think they are supposed to have up/down arrows underneath.  The samsung is a 5G phone that does not have 5G data.  All 4 phones share 4G data of 1gb/$12.

Because of this thread I checked the APNs.  The Samsung has the APN vzwinternet.  The three LG have the APN COMCAST.RSLR.VZWENTP.   I can't change any of the APN, as far as I can tell on the LG.  I check every setting and menu when I get a new phone (I mean literally go through every menu and setting methodically) and I have a vague recollection of seeing vzwinternet on the LG as the APN.  I even tried under the APN menu to do the "restore default settings" but that did nothing...it just said restore is complete or done.  The mobile network menu greys out if airplane mode is on or the sim card is pulled.  Neither forces the phones to connect to vzwinternet.

Could the APN have been changed with a software update?

Can cust service change the APN on their end or would this require a new sim card?  Can the APN be changed in the Xfinity store?  Would they even know what I'm talking about? 

I really don't want to have to explain this all again to another rep on the phone and mention the APN thing and have them not know what I'm talking about.  The rep I spoke with was very friendly and nice so no complaints there.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

@dizzle53​ I don’t have an lg phone but a quick check of internet says under Mobile data that you can add an apn. Should just have to fill in the 2 fields per my link above. If that isn’t available I would to to service store and ask for new SIM card. Can’t hurt even if they technically don’t know what you are talking about. Hopefully new SIM card defaults to vzwinternet or internet for apn.

Official Employee

• 

1.4K Messages

@dizzle53 thank you so much for letting us know you are also running into issues with the mobile data on your devices. If you are still having issues and are not able to the issue resolved with our mobile team directly by 

SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968

Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968

Chat:  https://www.xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

Please let us know! 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

I'm pretty certain the LG doesn't let me change or add an APN.  So its whether the APN can be changed by XM on their end?  Are they going to know what I'm referring to?

Can I hot swap the sim card from the Samsung into the LG temporarily to verify vzwinternet does work on the LG. Would I need to do any prep work before hand?  Is it going to screw up anything with the phone numbers? All the phones are paid off.  Will the imei numbers get screwed up?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.2K Messages

This is a great question for our Xfinity Mobile experts please reach out to them and I am sure they will be able to answer this questions for you. 

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I was reading this today. Hours of wasted time on the tech support.

I just got back from the local Xfinity Store in Santa Fe, NM with a working phone.

He figured it out in 10 min and replaced the SIM card.

Right Network, mobile data etc seems fine now.

Good Luck

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

@user_sfenm505​ were you having the same issue with mobile internet connection not working?  Do you know the APN your phone showed b4 and after the new sim card?

I tried a full factory reset on one of the LG. That did nothing.

I swapped sim cards betweem the "good" samsung and "bad" LG. That did nothing.  The samsung kept working fine and the APN stayed the same, the sim card didnt change APN. The LG also stayed the same with the old APN and "new" samsung sim card. Both phones were as if nothing had changed and I hadn't done a sim swap. Does this mean the APN is not saved to the sim card?

Called cust service on Sat again (2nd Sat calling). Another hour and a half or so wasted.  Their recommendation was get new sim cards and that they were gonna call me back on Sunday to follow up, which they didn't.  They never directly answered me about whether they can view or change the APN from their end.

Did the store do anything besides give you a new card?  Did you have to explain everything?

Fyi, the factory reset does not get the phone back to the "out of the box" state. It wipes all settings and data but does not restore like a computer with a factory image file.  Android 12 stayed at 12. My phone was like android 9 or 10 when I got it.  If the 12 update caused an issue, keeping the phone at 12 doesn't do much good for a full reset for troubleshooting purposes.  I guess rooting would be your only option.

I'm nervous about my local store screwing something up when doing the sim change.  Cust service said they can mail them if needed. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

My husband also has an lg with the same issue. We had the SIM card swapped out today and it did nothing. The store told us the phone is outdated and we need a new one. So now we are trying to find a fix vs spending hundreds on a new phone. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

@user_0f8296​ I have a hard time believing the phone is outdated. That sounds like an excuse. 4g is hardly disappearing.  My 3 LG phones have been working perfectly since 2019 and magically they are unable to work on 4G data anymore?  When I spoke with someone on Sat they tried to reach out to LG support but they were gone for the day. They were supposed to call me back sunday so we can call LG but no one called me back (big surprise).  If theres a way to change the APN or see the values that are set in the phone, I think it would help. Maybe LG knows a way to force the APN to be manually changed.  

I'd really like xfinity to tell me whether they can change the APN from their end or not. Do they have that access or not? 

What type of LG phone do you have?  Do you know the APN the phone is using?  It should be in settings-network&internet-mobile networks.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

We feel the same way. My husband loves his phone and is not happy. We have the G8 thin q. The apn right now shows the Comcast one someone had listed above. After work we are going to try calling again and contacting the store too. I may try to reach out to LG as well and see if they have any suggestions. 

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

Ok you have the exact LG phone we have and all 3 of ours also have the comcast apn. The samsung A13 we have works and has the APN vzwinternet.  It lets me edit if I want and shows me a bunch of other parameters and their values.  I was hoping to change the LG to match all the samsung values.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I faced same problem. Xfinity support could not fix issue.

I changed name in APN to Vzwinternet (all uppercase) and then it worked.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@Dav932​ VZWINTERNET  worked for me- thanks.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Im going to the store today to try new sim cards. If that doesnt work I'll have to call xfinity for a 3rd time to see if they can get LG support on the phone.  Maybe LG has a way to put phone in an administrator mode that allows the apn to be changed to vzwinternet.

I've tried all the tips online about how to get a non-changable apn to let you edit or add an apn.  None of them have worked.  The LG G8 whenever the sim is pulled or airplane mode is on, the mobile networks option is greyed out so I cant even try to delete the apn to get it to reset when turning airplane mode off or popping the sim back in.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

2 years ago

Its fixed!! And the solution wasn't at all what I would've thought. 

I went to the store in the afternoon so it would be slow in there.  I started to explain what was going on and mentioned possible issues with the APN. Of she had no clue what I was talking about.  So we changed the sim card on the phone I had previously done a factory reset on in case we needed to do it again.  I immediately saw that hadn't changed anything. 4G icon was still grey.

So she called her tech support on the phone.  Store rep mentioned to me we were on a 2nd gen data plan and that there's a $30 a line unlimited plan. I immediately said I don't want unlimited, we hardly use data. So her and the phone support changed the plan to the 1gb $15 5G plan. Then she did the network reset on each phone and I powered each off then on and that was it. 45 min later I was leaving with all the phones working.  I don't even think the network reset would've been needed. Powering the phones off and on probably wouldve sufficed.

A new sim card did nothing.

There was no issue with the APN.  They all stayed the same. 

I could've changed the plan by myself at home from the 1gb 4G $12 shared to the 1gb 5G $15 shared and saved hours of headaches.

She said around last November xfinity started to do changes with the old data plans. Would've been nice if we had been informed.  The 4G LG G8 are all working fine on the 5G 1gb $15 plan. 

I doublechecked everything b4 leaving the store.  I checked the xfinity mobile app to make sure everything was right. APNs were fine and hadn't changed.  Billing cycle dates were the same. Phones and numbers were correct for each line.  Nothing was accidentially changed to a "new" line. Data usage was correct in the mobile app and hadn't "reset".  Upgrade to $15 1gb shared and problem was solved.

4G icon in status bar are all white again with arrows showing underneath.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@dizzle53​ Would like to confirm that the 3x LG G8 ThinQ phones that you changed over to the new $15/Gig plan are still working?

I was notified on 8 Feb 2023 that my plan had been changed from the $12/Gig plan to the new $15 plan. On Sat 11 Feb was on the road using Maps and everything worked fine. Today noticed that could not retrieve any Voicemails, and that the 4G icon on phone is now grayed out. When not on wifi or again on the road, Maps does not plot out the road route, it only gives turn directions.

Have spoken to online support and they were no real help, but at the local Xfinity store the rep said was out of luck with the LG G8 phone, as there is no more updates coming out to fix the issue, as LG is no longer in the phone business.

Really interested if your LG phones are still working, as I like the phone and have no interest in paying for another newer phone. Rather frustrating. Regards.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Thank you for the update! I did the same thing this morning and unfortunately his phone isn’t working yet. We will probably go in and try to talk to them again. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here