U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, May 16th, 2023 8:33 PM

Closed

Lied to and mislead. How not to win customers and upsell

I have been a Comcast / Xfinity customer for many years and the internet offered in my area is exceptional in speed and reliability. 

However, in April 2023 I was in a chat session with an Xfinity agent to see if i could save anything on my internet bill, and was offered a 'great deal'. I checked it from many angles, but i was sold that if i got a Samsung A54 phone that i didn't need, and just activated it without the need to transfer a number, i would save $100 and $10/m and get a free Android to play with. Sounds ok, so - i did it.

Ugh - what regret. Turns out, the comments made weren't exactly true and then unwinding it took hours and hours, plus the requisite grief and frustration as, of course, the agents tried to upsell me on Xfinity (with who i had lost all faith) on why i should give then more of my business. Tone deaf.

What i was told by the Xfinity agent was as follows during that session on 4/18/23.

Before agreeing, i clarified that I wasn't transferring any number or device, and the deal was done :)

Well, today after 2 hours on chat with various folks, all trying to upsell me of course, i finally got Xfinity to unwind the deal and go back to how we were before this nightmare excursion started. They say i won't be out of pocket, but i will take my new 'no trust' mantra to check.

This hasn't been good for me or Xfinity. Let's try and avoid it going forward.

If you are in the same boat - i can only say - record all your chat sessions with screenshots and don't give up in getting what is right.

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

1 year ago

To All: There is a lesson here which is that you should not call or chat with Xfinity to try to get a better deal, or sign up for anything while doing so. An agent or representative cannot get you a better deal than is available online, though obviously they might have good suggestions. Comcast/Xfinity locked down their computer systems more than ten years ago so that agents couldn’t offer anybody, like their friends, anything other than what’s available online. There are too many things that can be misunderstood on a call or chat. 

Mobile: By ordering online you have access to the exact terms and conditions for each promotion whether it’s 24 month device credits or $x00 incentives, never both.  Always take screenshots of the detailed conditions. 

Internet: By checking and maybe changing your plan each year you can usually get a reduction by signing up for 12 or 24 month terms and by selecting automatic debit/credit or bank account payments. Definitely check each December before rates go up for the following year. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

It's an interesting thought Dave03. I think it has merit for sure, but frankly speaking 'in the past' dealing with someone by phone or chat who works at a service provider has been much more efficient than trying to figure out the ever changing landscape of deals, and reading through and trying to comprehend the small print. For my experience on the Comcast Internet side, it has been an effective way of saving money and finding cost effective service upgrades. 

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

I'm glad that I found this thread. Looks like I'm not the only victim here. This tactic is super unethical and disgusting. It wasted me like 2 hours chatting with these agents (Edited: Inflammatory) who tricked me to believe that I'm not signing up anything and can lower my Internet bill to US$20/mo (and that I will not get any phone etc.), but in reality, I will be paying for the phone and the Xfinity Mobile service. This is so low. (Edited: Soliciting). 

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here