DerricG's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, November 9th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

iPhone12 pro max bought from Apple....Cannot be used on xfinity??

Needless to say I am very angry to find out that you can only BYOD if you have an iphone 12 pro MAX that you bring to Xfinity from ATT,Sprint,Verizion and Tmobile they can change your service.

But not from a phone I already purchased from Apple . However I can take my iphone I bought from Apple and activate it on ATT,Sprint,Verizion and Tmobile.

They said there is NO eta on when I could swap my current iPhone to the new one.

So frustrating. Guess I will have to take my new iPhone to a carrier that can support it.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I thought about that but the $250 is only for a new line of service.

And I would lose the cashback benefits I got with my Apple rewards.

When my comcast products work I love it. But once you need customer service you will be in for days and weeks worth of long hold times and dropped calls and missed promises.

I am currently trying to see how much it will cost me to severe my comcast accounts and move to T-Mobile or AT&T.... Maybe Verizon. The Xfinity mobile service is literally Verizon at a cheaper price.

Derric

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

4 years ago

If I were you, I'd return the iPhone 12 ProMax to the Apple store then purchase it from an Xfinity store. You would get a $250 gift card.  Seems like a nice way to get $250 for a little delay in delivery. And you would probably save on the mobile bill as well.

(I ordered my 12 PM last Friday and it is shipping today for 11/13 delivery).

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I just bought an iphone 12 pro max, brought it to Xfinity to put my sim card in and have them update it to their system.  You can do that

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

4 years ago

Actually check the fine print. The $250 is also available for an upgrade to an existing Xfinity Mobile line.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks I will take a look. Doubt it's something a Comcast overseas support person would be able to help me with. lol but I will check it out.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

If you have an issue they canon help you with, they are required to transfer you to their T2 department which is a dept with reps here in the US. I tell them right off the bat that I need a shipping label emailed to me. They transfer me then. Once transferred you can probably ask them whatever you want.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

I will give that a go. I really love my xfinity products, in fact I pay them almost 400 bucks a month for all my services!!!! But if you ever need customer service watch out!

I have been lied to, hung up on, misdirected, and just flat out treated like they do not care...

Which is usually the case.

My new phone gets here tomorrow and if Xfinity can't accommodate my new phone I will be dumping them.

Thanks all for the suggestions and feedback.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Same issue, being told I can't simply swap out SIM cards, even though the old sim works fine in new phone and I can make a receive calls. Odd that they would make more work for themselves and customers.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Yup, I have mobile, and business with them. I’ve been trying to return my new iPhone and it’s been a nightmare. If I continue to get the same runaround, I’m dumping all three.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hopefully this may help. I bought an iPhone 12 Pro Max Sim Free directly from Apple. I received it on the 13th. I have current Xfinity Mobile service with an iPhone XS Max brought from AT&T. As I have always done in the past with AT&T I just swapped the SIM cards and went through the activation process. Everything went fine and the phone worked for voice and data, 5G and all. All good, right? Nope.

When I logged into the website to make sure the device transferred properly I see a message:

SIM pairing complete

iPhone XS Max's SIM is now paired with a different device. All network-related features will apply to that device. All billing-related functions — such as device upgrades and monthly payments — are still paired with the original device.

Under the "Devices" tab my old phone still shows at the top with the 12 Pro Max showing at the bottom under "Paired Devices". So I called and the first lady said they hads just done a software upgrade and she had never seen this before and that it must be something in the new system they haven't been trained on yet. So she transfers me to another department and warns me that they are very busy. I opt to get a call back between 1 and 1.5 hours later. About 1.5 hours later I get a call back from an automated system and spend 15 more minutes on hold for a tech to get on the line. After 20 minutes of "checking things" and "talking with her coworkers" she tells me that this happens sometimes especially with some AT&T devices and if the phoner is working to just leave it. I refused to accept that answer as Apple advertise the phone to be good with any US carrier and when comparing the device side by side, the bands supported are identical to the Verizon model, the only difference being the Verizon model ships with a Verizon SIM. She still held that it is unsupported and that I won't be able to make certain account changes and to go ahead and sell my old phone, that it doesn't matter it will forever sit on my account and my brand new $1500 phone will never be properly registered in their system. She suggested I trade in my 6 day old phone at an Xfinity store or return it and get a different model. I don't accept that either as the phone works fine and clearly Verizon sees it and can tell what it is, and returning it would now mean I will get another sometime in the middle of next month. I ended the call at that point because I was clearly accomplishing nothing.

So after a bunch of reading I founds someone who had gone through the exact issue with an iPhone XS Max sold SIM free directly from Apple. After plenty of frustration and reaching out to exec e-mails, the guy found out that the issue is not compatibility, but simply a relic of CDMA carriers where activation is tied to IMEI and not the SIM. The resolution is simply to add the IMEI of the device to Verizon's DMD database and I am finding varying information, some very old on who can do this and how to get it done. It seems like a common issue dating back years with an easy solution but no clear path to get there.

I am not a Verizon customer so doubt a store or their phone support can help, and being that Xfinity is a piggyback carrier, I doubt they can do this either. I'm posting ehre with what I know the solution is to both help others and potentially have someone from Xfinity respond with how to get this resolved.

Either way this is beyond frustrsting!

Contributor

• 

107 Messages

4 years ago

Just a suggestion..

Try to speak with a level 2 or 3 Xfinity mobile tech and have them set up the new iPhone as a BYOD device with its IMEI number. This should take about 10- 15 minutes.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I called Xfinity mobile support, was told my phone wasn't compatible, asked to speak with a manager. Explained I was using the "incompatible" iPhone 12 PRO MAX to call him and then he agreed to add the IMEI to my account manually, waited a few min, and he said the system recognized the device and appeared to be working as expected. He said I should see the new device on my account within 24 hours. Guess we'll see.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here