MRNH's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Friday, September 30th, 2022 10:53 AM

Closed

iPhone 14 eSim lock when traveling

I have a new iPhone 14 which is on the 24 month payment plan and I understand that the phone is sim locked to XM. 

Next year I will be traveling to England and was wondering if the sim lock applies to adding a second gsm line with a uk carrier for a week or so. 

Totally understand why’s it’s sim locked and why that prevents me domestically switching to TM, ATT etc, but unclear about the policy in other countries where XM does not provide primary service and adding that on the second line. 

(I know I can roam in uk. But typically that’s a lot more expensive and and means still using US number) 

Contributor

• 

84 Messages

2 years ago

Your iPhone 14 will not allow an additional eSim for travel to be activated while it is carrier locked.  I just got back from traveling in the UK for a month.  I was using my iPhone 13 Pro Max which was unlocked to add an Airalo eSim which gave me 5GB of data for 30 days through Europe and the UK.  I made a couple of short phone calls and a couple of texts using my Xfinity number and was only billed 80 cents total for the month from Xfinity.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

@MEGEDH​ ok thanks for the clarification. 

we have Giff gaff sims that we typically reactivate and it’s a god deal. 

The odd text or call using Xfinity roaming isn’t going to break the bank at 10c each but lots of data is nice to have!

Contributor

• 

367 Messages

@MEGEDH Hello, thank you for reaching out and sharing regarding your iPhone 14. I'm jealous of your travel to the UK. I'm glad you are back safely. Would there be anything I can assist you with?

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

Don't tried this!, I have tried to add a Uk esim via QR then my iphone14 that was locked to xfinity mobile showed "sim not supported",

unlike a physical sim card it can be popped up, you can't physicaly pop up a esim, so you will get stucked, never have chance to access a setting

to remove the wrong esim, the phone will never fully power on, stuck at "sim not supported" page. Xfinity will don't allow you return it

,even within 14 free return period, becasue they will blame you locked the phone.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here