U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Monday, March 13th, 2023 4:52 AM

Closed

Iphone 12 that is sold by Apple as connect to any carrier is considered incompatible

We haven't bought an iphone that is attached to a carrier in a while, so we have accumulated multiple iphone 12 and 11s that are carrier independent. Xfinity considers all of them incompatible. It does recognize iphone 13 that is carrier independent.

Everytime I talk to someone from Xfinity, I hear the standard argument that not all phones are compatible and they might be locked to other networks or might not be compatible, but we have been on Verizon for the last 10 years and these phones worked for us flawlessly.

This is causing issues with us switching lines to Xfinity. We don't want to buy new phones for our kids. Can someone really knowledgeable about how compatibility checker works look into this? This is a bug in the checker itself. I'm happy to work with someone. I can provide proof that these phones were purchased by me directly from Apple with no carrier attachment.

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

2 years ago

Here is my best guess on how the compatibility checker works for iPhones and other phones that XM has chosen to accept. The compatibility lookup checks against a White List which before the iPhone 14 and iPhone SE (3rd Gen) only included models/IMEIs that had CDMA which was used by Verizon and XM. CDMA which was 3G has now been totally deprecated and therefore is no longer applicable, but XM has not bothered to add the CDMA models to their white list

Technically your old iPhones should work just fine if you can get past the compatibility check. I don’t know whether an in store representative can bypass the white list either. For several years, Verizon stores were able to setup their customers by request as LTE only (no 3G service). 

Technically you should be able to just put a SIM from one phone into another phone and it will work? 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

I think what you describe is the likely explanation. What I don't understand is why XM is not fixing it. 

You are right that adding an activated SIM to these "incompatible" phones works, but the original device remains attached to the line even if you have SIM paired that line with the "incompatible" phone. This means that I can't activate another line on the original device. This limits the number of lines I can activate to the number of devices XM considers compatible.

So far I haven't seen anyone in the store or online who is able to bypass the compatibility checker.

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

@user_427019​ I suggest that you check if your older phones are compatible with Visible.com which just dropped their base price to $25/month all in. They use the Verizon network but with a bunch of limitations on international use etc. 

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

In case someone from XM sees it, one example model that is considered incompatible is Model A2342 that I bought unlocked from Apple. Apple's tech spec page says that it supports CDMA (https://support.apple.com/kb/SP832?locale=en_US):

• Model A2342*
    5G NR (Bands n1, n2, n3, n5, n7, n8, n12, n20, n25, n28, n38, n40, n41, n66, n71, n77, n78, n79)
    5G NR mmWave (Bands n260, n261)
    FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29, 30, 32, 66, 71)
    TD‑LTE (Bands 34, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 46, 48)
    CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
    UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
  • All models
    5G (sub‑6 GHz and mmWave)4
    Gigabit LTE with 4x4 MIMO and LAA4
    Wi‑Fi 6 (802.11ax) with 2x2 MIMO
    Bluetooth 5.0 wireless technology
    Ultra Wideband chip for spatial awareness5
    NFC with reader mode
    Express Cards with power reserve

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

@user_427019

I just tried my iPhone 13 Pro Max and 3rd generation iPhone SE both are incompatible according to Xfinity.  Their compatibility checker is inaccurate for whatever reason.  Personally, I think they want you to buy a new phone from them.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here