D

Friday, November 3rd, 2023 6:19 PM

Closed

International Roaming bill of $5395 USD in Djibouti 10 minutes for 108 MB data at $50 per MB. Unfair business practice. Advice requested.

Xfinity mobile has charged $5395 for international roaming in Djibouti which lasted 10 minutes for data of 108 MB. 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/my-account/international

The Official Xfinity data rate for Djibouti is $50/MB.  

As background how this happened. My son is a young man in the US military and the ship was refueling. He had one hour to make contact. We had a death in the family (his Uncle, my brother) and wanted to catch up before he left port for another few weeks. We assumed the bill would be $100 or $100 but not $5395. 

As far as Xfinity practice of business goes, it is not fair. 

1. No warning.
2. No opt-in message asking to confirm $50/MB data rate when first making contact
3. No map on the Xfinity web site.
4. No table on the Xfinity web site to download for offline use. A person must know ahead of time what country they are going to and have previously checked. Our son did not know until waking up that the ship was refueling and rushed to get outside on the deck of the ship to make contact, knowing that there could be a risk that this was not one of the Global Pass countries 

Summary:
Xfinity makes it very easy to lose tens of thousands of dollars while silently incurring charges wthout any audible, tactile, or visual messages warning of the charges.  To be clear, a 1 GB data consumption in Djibouti would have cost $50,000 USD. Or, in other words, $1,000,000 (one million dollars) would be owed Xfinity for a 20GB month of data consumption. This is what we pay $40 to $80 per month for in the USA. Imagine a one million dollar bill for 20GB of data. 

There is an unfair business practice that charges high prices that has legal terms and I am looking for those terms if anyone can help. 

If Xfinity is reading this, the answer from the chat and phone and billing  people was that there is nothing they can do about it since this is a "valid charge". However, there has to be something said for unfair business practices. 

If anyone else in this forum cares to respond with recommendations, I would be glad to know what others have done in this case or what we as a group might do in the future.  Thank you. 

1 Message

11 months ago

So sorry to hear about this they could have warned him he's serving our country where's the respect here where's the dignity honestly get the many break give him a warning he's serving our country

Official Employee

• 

2.6K Messages

11 months ago

@dmaxwe01 Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us here on our Xfinity Forums. First and foremost, we are truly sorry for your lose. I understand that you've already tried to call and chat with an agent. While we don't have access to Xfinity Mobile accounts at this time I would be happy to get you in touch with one of our amazing reps that can help. Please send us a DM with your full name and address to Xfinity Support to get started.

To send a direct message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
Click the "Direct Message" icon or  https://forums.xfinity.com/direct-messaging
Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
The "To:" line prompts you to "Type the name of a person". Instead, type "Xfinity Support" there.
As you are typing a drop-down list appears. Select "Xfinity Support" from that list.
An "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line.
Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
Press Enter to send it

3 Messages

@XfinityBillie​ This is a standard response and I have already done the standard thing and have been in communication with Xfinity support twice and to no avail. The standard answer from Xfinity support is that this is a valid charge and there is nothing they can do about it. 

3 Messages

10 months ago

We decided to close the Xfinity account and to move to a different carrier.

However, the latest development is that Xfinity will not let me divide this up into smaller payments because we have closed the account.  So, at the end of November they expect to charge over $5000 to my credit card. I'll do my best to pay but am receiving advice from people to file a complaint. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here