D-man's profile

Contributor

• 

128 Messages

Wednesday, July 19th, 2023 6:52 PM

Closed

How do I make sure I avoid International charges?

I posted another thread to figure out how I am going to handle my phones in Europe.  Two of our three phones are paid off and unlocked so I am just going to put international eSIMS on them and only use the third one on WIFI.  Are there any settings or anything that I need to set to ensure that I do not get any international charges from Xfinity?  The eSIMS I am getting are data only so I want to ensure that no data will accidentally get used through Xfinity where I will get charges.  As far as phone calls and texts, I don't need to use them because I will just use a messaging app so I want to make sure I don't get any incoming ones either.  However, if I am connected to WIFI or even the data from the eSIM, will I be able to make calls or texts from my regular phone number using WIFI calling?  That is not important, I am just curious about it. My main concern is that I don't get an outrageous bill like I have seen some people post on here.  

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

1 year ago

If you have iPhones:

1.) Turn off all Roaming - Settings, Select Xfinity if you added an eSIM, Cellular Data Options, Data Roaming OFF

2.) If you want to use pay as you go Calling and SMS, turn off GTP, then turn off Cellular data and turn on Data Roaming. 

You will not be able to use WiFi Calling from using the eSIM on the same device, but maybe from the hotspot on another device?

Contributor

• 

128 Messages

@DaveO3​ What about on Android?

That is fine about the WIFi calling, I don't really need it.  So the key here is as long as cellular data and data roaming are off, I won't get charged for anything?  And will that keep me from being charged from incoming calls or texts too, or will they just not work anyways?  Thanks. 

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

@D-man​ The support page is not exactly clear on Android phones as to whether you can turn off both voice and data without turning on airplane mode which would then turn off an eSIM. Not good. 

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/manage-international-settings

I suggest calling XM to get a better answer. You may have to ask XM to turn-off/disable international roaming for each of your lines. 

Contributor

• 

128 Messages

@D-man​ Thanks for the link to that page.  So just to be clear, as long as I disable Data Roaming (as directed in the Samsung directions), I will not get charged for data, is that correct?  Or will that need to be enabled in order to use the data from the eSIM?  I did notice in the SIM manager section, it looks like there is a toggle switch next to SIM 1. I imagine when I add the eSIM, it will show up there as well.  If I just disable my main one (SIM 1), will that prevent any charges?  I guess the data is the main thing I am concerned about, as that is where the charges could add up if that were accidentally used.  If I get an incoming call and don't answer it, I won't have to deal with calls.  If I get an occasional text, they are only 10 cents.

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

@D-man​ Yes, that sounds correct. Be aware that you may have to have your main SIM enabled for WiFi Calling? So disable and enable SIM 1 appropriately. 

Let us know what worked and what didn’t work when you get back. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here