user_042861's profile

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, April 7th, 2023 11:49 AM

Closed

Global Travel Pass- when you get charged

I went to Japan and rented a portable Wi-Fi router to use with my daughter's and my Xfinity Mobile Phone because it is cheaper than the $10/day Global Travel Pass (GTP) or just using pay-as-you go data. I was kind of surprised when I got charged for a Global Travel Pass. In retrospect, I should have just shut it off for my trip. I want to pass along to others who might want to economize their Global Travel Pass usage. The $10/day charge started when I did the following:

-When I answered a call from the United States, it started the $10/day charge. My experience with other services is receiving calls is free, but making calls cost. Not so with GTP. Note that I had Mobile Data turned off.

-When I replied to a text message even with Mobile Data off, it started the $10/day charge. Reading text messages didn't start the $10/day charge. Note that I had Mobile Data turned off and was connected to hotel Wi-Fi.

By comparison, my daughter and, later, my wife, made calls and texts without GTP. In Japan, it was $0.10/text message and $0.50/min for calls, which was more economical than GTP given they didn't make many ($1.70 for 10 days for my wife; $5.50 for 10 days for my daughter). Note that we use the LINE app in Japan to call, video chat, message, in Japan. 

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

1 year ago

It looks like you did everything right except for removing/turning off the XM GTP on your phone, or turning off data roaming. 

In the future, if you have dual SIM phones, you should take a look at the Truphone eSIM (Data Only) which might be less expensive and less limiting than renting a portable WiFi Router?

Also, be aware that XM visual voicemail and MMS require a cellular data connection OR having an XM WiFi connection. 

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

367 Messages

1 year ago

Hello @user_042861 , Happy Easter! Thank you for taking the time to reach out to our great team through Forums. I appreciate your patience with our response. 

To ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform.

Have you tried calling or texting 888-936-4968, or reached out to our secure online chat at xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile where an Xfinity Mobile expert is available 24/7?

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@XfinityBrianW​ I posted to share details with others. My issue is resolved. Best wishes on continuing to provide a great product and service!

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here