TimDH's profile

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Wednesday, July 5th, 2023 8:20 PM

Closed

"Free" MOTO 5G Power 2023 phone has been cannibalized by/for Xfinity.

If you search any vendor offering the MOTO 5G Power 2023 you will find the specs always specify 6GB of RAM/Memory. There is not an option for anything less than 6GB. However, the MOTO 5g Power 2023 being delivered to you by Xfinity has 4GB of RAM/Memory. You just have to wonder how Xfinity was able to convince Motorola to supply them with a crippled version of the phone and how much was saved by removing 2GB of RAM. The MOTO 5G Power 2023 is considered a decent low/mid end phone by reviewers, but we have found that 2 different phones have horrible response/detection of the touch interface. Was something else chopped out of these Xfinity special MOTO 5G Power 2023 phones?

Shame on me for thinking Comcast/Xfinity had provided me with something that actually seemed like a good deal. I should know better after all these years. 

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

1 year ago

The phone that XM is offering appears to be the 2022 model, thus the lower price, lower Ram, and lower storage. 

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

@DaveO3​ Nope, they are the 2023 model, just not up to standard specs. Xfinity is advertising the correct version (year) of the phone. After further communication with Xfinity more details of the "deal" have been revealed. Was going to return one of the phones and fall back to the phone it replaced (that phone (MOTO 5G ACE) was actually an upgrade over the Xfinity version of the 2023 Moto 5G when considering ram/memory and touch screen response), however in typical Xfinity fashion they have a very limited number of phones that are compatible with their network (you can check via IMEI number) and of course the pervious phone was not supported. In fairness to Xfinity the 5G ACE has been discontinued, but many other carriers (including Consumer Cellular) support the phone still.

So again, typical buzz kill when dealing with Xfinity. If we were "heavier" mobile phone users, this would be a much bigger issue for us, and I would have canceled the entire deal. However, the reduction in monthly TV bill offsets the phones for us. Your mileage may vary.

Visitor

• 

8 Messages

1 year ago

Update: I have to back off in my criticism of Xfinity for providing a "crippled" version of the phone. I did find a review of this phone that mentioned there are 2 versions of the Moto 5G Power 2023 available.

"Motorola is selling two versions of the phone: one with 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage, and another with 6GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. The unlocked model we tested had the larger memory and storage options on board. It's *possible* some carrier versions will have the lesser allotments."

Xfinity provides the lesser version of the hardware. I did also find a retailer selling the lesser version of the phone, although you won't find it on Motorola's consumer sales page. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here