Rick441's profile

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

Tuesday, February 18th, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

Extreme delays in voicemail notification on lockscreen

I've had this issue since soon after I bought my iPhone 6s from Xfinity Mobile about 2 years ago.

Namely, when the phone is on lock screen (whether manually or automatically initiated), the voicemail audio alert (my main concern) and visual notification tend to be extremely tardy.  The delay is quite variable, but can be anywhere from 10 minutes to 10 hours.  1-5 hours delay is typical.  If, during that delay, the phone comes out of sleep for any other reason -- whether getting a text notification (*those* always work fine), a call coming in, or simply my picking up the phone -- the vm alert will immediately sound/appear.

One oddity I should note: When the phone is plugged in (i.e., charging), the vm audio alert and screen notifications always come promptly, within a few minutes of the voicemail being recorded.  Keeping it plugged in is obviously not a practical solution, but does this behavior help point to possible underlying issue(s) that can be addressed??  I would really like to avoid doing a full reset (and I doubt that would help, anyway).

Any suggestions?  The OS is up to date.

Official Employee

• 

280 Messages

5 years ago

Hi Rick441,

I appreciate you taking the time to post to the forum and my apologies for the delay in my response. If you have not done so previously, go ahead and do a network reset of your iPhone 6s. In case you need them, I’ve included the steps below on how to reset the network;

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings.

Also, after resetting the network, power cycle your device. Let me know what result you get.

Chris

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the reply.  I've tried a network reset several times in the past, but tried again last night, and since then have tested about ten times by leaving voicemails from a different phone (not Xfinity Mobile) while my iPhone 6s is asleep (and NOT charging).  (I've ignored trials that get cut short by a live call or text coming in, in which case -- as described above -- the voicemail alert always sounds and appears when the phone is awoken.)

The results so far are familar from past attempts.  The alert timing is improved *somewhat* for maybe a week, with the delay range moving from the "10 minutes to 10 hours" range cited above to more like "5 minutes (i.e., normal) to 2 hours."  That's what I appear to be seeing again thus far with this latest network reset, based on 10 voicemail tests I've done since resetting.   There's no discernable pattern, e.g., one vm alert can sound in 10 minutes, the next in 75 minutes, the next in 30 minutes, the next in 7 minutes and the next in 90 minutes.

Official Employee

• 

280 Messages

5 years ago

Hello Rick441,

Thanks for following up. Have you noticed any delays with any other type of notification on your iPhone or is the issue isolated to voicemail? I assume you are on the latest version of iOS 12, is that right? I think the latest version of iOS 12 is 12.4.

If you were experiencing issues with not receiving voicemail, that could point to the features on your mobile service line. I can always look into the features and make sure that everything looks as it such on my end.

You can reach out to me through private message so that I can gain access to the account in question. Click on my name ComcastChrisL, which takes you to my profile page and from there you’ll see a blue ‘send a message’ button. In your private reply please include the following info;
First and last name, mobile number, complete service address, and the last 4 digits of the pay method on file.

As it relates to troubleshooting your device further, I would recommend a factory reset of the iPhone. If you do take that step, make sure you back up your device before the factory reset takes place.

Chris

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

5 years ago

ComcastChrisL -

I don't experience delays in any other kinds of notifications, *only* voicemail.  I am on iOS 13.3.1.

I private messaged you the other info you requested, and appreciate anything you can do in  making sure everything looks OK with the line at your end.

Thanks,

Rick

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

5 years ago

The behavior sounds normal and expected to me since I have seen it from day 1 on iPhone as well as android phones.    It has always been possible to see the issue by intentionally & intermittently disabling cellular data, disabling the cellular radio, or going airplane-mode with wifi on.   

Does visual-voicemail notification have any service-level-agreement guarantee as to how quickly it will happen?   Probably not. 

I expect voicemail notifications to sometimes take one or 10 hours and I understand that the only reliable way to know if you have a voicemail is to call voicemail direct via your own phone number or *86/whatever.   I understand this is the case across all cell carriers, all cellphones.

Contributor

• 

67 Messages

5 years ago

@bald271 wrote:

The behavior sounds normal and expected to me since I have seen it from day 1 on iPhone as well as android phones.    It has always been possible to see the issue by intentionally & intermittently disabling cellular data, disabling the cellular radio, or going airplane-mode with wifi on.   

Does visual-voicemail notification have any service-level-agreement guarantee as to how quickly it will happen?   Probably not. 

I expect voicemail notifications to sometimes take one or 10 hours and I understand that the only reliable way to know if you have a voicemail is to call voicemail direct via your own phone number or *86/whatever.   I understand this is the case across all cell carriers, all cellphones.

But this seems inconsistent with the fact the voicemail alert will sound reliably, within a few minutes of the voicemail being left, if for any reason I pick up the phone and thus wake it (unnecessary for a text alert ).  Or, if the "sleeping" (but powered on, of course) phone is charging.  I rarely experience delays in receiving the voicemails themselves (including the visual component), just in receiving the alerts when the phone is asleep (unless it's charging).

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here