I

Sunday, June 23rd, 2024 12:37 AM

Duped into a contract 3 months without a resolution

Xfinity scammed me into a contract and it was almost 2 years before I found out.  I first got with xfinity 3 years ago. Back then I was completely against financing a phone. We just got our first home and the bills were piling up. I got home-internet and xfinity-mobile with a new cheap phone that was going to run a whopping 150$. Everything was supposed to be delivered together so when I didnt receive a phone I got a representative on the phone. They were very apologetic and asked me how would I like to get that phone for free? The implication clearly was:" We messed up and we would like to make up for it by offering you this phone free of charge?" I agreed, it didnt cost me anything and the words like 2 years, contract, payments, or monthly were never used. I actually believe that this an example of a company that really cares and takes fulfilling their obligations to their customers very seriously. How wrong I was. Almost 2 years go by and I have no issues. My bill is the same every month, as it should be, and I have no reason to look at it. I get tired of my old phone and I see a promotion that the new customers can tade in their phone and get a free line. I call xfinity and tell them that I had been their customer for almost 2 years and since there is nothing holding me with xfinity I should be able to cancel my existing line and then be treated as a new customer and get another line for my wife and trade-in my A13 for S23. Thats when I was told that I am indeed on a contract for 2 years and that I still have 3 months left. Turns out the free phone was indeed costing me 10$ a month but they applied 10 dollars in credits that's why my bill never changed. I told them that i would be happy to pay the remaining payments on the phone and since I have been a faithful customer for almost 2 years I should still be allowed to take advantage of the promotion. The representative talked to his supervisor and agreed to do the trade-in and give me the free line. Alas, the next months bill was almost 200$. I was getting charged for the new line, the new phone, and I was even getting charged for the old phone that I traded in.  I didn't get a free line and none of the credits for the trade-in. Worse than that they tried to convince that I never sent the trade-in phone and if I did I must've sent it on my own accord without getting a shipping label. I had to dig up the email that they indeed received the trade-in phone and that the system approved the condition. It was one lie after another. For the next 2 weeks I spend close to 10 hours on the phone either explaining the situation from the beginning or on hold waiting to get transferred. I feel like I was being pushed to quit and just eat the bill. I was tempted and several times I just didnt have the time to stay on top of it. Then the new bill would come around and I had to call them and tell them that they are charging me for the line and a phone I no longer have. Every time they promised to fix it and take it off the bill and every month it would start all over again. When I finally forced the issue and created a ticket the system said that they will get back to me within 48 hours. Its been 3 months and last I checked they are still reviewing it. I've been paying for the second line this entire time and I am forced to stay in the contract because it is going to cost me and arm and a leg to get out of it. The fact that they are still reviewing it after 3 months is clear evidence of not even trying to resolve the issue. Xfinity modus operandi seems to be forcing the people into a contract weather they realize it or not( that's why they didn't bother to send me the phone I bought outright) tell them whatever it takes for them to do so(like when they promised me everything they possibly could when I was about to be off my contract in 3 months for me to get the new phone and start everything all over again) then worry about the fallout later. My next step is to contact the BBB and file a complaint for shady business practices. Perhaps, there is a possibility of class-action proceedings. 

Official Employee

• 

772 Messages

4 months ago

IngvarK I'd love to help. To get started, please use the chat icon in the upper right to enter Direct Messaging and send us a message with your full name and full address.

Here are the detailed steps to direct message us:

• Click "Sign In" if necessary

• Click the "direct messaging" icon (upper right corner of this page)

• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon

• Type "Xfinity Support" in the to line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list

• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window

• Press Enter to send your message

Please let me know if you have any questions or run into any problems. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here