U

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, July 6th, 2023 2:26 PM

Closed

Cannot group text or send attachments to Android

I've had a number of issues that have not been resolved in the 9 months that I've had my iPhone 14 Pro:
1) Cannot send group texts to Android users
2) Cannot send attachments greater than 400KB via iMessage
3) Cannot send attachments at all via MMS (i.e. to Android users)

Originally I could not receive texts from android, but I gave up my old phone number and went with a brand new number, so I was able to resolve that issue (essentially fixed it myself after hours and hours of dealing with Apple/xfinity).  I just spent an entire day on the line with xfinity tech support, and though they try to be helpful, in the end they just say "we checked all your settings, it must be an Apple issue, call them."  That makes zero sense, since Apple deals with iMessage only - and my problems are with SMS/MMS, which is the carrier.  I believe the attachment limit is also set by the carrier, and 400KB seems a little low - "we'll sell you a new iPhone 14 that takes high-resolution photos (that can't be reduced except by running them through a third-party app) but you can't send them to anybody." 

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

1 year ago

SMS/MMS: You shouldn’t have any problems with SMS. MMS is a different story on XM. First of all XM has a 600kb limit whereas most carriers have a 1,200kb or so limit. Most carriers attempt to condense MMS attachments but this process doesn’t always work as well cross-carrier. If you have turned on Group Messaging in your settings, then when you add more than one recipient it becomes an MMS with the 600kb limit and doesn’t always work as well cross-carrier. Since XM counts data used for MMS you should have cellular data enabled. 

iMessage: I suggest that you turn off iMessage and then turn it back on and validate it to your new phone number etc.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

I understand what you're saying-I didn't realize that MMS is the protocol for group messages, so it seems my problems are all MMS related. I would have trouble believing that a text of a few words sent to 2 people would bust the 600KB limit, though.  Seems to me like MMS is not working at all.  I appreciate the good advice, but I don't know where to go from here.  I could keep spending days on the phone with xfinity tech support until I finally get someone who knows what to do, but I've already spent far too much time on this.  Probably going to have to move back to Verizon.

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

@user_5a8d72​ Found this:

XM requires and counts your cellular data for MMS, so enable cellular data. 2.) Go to Settings, Messages, Enable Send as SMS, Enable MMS messaging, and Enable Group Messaging. Group SMS/Text messaging only works properly if everyone in the group has enabled it appropriately.

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

1 year ago

I see that you have sent a DM and I've responded! Please review & respond at your earliest convenience. I also wanted to share with the community what I wrote to you. 

I appreciate you taking time out of your day and want to ensure you’re able to get in touch with an awesome Xfinity Mobile expert to help get this resolved. Due to account security, our options with Xfinity Mobile accounts are very limited on social media at this time. We're unable to perform any device or account specific requests over this platform. Please reach out to our Xfinity Mobile team with the options below. 

Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968
Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968
Chat: xfinity.com/xfinityassistant/?channel=xMobile

I would suggest reaching out on another phone/tablet/computer so that you can troubleshoot the phone with the issue without being on it.

As an Apple lover myself I can offer some personal experience I have completed when I had issues with my Group Messaging after a recent update to my 13 Pro Max. Below are the list of things you can check/do that have worked for me.

The internet connection (either from Wi-Fi or cellular network) is working perfectly. I have rebooted my modem when using WiFi.
Your iPhone has enough storage space to receive new messages.
You have entered the right email addresses or phone numbers of your group contacts.
"Group Messaging" is enabled on your iPhone.
"MMS Messaging" is enabled on your iPhone
Toggle On Airplane Mode and Then Turn It Off- not sure why this has worked personally but I did that once on accident and it fixed the issue.
Restart Your iPhone
Reset Network Settings

1 Message

11 months ago

You have to suspend your mobile line and then contact xfinity either by another phone line or using wifi to reinstate the line. I've tried many other methods to include changing every setting on my phone and messaging app. I've also had customer service walk through every step they could and nothing else works. Again, you need to....

"suspend your mobile line and then contact xfinity either by another phone line or using wifi to reinstate the line"

It worked for me so i wanted to share. 

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Thanks for the tip - I'm going to try it and see if it works (I'll post here once I've tried it).  Man, I hope it does...

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

No dice.  I suspended it and waited about 24 hrs, then had it reinstated, but unfortunately no change.  I guess I'll be waiting until my iPhone is paid off, another 10 months, so I don't have to pay a penalty for paying it off early, and then GET RID OF Xfinity.  I don't care if I have to pay 2X more to go back to Verizon, it'll be worth it to get back to being able to send photos and group messages.  Extremely disappointed with Xfinity.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here