tomlamson's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Sunday, July 23rd, 2023 7:55 PM

Closed

Amazon Photos: "waiting for wifi" when Metered Network set to metered

My Samsung A50 Smart Phone is connected to my WiFi but when I opened Amazon Photos it says "Waiting for WiFi." This just started recently.

I finally discovered that the problem went away if I went to Settings, Connections, Wi-Fi, Settings, View More, Metered Network and changed it to "Treat as unmetered."

"Detect automatically" and "Treat as metered" had the same effect, that is, I got "Waiting for Wifi" in Amazon Photos.

Why is my wifi metered?

What is the downside to setting it to unmetered?

Regular Visitor

• 

15 Messages

1 year ago

I had a chat with Xfinity help and was told that my WiFi is NOT metered.

He was unable to show me how to verify that but, if true, it means that "Detect automatically" is returning the wrong answer.

Does anyone know how to determine if WiFi is metered or not?

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

1 year ago

Xfinity has a data limit of 1.2 terabytes per month for residential customers per the following article:

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/internet-service/data

So, Xfinity does track our usage, they just don’t call it metered per se. Only Android phones have the metered option for users that may help them stay under the limit with help from sites that check your settings is my guess? 

FYI - I have heard from friends that have Airbnbs or have lots of kids streaming everything that they have had to upgrade/increase their WiFi plans. 

Regular Visitor

• 

15 Messages

@DaveO3​ Thanks. Sounds like a good guess.

I alerted the engineers at Amazon Photos about the metering effect on "waiting for wifi."

They allow photos to be uploaded "manually" with wifi but not "automatically."

They had been struggling to understand the problem and hopefully will make a change.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here