D

Saturday, July 22nd, 2023 9:25 AM

Closed

ACP Billing

I started off with internet essentials.(Internet Essentials is a low-cost, high-speed internet plan available to families in financial need, helping to addressing the digital divide.)

When having to recertify my eligibility with Xfinity I was informed by the customer representative that It was an option now to add cell phone service as well & combined as a bundle which total monthly cost would be covered by the ACP PROGRAM (The new federal Affordable Connectivity Program (ACP) helps households afford internet and devices they need for school, work, healthcare, and more. The ACP offers these benefits for eligible households: Up to a $30 per month discount on high-speed internet service through participating internet providers.) & another called Lifeline(an FCC program that helps make communications services more affordable for low-income consumers). Xfinity also offered a iphone free with the consumer (myself) paying only the shipping & taxes for the iphone. 

Of course I opted for this & completed the process with the Xfinity representatives assistance. A few months after my bill incurred charges that I was not able to pay. This happened due to having to recertify for one of the 3 programs. Once I contacted Xfinity with the issue it was resolved and we continued services. On Dec 2022 we lost our home becoming homeless & had not found new residents until April of 2023. Towards the end of April we recieved notice that the Xfinity mobile service was interupted due to none payment. At that point we had not been able to make calls on the iphone which had the Xfinity service. Yet monthly we had been charged to this current date fees for service. Once I had noticed I then called Xfinity to inquire as to how/why this was. Xfinity themselves had trouble even pulling up said account then could not give any information as to how/why either. In hopes not to incurre more charges I asked how to terminate service. I was told I could not more or less. Being a low income customer on programs that only low income person's can obtain I asked why or better yet how was my account allowed to incur such a outstanding debt. To which I did not receive an answer.

Under the ACP Program It states :

How Does the ACP Protect Consumers?

FCC rules protect Affordable Connectivity Program recipients by:

1. Ensuring that consumers are not liable for early termination fees;

2. Reducing the potential for bill shock or other financial harms;

With the Internet Essentials 

Low-income users still face Comcast's 1.2TB data cap, which adds $10 to a monthly bill for each additional block of 50GB. But data-cap overage charges are capped at $30 per month for Internet Essentials subscribers

With my bundle being Internet Essentials for online access how come my bill was allowed to go over that monthly payment amount ? My Xfinity Mobile bill stands currently at $600 plus awaiting it's next bill cycle charge which will also include a undisired late as well. Can anyone explain to me how one is to avoid being included in the poverty statistics when corporations are allowed to take advantage of the low income consumer.

Currently, in the state of Utah most if not all multi dwelling homes do not offer more then a 6 month lease on rentals. Once this new unpaid charge hits the credit bureaus I'm most definitely sure to find myself in a more troubled situation. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

1 year ago

Xfinity tried to charge me, and I’m on ACP, 65 years old, for data over use.  My iPhone is in my house 95% of the time working off the WiFi.

Then they said it was my iPad that caused more data to be used. [Edited: "Inflammatory"].  My iPad NEVER leaves my house, cellular data is off and my iPad only works off my WiFi.  I received a $98 bill.  Finally I asked for someone in charge, that’s just a joke. 
So I went into the Store.  They informed me I had never went over my data, they called and my bill was gone.  They got caught trying [Edited: "Inflammatory"] me into paying something I didn’t owe.  Watch these people! Watch your bill every month!  I’m so sorry this happened to you. [Edited: "Inflammatory"]

Lostrn08

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here