Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

60 Messages

Friday, December 14th, 2018 9:00 AM

Closed

ANSWERED: What to Do If You Can't Make Calls with Your Xfinity Voice Service

What to do if you can't receive calls with your Xfinity Voice service

Here are a few solutions to try when it appears your phone service isn’t working.

Troubleshooting tips

If you're having trouble receiving phone calls with your Xfinity Voice service, try whichever of the following steps applies to you.

• Make sure your phone's ringer is turned on.
  • If you hear half a ring on incoming calls, you may have Call Forwarding turned on.
  • Plug a working corded phone into different jacks to make sure a malfunctioning phone or jack isn't causing the issue.
  • Check out our tips to troubleshoot your phone service if you can't make or receive calls.

What To Do if You Don’t Have Dial Tone With Your Xfinity Voice Service

No dial tone on your phone? We'll tell you what to do.

Try This First

If you're experiencing trouble with your phone service (such as you don't have a dial tone or you can't break it), please check to make sure all phones are on the hook and that cordless phone batteries are charged.

Still Having Issues?

Please follow the suggestions below to try and restore service:

• Try to plug a working corded phone into different jacks to find out if the issue is isolated to one phone or jack.
  • Plug the phone directly into your Xfinity Voice modem to determine if the issue may be related to the wiring inside your home.
  • If you have two phone numbers with Xfinity Voice service, and only one is working, please contact us.
  • Check the lights on your digital voice modem. Depending on the light sequence displaying, you may need to reset your modem.

Fix Your Xfinity Voice Service with the Xfinity My Account App

Having an issue with your Xfinity Voice service? Use the Xfinity My Account app on your Apple or Android mobile device to view self-help options or request further assistance.

Device Self-Help Information and Troubleshooting Guides

You can access self-help information and troubleshooting guides for other Xfinity services as well. Learn more about fixing your Xfinity TV using the Xfinity My Account app and fixing your Internet connection using the Xfinity My Account app.

Common Problems & Solutions

No Dial Tone?

• Make sure all phones are on the hook and that cordless phone batteries are charged.
  • Try to plug a working corded phone into different jacks to find out if the problem is isolated to one phone or one jack.
Not Receiving Calls?
  • Check the ringer on your phone to make sure it is turned on.
  • If the phone rings a half ring on incoming calls, Call Forwarding may be activated.
Need more advanced help? Follow the below instructions to troubleshoot your Xfinity Voice service with the Xfinity My Account app:
  1. Log into the Xfinity My Account app on your Apple or Android device, and tap the Voice icon at the bottom of the screen.
    The My Account app home screen with the Voice option at the bottom.
  2. Tap Common Problems & Solutions.
    The My Account app Voice home screen with Common Problems & Solutions in the middle.
  3. Tapping any of the topics displayed will provide more information about managing your Xfinity Voice service, including FAQs:
    • Understanding Account Numbers/Username and PINs
    • How To Set-up Your Xfinity Voicemail
    • How To Change the Number of Rings Before Going To Voicemail
      A list of Common Problems & Solutions with three options.

Troubleshooting Steps

1. You will be asked to identify the problem.
  2. After selecting the item to troubleshoot, the app will run diagnostics. The app will initiate account, service and device level checks.
  3. Based on these checks, it will present options to correct whatever issues are occurring.
  4. You can reset modems, fix entitlement issues, be alerted when outages are resolved and more.
  5. The app will ask if the problem has been fixed.
  6. If the problem has not been fixed, please see the Additional Troubleshooting - Request Assistance section below for more options.

Begin Troubleshooting

1. Log into the Xfinity My Account app on your Apple or Android device, and tap the Voice icon at the bottom of the screen.
    The My Account app home screen with the Voice option at the bottom.
  2. Tap Troubleshoot.
    The My Account app Voice home screen with Common Problems & Solutions in the middle.
  3. Select the service issue that you are currently experiencing.
    Troubleshooting screen with on-screen messaging: 'What seems to be the trouble?'; and three options beneath it.
  4. The connection status of your Xfinity Voice modem will be checked, which may take a few seconds.
    Troubleshooting screen with on-screen messaging:

Online Troubleshooting

If your Xfinity Voice modem is online, restarting it can resolve many common issues. If you're currently using your Voice service, please finish up all phone calls; otherwise, any in-progress calls will be disconnected.

• If you would like to proceed, tap Restart device. Restarting your modem should take about five minutes.
    Troubleshooting screen with on-screen messaging:
  • The My Account app will send a restart signal to your modem.
    Troubleshooting screen with messaging:
  • Once the restart signal has been sent, please wait about five minutes for the modem to light up again. Then, check if you can hear a dial tone on your Xfinity Voice line. If this fixed your issue, tap Yes.
  • To exit Troubleshooting, tap Done. Then - you're all set!
    Troubleshooting screen messaging:

Offline Troubleshooting

If your Xfinity Voice modem is detected to be offline, please try powercycling the device to bring it back online by following these steps:

1. Unplug your modem from the power cord and coax cable. If there is a battery present, please remove it.
  2. Wait at least 15 seconds.
  3. Plug your device back in to power it on and reconnect the coax cables. If you removed the battery, place it back in. Then, tap OK, I've completed these steps.

Home Wiring Troubleshooting

If you already powercycled and/or restarted your Xfinity Voice modem, and the original issue still persists, please note that home wiring can affect your ability to make calls. Make sure all phones are on the hook and that any cordless phone batteries are charged.

• If you are using home wiring, tap Yes.
    Troubleshooting screen messaging:
  • Try plugging your phone line directly into your Xfinity Voice modem. Find the port behind the device and plug your phone line directly into Tel 1, as pictured below. If this fixed your issue, tap Yes.
    Troubleshooting screen with messaging: 'Try plugging your phone line directly into the device.' 'Yes' and 'No' options are below this.
  • Then, check if you can hear a dial tone on your Xfinity Voice line, which would indicate home wiring issues. If so, tap Yes again.

Additional Resources: 

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/trouble-receiving-calls
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/my-account-app-voice-mobile-troubleshooting
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/troubleshooting-no-dial-tone
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/what-the-lights-mean-on-emta
https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/troubleshooting-your-cable-modem
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here