U

Sunday, May 5th, 2024 8:31 PM

Trying to get old phone number back

I'm trying to get my old phone number back but the xfinity customer service said it was being used by someone else...however when I tried calling the number it's out of service...meaning no one is using it. How can I get my old number back?

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

2 months ago

Hi @user_xx24lw,

Thank you for reaching out. I hope all is well. I understand you'd like to get an older number you had back, but you were told it wasn't possible when contacting our support team. I'm sure that was not the answer you were hoping for, and it's caused more confusion as you notice the number is still disconnected. Is this a number we gave you at Xfinity, or did you bring it over from another provider? 

3 Messages

Hi @XfinityVianney my husband has had the phone number for over a decade. He believes it started at AT&T, then his family plan moved to Xfinity in 2022 bringing the number with him. To make a long story short, the phone number was disconnected in September 2023 by the account owner and I brought him onto my plan at Verizon where he had to get a new number. We've been trying to get the number back ever since, but because we weren't xfinity mobile customers we weren't getting very far. Now he's an xfinity mobile customer, so we're seeing if we can get it back.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

If it was initially their number, it likely got back into their number pool. I know it's not the answer you wanted to hear, but it would no longer be possible since the number was disconnected and no longer belongs to the person bringing it over at this time @user_xx24lw

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

2 months ago

@user_xx24lw Once the new line gets assigned a number, we won't be able to port your old number if it's been disconnected. We'd need the line active, and we would need the pin/permission from AT&T since the number originated there.

3 Messages

@XfinityVianney The number/line was disconnected at Xfinity by the old account owner. When she tried to reactivate it so that we could port it over, xfinity wouldn't do it because the line had been disconnected so she couldn't access the number anymore. Does AT&T technically own the number? Or since it was xfinity that disconnected the line can they reconnect it?

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here