W

Visitor

• 

1 Message

Monday, August 7th, 2023 5:54 PM

Closed

How is mobile data usage calculated?

My husband and I recently switched to Xfinity mobile.  With our previous provider, we were sharing 1GB of data (for 3 years) and never used it all.  We went with the same plan with Xfinity and quickly reached 50% so switched to unlimited (for both).  I am now using approx. 2GB and his is using 1+GB?!?   We aren't doing anything different than before (we are elderly, don't stream, download movies, music etc. from phone)  We are at home on our Xfinity wi-fi most of the time.   We do have Xfinity internet/wi-fi  & we have Xfinity hotspot enabled.   Why has our data usage dramatically increased since switching ?  How is mobile data usage calculated?  Thank you

Accepted Solution

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

11 months ago

You didn’t say what type of phones you have (Apple Or Android), but it shouldn’t really matter except that settings are different. 

Some suggestions:

1.) Turn off Personal Hotspot

2.) Turn off WiFi Assist

3.) For Background App Refresh select WiFi only

4.) If asked whether you want to use Cellular for a software update, select NO or WiFi only

As stated in previous comment, find your device cellular usage page to find the problem, and reset this each cycle. Set a reminder to do this. 

XM does count data used for MMS and Visual Voicemail but these shouldn’t count for much. 

Make sure that you are connecting to a valid WiFi that is actually connected to the internet, if not your phones will default to cellular data. 

Contributor

• 

129 Messages

@DaveO3​ 

You seem very knowledgeable on all things cell/Xfinity, so let me briefly hijack this thread because I'm in a similar situation as the OP.  I've had a shared 3GB plan with Xfinity for ... years? now and we have never used more than 1.5GB, I think.  I got a notice about hitting the 80% mark today so I looked and here's the last 6 months:

MAR     .15 GB (that's POINT one five)

APR     1.6 GB

MAY    1.83 GB

JUN     1.61 GB

JUL      1.66 GB

AUG     2.37 GB

Interestingly, I started having phone issues after swapping sims in March or April, and started complaining loudly and vigorously to Xfinity about the resulting issues and their inability to resolve them.  I have to wonder if they're petty enough to be messing with my usage stats as a result of me being a critic.

I'm on an iPhone SE (original!) and, in recent power outages, because I had NO service (wifi out was expected, cellular out was NOT expected and freaked me out because I couldn't receive weather warnings) I may have made some adjustments to cell settings.  I have made all of the adjustments that you recommended above.

I don't know if you have any relationship to Xfinity but wonder if this COULD be something that has changed on THEIR end, as my usage patterns/habits really have NOT changed.

Thanks.

Problem Solver

• 

755 Messages

@Anon2​ XM treats me just as bad as everyone. They messed up my $300 reward from last September but finally resolved it and then dropped me from XM Diamond Rewards?

The only data items that I am aware of is that last year they were not always counting some of the ultra high speed 5G  data, and users mistakenly allowing software updates over cellular when asked. 

My data has remained consistent. 

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

11 months ago

Mobile data is calculated at anytime using your phone not connected to a Wi-Fi either in the home or outside the home. Our Mobile team may have more details to what is using the data which you can reach them at: 

SMS Text Message: 1 (888) 936-4968

Phone: 1 (888) 936-4968

The phone should show what type of data it is using on the main page at all times. The most I could tell you is to keep an eye on when it's on data vs Wi-Fi when using the phone to confirm you aren't using data when at home. I can't see your specifics for the mobile account, but I do know if I go downstairs into my son's room which is a dead spot I need to get fixed, it would move to mobile data as the Wi-Fi wouldn't reach. 

Contributor

• 

129 Messages

@XfinityEricB​   I can see what's using the data.  What I don't understand is that my usage habits have not changed.  I have excellent wifi coverage not only throughout my house, but outside it, as well.  We have had a couple of power outages resulting in no wifi (and no cell service either) but, even if those did cause the spike, it would've been for 2 of the last 6 months, not 5 of them.

The only thing that has changed since the spike started is that Xfinity gave me a new sim card in an attempt to resolve problems created when Xfinity told me I could swap sim cards between my phone with no downside (which was patently untrue).

Official Employee

• 

793 Messages

Have you tried reaching out to one our wonderful Mobile experts at the number above?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

1 Message

I also have this issue. I switched from Verizon to Xfinity mobile. My habits have not changed. While on Verizon I never exceeded 18GB usage. Same habits and a switch to Xfinity Mobile and the data usage is over 300gb per month. I'm on an unlimited plan so at least I am not being charged for it, but I do experience reduced throughput which is said to occur over something like 15GB. I work from home; I am in my home most of the time and always on my xfinity wifi and that shows on the home page. Why isn't there an xfinity mobile support person chiming in here? We had a very painful switch over that took many hours, and by many I mean 2 to 3 hours per day on at least 3 days to get all of our phones switched and with the old numbers. I dread contacting xfinity mobile support and sitting on the phone for all those hours.

Official Employee

• 

793 Messages

Hello @user_veke4t. Thanks for being a wonderful Xfinity Mobile customer! Please check your phone settings, make sure WiFi assist is turned off. You can also restrict which apps are even allowed to use data. Your phone also keeps track of what apps are using data. Xfinity Mobile can not determine what is using your data, but your phone keeps track of what does. 

Some activities always use cellular, even if there is a WiFi connection. Specifically, Notifications, Visual Voicemail and MMS messaging. The reason is that it is the cellular carrier that provides these services and it doesn't know about your WiFi connection.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

11 months ago

@WeddingWoman 

Turn off mobile data so your phone won't use it. Only turn it on if you need it, and turn it off when you're done.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here