Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

60 Messages

Tuesday, April 24th, 2018 7:00 AM

Closed

ANSWERED: How to upgrade your devices when you receive an upgrade letter from us?

How To Update Your Xfinity Equipment Online

Over time, Internet and TV equipment must be updated to keep up with the latest technology. If you rent equipment from Comcast, you are eligible for an update — on us!

If you own your equipment, please see more about updating your modem for instructions on how to find a modem compatible with your services.

Whether you own or rent, we will contact you when it is time for an update.

Customers who rent equipment and are eligible for a Getting Started kit can order their new equipment at xfinity.com/equipmentupdate.

To see these instructions in a different language, check out:

Updating Equipment Online via Getting Started kit

1. Click the Update Now button in the email provided or navigate to xfinity.com/equipmentupdate. You will be prompted to login using your Xfinity ID and password.
    Blue Update now button in center of the page

2. Click the Get Started button.
    Get Started button center right

3. Review the details in the What You Have and What You'll Get fields to make sure the equipment listed is correct. Click the Continue button when you're ready to proceed.
    What You Have is on the left. What You'll Get is on the right.

4. Review your shipping and delivery address details. Then, click the Submit Order button to complete the process.
    Submit Order button at bottom right

5. A confirmation message will appear, and we'll send a tracking number to the preferred email address on your account so you can monitor your shipment.
    Confirmation message in center of screen

6. If you are not eligible for a Getting Started kit, you can Schedule a Callback for a representative to assist you with the installation process.
    Schedule a Callback screen

7. Once you schedule the callback, you will receive a confirmation message.
    Confirmation message in center of screen

How To Upgrade Your Modem

Get the most from your wireless home network by upgrading your equipment and updating firmware.

Because outdated equipment and firmware can slow down what would otherwise be a fast connection, you'll want to make sure your network setup is always up-to-date to get the most out of your Xfinity Internet service.

Like computers and mobile devices, new WiFi equipment models are released regularly. While you don't need to immediately update your equipment to keep your home network running, you could be missing out on improved services if you continue to use older models.

Upgrade Your Owned Modem

If you want to enjoy our faster internet speeds, such as Blast!, a DOCSIS 3.0 or above modem is required. You can rent one of our DOCSIS 3.0 Xfinity xFi Gateways, or you can buy an approved modem at a retail outlet near you. If you own your equipment, be sure to check My Device Info to find out if your equipment is compatible with your internet speed.

If you rent equipment through Comcast and have been notified that you are eligible for an equipment upgrade, please visit www.xfinity.com/equipmentupdate.

Before purchasing a new modem, be sure to check My Device Info for compatible devices..

Benefits of Renting From Us

One advantage of renting an Xfinity xFi Gateway is that we regularly update our firmware automatically, so you don't have to check for new updates. Gateways also support the fastest internet speeds over WiFi to ensure you're getting optimal performance and coverage throughout your home. Learn more about the benefits of renting an xFi Gateway.

Using a Modem and Router

If you don't have an Xfinity xFi Gateway, you'll need to periodically check for firmware updates. Generally, you can check for these updates through your router's administration site. For specific instructions, please see your router's user guide.

FAQs

Ready to order? If you get a notice to update your equipment, follow the below steps to order new equipment.

For rented equipment like TV Boxes and modems, you can choose one of the following four options:

1. Go to xfinity.com/equipmentupdate and follow the on-screen prompts to order new equipment.
    • Note: Available to some customers.
  2. Contact us to place an order, ask questions or schedule a professional installation.
    • Note: An additional fee may apply.
  3. For TV Boxes, just use your own TV! Go to channel 1995 and follow the instructions to get a new TV Box shipped to your home. (Channel 1995 is only available in some areas.)
  4. Visit us to exchange your existing equipment at an Xfinity Store or Comcast Service Center.

If you own equipment, please visit My Device Info to find compatible modems for your level of service. You can also check to see if your existing modem is up-to-date.

To see these instructions in a different language, see:

Replacing your equipment FAQs

Why am I being asked to replace my equipment?
Over time, internet and TV equipment must be updated to keep up with the latest technology. If you rent equipment from Comcast, you can get an update – on us!

Learn more about the importance of upgrading your equipment. 

How much will my new equipment cost?
If you rent equipment and install the new TV Box and/or modem yourself, there's no charge for exchanging. We can also schedule a professional installation, but an additional fee may apply.

What do I need to do with the old equipment once I receive my new device(s)?
There are three options for returning your rented equipment:

• By mail: Use the return label in your Getting Started kit.
  • In store: Exchange your existing equipment at an Xfinity Retail Store.
  • By appointment: If your new equipment is professionally installed, your technician takes your existing equipment.

Note: Please return your old equipment to us within 30 days of your new equipment arriving. There is a charge for unreturned equipment.

How quickly will I get my new equipment?
If you choose to have your equipment mailed to you, you should receive your new equipment in three to five business days. If an email address has been confirmed, you'll receive a tracking number.

If you have any additional questions, contact us and mention "equipment update."

Updating your TV Box FAQS

What happens if I don't replace my TV Box?
If you don't replace your TV Box, you start losing HD channels, or in some cases, all channels.

I have more than one TV Box – how do I know which one(s) must be replaced?
Tune to channel1995on each of your TVs and follow the instructions. It lets you know if a TV Box is compatible with the upcoming changes or needs to be replaced. (TV Adapters – devices that are approximately the size of a deck of cards, don't need to be replaced.)

If you're eligible for X1, we'll replace all of your TV Boxes for a "whole home" update.

What happens if I have a DVR?
If you have a non-X1 TV Box, saved recordings will not transfer over and recordings for future programs will need to be reset on your new TV Box.Learn more about setting show recordings.

If you have an X1 TV Box, the recordings that are physically stored on your TV Box and on the cloud will be transferred during your move. Any recordings not available in the Cloud will be lost. These include:

• Recordings older than a year.
  • Recordings deleted from the Cloud because they exceeded the current Cloud capacity of 60 hours (150 in some locations*) Cloud capacity.
  • Recordings on adult programming and pay per view events.
  • Recordings that failed in the Cloud.

*X1 Cloud DVR storage hours are increasing from 60 to 150. We began launching this update at the end of April 2020 and expect it to be complete by June 2020.

Updating your modem FAQ

What happens if I don't replace my modem?
If you don't replace your modem:

• You won't get the latest security updates.
  • You won't experience the fastest in-home WiFi.
  • You might experience service interruptions or slow internet speeds.

Additional information

Visit our Online Support Center to find common solutions and self-help options, troubleshoot or manage your account and more.

The easiest way to manage and troubleshoot your Xfinity experience is with the Xfinity app! Download it for free from Google Play or the App Store, or text "APP" to 266278.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/replace-your-xfinity-equipment

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here