Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

60 Messages

Tuesday, August 6th, 2019 12:00 PM

Closed

ANSWERED: How to complete a Comcast account ownership change?

Changing Ownership of a Comcast Account

We know there are times when you may need to change the ownership of a Comcast account. For example, you may need to handle the account of a friend deployed in the military, or you may experience a death in the family or another life-changing event. We are here to help.

If an Xfinity account holder passes away, we’ll do all that we can to help you through this difficult time.

In the event this happens you may close the account permanently or transfer ownership of the account of the deceased to yourself. Begin the process here, and read below for step-by-step instructions.

What To Do

Contact us and provide the agent with the type of account change you wish to make. They'll ask you for some information to help process your request, including your email address.

• Following your conversation, you'll receive an email with a link to upload your completed forms and any necessary supporting documents.
    • If you don't have an email address, visit your local Xfinity Store for further assistance.
  • The change of account ownership may result in the disconnection of the existing account and creation of a new account, depending on the scenario.

Please allow three business days from your time of submission for a representative to contact you about completing your account ownership change request.

Xfinity Mobile customers experiencing a life-changing event impacting only their mobile account or any secondary lines on their account should contact Xfinity Mobile directly at 1-888-936-4968 to request necessary changes.

What to do when an account holder passes away

If an Xfinity account holder passes away, we’ll do all that we can to help you through this difficult time.

In the event this happens you may close the account permanently or transfer ownership of the account of the deceased to yourself. Begin the process here, and read below for step-by-step instructions.

If you are looking to change, move or cancel your Xfinity services for any other reason, follow the directions in how to change, move, or cancel your Xfinity services.

Closing the account

If you would like to close the account take the following steps:

1. Visit our bereavement support page on xfinity.com.
  2. After completing the security check, choose Close the account permanently and upload the documents listed.
    • Note: If you do not have the death certificate, you must upload a valid form of your identification (like your state-issued driver's license, ID card, or U.S. passport) and accept the terms and conditions to continue.
  3. Enter information about the deceased and yourself and clickContinue. Please note that some fields are required.
  4. You’ll be asked when you would like to disconnect services on the account. You have a few options here:
    • If you’d like to disconnect the services as soon as possible, choose Disconnect now.
    • If you’d like the services to continue for a while, choose Select a different date to disconnect, then select a date to disconnect up to 60 days after the current date.
    • To avoid billing for services that have gone unused, you can pre-date the service disconnection by choosing Select a different date to disconnect and selecting a date up to 120 days before the current date.
  5. Once you’ve chosen when to disconnect the services, click Continue.
  6. Next, let us know where to mail the final statement. You can choose an address already associated with the account or enter a new one. When you’re done, click Continue.
  7. Review all the information you entered to make sure it’s correct, then click Submit.
  8. You’ll see a confirmation message, along with information on how to return any equipment.

Transferring account ownership

If you would like to transfer ownership of the account to yourself, take the following steps:

1. Visit our bereavement support page on xfinity.com.
  2. After completing the security check, choose Transfer account ownership to me and upload the requested documents.
    • Note: If you do not have the death certificate, you must upload a valid form of your identification (like your state-issued driver's license, ID card, or U.S. passport) and accept the terms and conditions to continue.
  3. Enter information about the deceased and yourself, then click Continue. Please note that some fields are required.
  4. Review all the information you entered to make sure it’s correct, then click Submit.
  5. You’ll see a confirmation message letting you know that we’ll be in touch with you when the transfer process is complete, or if there is any additional information we need.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Account Change Request form?
The Account Change Request form is a document used to identify specific changes a customer or person acting on behalf of the customer needs to make to an Xfinity account in instances of the death of a customer, military deployment or other life-changing event.

What is the affidavit?
The affidavit is in support of the Account Change Request form and can be used in place of other legal documents such as a death certificate.

What do I need in order to be eligible to take ownership of another person's account?
The current account can’t be past due. You will need to provide us with certain documentation including signatures from both the current and new account holders/primary users. You will need to provide some information so that we can verify your identity. You may be asked to pay a deposit or authorize us to perform a credit check.

What documentation do I need to disconnect an account due to death?
You will need a copy of the account holder's/primary user's death certificate or valid Government issued picture identification and Xfinity Affidavit for Deceased Customer.

If the account holder/primary user dies, how will I receive any refunds owed on the account?
All refunds are processed within 30 days of the disconnect date and will either be mailed to the person and address on the affidavit or to the billing address on file in the deceased account holder's/primary user's name or care of the estate of the deceased customer when requested. All equipment must be returned on the account prior to any refunds being processed.

What should I do with the equipment when disconnecting an account due to death or equipment I no longer want after taking over an account?
All Comcast equipment (TV Boxes, remotes, power cords, modems etc.) should be returned to your local Comcast Service Center/Xfinity Store or to your nearest UPS location.

Is there an early termination fee if I disconnect an account due to death?
No. An early termination fee is not applied when an account is disconnected due to the death of the account holder/primary user.

Is there an early termination fee if I disconnect an Xfinity Mobile account due to death?
No. An early termination fee is not applied when an account is disconnected due to the death of the account holder/primary user; however, the final bill will include the remaining balance of the device payment plan (DPP) where applicable.

What documentation do I need to be added as a manager for someone that is currently deployed in the military?
You will need to provide active duty deployment papers for the account holder/primary user along with either a letter from the account holder/primary user giving you permission to act on behalf of the account holder/primary user or a copy of the account holder's/primary user's power of attorney that names you as the person authorized to act on behalf of the account holder/primary user.

What documentation do I need to be added as a manager for someone that is currently incarcerated?
You will need to provide proof that the account holder/primary user is incarcerated along with either a letter from the account holder/primary user giving you permission to act on behalf of the account holder/primary user or a copy of the account holder's/primary user's power of attorney that names you as the person authorized to act on behalf of the account holder.

What documentation do I need to be added as a manager for someone who is incapacitated?
You will need to provide a court order that names you as the guardian or conservator of the account holder/primary user.

What documentation do I need to change the name on an account (e.g., marriage, divorce, legal name change)?
You will need to provide proof of the name change by supplying a marriage license, divorce decree, or government-issued identification with your new name.

How do I submit the documentation needed?
There are two ways you can submit required documentation:

• Visit our self-service bereavement support page and follow the instructions provided, or
  • We can open a case for you.
    • You’ll receive an email with a link where you can securely upload your documents.

Will I receive a new account number?
No, you will maintain the same account number.

How can I transfer Xfinity Voice details, voicemail, and email from an old account to my new account?
Comcast can transfer all Xfinity Voice call details, voicemail and email into your name if you are able to provide documentation that we have requested.

Additional Resources

Changing Ownership of a Comcast Account
What To Do When an Account Holder Passes Away
Account Change Request FAQs
https://www.xfinity.com/support/account-management/bereavement
How To Transfer Primary Rights to Another User
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here