Manage user roles and permissions on Xfinity accounts
As an Xfinity customer, you can give others the ability to access your account and take certain actions. Account owners or primary users can decide who has access to an account and what they can do, including things like paying your bill, adding or canceling Xfinity services and accessing Xfinity apps.
You can have up to seven users, including yourself, on an account. By adding a user, you allow them access to your subscriptions, such as Xfinity X1 TV viewing.
Note: Each account user must reside at the premises where the Xfinity services are provided. If you’re trying to link separate Xfinity accounts with existing Xfinity IDs, follow these instructions.
User roles defined
By default, the account holder is designated as the Primary user. The Primary user can then invite three Secondary user role types to the account: Managers ,Members, and Viewers.
If you are the account holder and are not listed as the Primary user, have the Primary user follow the steps in the Transfer Primary rights section of this article below. This may involve the Primary user inviting you to the account by following the steps in the Add and invite users to your Xfinity account section below.
- The Primary user has full administrative access for the Comcast account.
- By selecting the role they want the invited user to have, they can control what those users are allowed to see and do.
- Managers are able to do a majority of the features that the Primary user is able to, with the exception of assigning roles, updating an account’s phone number/email address, and transferring any of the account’s functions or administrative rights to another user.
- Note: Managers do not have access to the Xfinity Mobile website or app functionality, and will need support agent assistance to make any changes on the Xfinity Mobile account. If a credit check is required, only the account holder can authorize it.
- Members are able to view services, troubleshoot and manage existing appointments, access Xfinity Home, return devices, and access Stream content.
- Viewers are only able to watch Stream content, view, troubleshoot, or return devices, and manage existing appointments.
Note: Members and Viewers are unable to log in to, make any changes on, or get customer support for Xfinity Mobile accounts.
For a full breakdown of the actions that different user types can make, see the simplified user roles and permissions.
Change user roles
To change a user's role:
- Sign in to xfinity.com as the Primary user.
- Scroll to view the users on the account.
- Click the user whose role you'd like to change.
- Under the Manager Permissions section, click Change Permissions.
- Choose the user role you'd like the user to have, then click Continue.
- When the role is successfully changed, you'll see a confirmation message.
Note: You can change a user’s voice permissions independent of their user role. On their user page, under the Allow Access to Voice Features section, click the button on the right to toggle the user’s voice permissions to ON or OFF.
Transfer Primary rights
Only a Primary user can transfer Primary user functions to a Secondary user, making them the Primary. The original Primary user then becomes a Secondary user and will lose the ability to:
Create and manage Secondary accounts and users.
- Manage product features.
- View and pay bills (unless designated as a Manager by the new Primary user).
- Access online voicemail (if you have Xfinity Voice) until the new Primary user brings back your access.
- Manage and pay the bill associated with the Xfinity Mobile account (if subscribed).
- Primary rights can only be transferred if a Secondary user has already been invited to the account by following the steps in the Add and invite users to your Xfinity account section above.
- Only Primary users are eligible to join and manage Xfinity Rewards.
- Changing the Primary user role doesn't transfer financial responsibility/ownership of the account.
To transfer primary rights, you must:
- Sign in to the account and identity page as the Primary user.
- Scroll down and click the user to whom you want to transfer Primary role.
- Under Member Permissions, click Transfer Primary role.
- On the Transfer Your Primary Rights page, click Set Primary to complete the process.
- You'll see a confirmation screen.
How To Remove an Xfinity ID
Removing an Xfinity ID permanently deletes a secondary user’s Xfinity ID. All settings and preferences for this user will be erased.
- When you remove a secondary ID, you'll likely lose emails, voicemails and other information associated with the ID.
- Be sure to print or save copies of anything you want to keep.
- If the ID is linked to more than one account, it will not be deleted.
- The ID will lose access to the account it was removed from.
Note: If this ID has made scheduled payments, those will need to be canceled prior to removing the ID. Only primary users can remove an Xfinity ID.
Xfinity xFi users can also manage access through xFi
Remove a Secondary ID
- Sign in toxfinity.com as the primary user.
- Click the Account icon and then click Account and Identity.
- Scroll down to locate the user you wish to remove and click their name.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Remove from account to permanently delete the ID from your account.
- You'll be asked to confirm if you want to remove the selected user. Click Remove.
Visit our Online Support Center
to find common solutions and self-help options, troubleshoot or manage your account and more.
The easiest way to manage and troubleshoot your Xfinity experience is with the Xfinity app! Download it for free from Google Play or the App Store, or text "APP" to 266278.