ANSWERED: What is the Xfinity Stream TV App and How Does It Work
Comcast is focused on creating the best entertainment experiences across platforms and continuing to give Xfinity TV customers more choice in how, when and where they access their content.
If you subscribe to Xfinity TV, you can live stream your entire channel lineups and Xfinity On Demand libraries on mobile devices or computers via the Xfinity Stream app and Xfinity Stream portal (xfinity.com/stream) while connected to your in-home Xfinity network. While out of the home, you can still live stream portions of your channel lineup and Xfinity On Demand library.
**Note**: Pay per view content is currently not available for live streaming.
Download the App
Get the entertainment you love anywhere, on any device with the free Xfinity Stream app. Everything is included at no additional cost, only for Xfinity customers. Download the Xfinity Stream app for your mobile device using the links above.
- Stream your entire channel lineup at home.
- Watch over 200* live networks, sports, and news on the go.
Xfinity On Demand
- Access your entire Xfinity On Demand library at home.
- Stream up to tens of thousands* of On Demand titles on the go.
- Download Xfinity On Demand Purchases for offline viewing.
X1 or Xfinity Instant TV DVR
- Stream DVR recordings from anywhere.
- Download DVR recordings for offline viewing.
Prefer online on a larger screen? Visit xfinity.com/stream.
**Note**: Standard data charges apply to app download and usage. Check with your carrier. To view system requirements, see Xfinity Stream App System Requirements. Some features and programming vary depending on location and level of service.
**Note**: We'll give you a tour using the Apple version of the mobile app. The procedures are essentially the same for the Android mobile app, but the steps or screens may be slightly different.
What You'll Need
Xfinity TV (X1, non-X1 or Xfinity Instant TV) service
Cloud-Based DVR service to use the DVR functionality
Connection to your in-home Xfinity network for select live TV and On Demand streaming
Any Internet or mobile connection for watching TV Everywhere (TV Go) programming
A mobile device that meets the Xfinity Stream App System Requirements
Your Xfinity username and password
**Note**: Some Xfinity Stream app features vary by subscription type. Xfinity Internet is required to stream in-home only live TV and Xfinity On Demand content.
Minimum System Requirements
Android Device RequirementsSupported Operating Systems
To find and download the Xfinity Stream app in the Google Play Store or Amazon App stores, your device must be running Android 5.0 or later. Any smartphone or tablet running Android 4 or earlier is not supported.
Supported Xfinity Stream App Versions
To access and watch all content, including content available to watch when out-of-home, Xfinity Stream app version 4.11.0 or later is required. Please visit the Google Play Store to download the latest version.
Amazon Device RequirementsThe Xfinity Stream app is compatible with the following Amazon devices:
- Kindle Fire HD (2013)
- Kindle Fire HDX WAN (2013)
- Kindle Fire HDX (2013)
- Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (2013)
- Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 (2013)
- Fire HD 6 (2014)
- Fire HD 7 (2014)
- Fire HDX 8.9 WAN (2014)
- Fire HDX 8.9 (2014)
- Fire HD 10 (2015)
- Fire HD 8 (2015)
- Fire (2015)
- Fire HD 8 (2016)
- Fire Phone
Supported Xfinity Stream App Versions
To access and watch all content, including content available to watch when out-of-home, Xfinity Stream app version 4.11.0 or later is required. Please visit the Amazon App Store to download the latest version.
Apple Device RequirementsThe Xfinity Stream app is compatible with the following Apple devices and operating systems.
- iPhone 4s or later, optimized for latest iPhones and tablets (iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPad Pro)
- iPad 2 or later
- iPad Air
- iPad Mini
- iPod touch fourth generation or later
To find and download the Xfinity Stream app in the Apple App Store, your device must be running iOS 10.3 or later. AirPlay is not supported.
Supported Xfinity Stream App Versions
To access and watch all content, including content available to watch when out-of-home, Xfinity Stream app version 4.11.2 or later is required. Please visit the Apple App Store to download the latest version.
Streaming and Downloading RequirementsTo stream or download programs in the Xfinity Stream app:
- You must be an Xfinity customer.
- If you are an Xfinity TV customer, you can watch anything your subscription allows. The program you want to access must be on a channel included in your channel lineup. For example, your channel lineup must include HBO for you to view or download HBO programs.
- Non-Xfinity TV customers can watch select unrestricted free content.
- Your device must have an active Internet connection via WiFi or a 3G/4G cellular network. Using a cellular network may incur data charges; check your wireless provider's rate plan for details.
- To stream in-home live TV you must be connected to your in-home Xfinity network.
- Pay per view events are not available in the app.
- Android TV
- Windows tablets and phones
- Nook devices
- Apple TV
- Other devices not specifically mentioned
Xfinity TV programs cannot be streamed outside of the United States. However, programs downloaded to your mobile device can be viewed offline anywhere, even while you're in other countries. Learn more about cloud and Xfinity On Demand content for devices.
Using the Xfinity Stream App for the First Time
- Download the Xfinity Stream app from the Apple App Store, the Google Play Store or the Amazon App Store.
- Open the Xfinity Stream app on your mobile device.
- The first time you open the mobile app on a specific device, you'll need to register the device on your account. Enter your Xfinity username and password, then tap Continue.
- You only need to register this device once. On future visits, the mobile app will recognize this device and you won't need to sign in again.
- Forgot your username or password? Tap the links provided.
- If you are a student with Xfinity On Campus service, tap Sign in as a Student, then select your school from the drop-down list and sign in using your school's login credentials.
- Tap Yes to accept the terms of activation.
- If you're using an Android device, enter a name for this device, then tap Continue. If you're using an Apple device, the Apple device name is used automatically and you won't see this screen.
- Tap Get Started to begin watching or recording your favorite programs, or swipe right to learn more about the Xfinity Stream app.
Navigating the Xfinity Stream AppWhen you open the Xfinity Stream app, the For You screen will appear.
Swipe right to reach the main menu.
- Saved: View the For You screen, Completed Recordings, Scheduled Recordings, Favorites, Purchases or Downloads.
- Live TV: Tap All Channels to see all of your channels with TV listings (see Using the TV Listings). Or, use the other menus to see only your Favorite Channels or the TV Go Channels (those that can be watched when you're not at home).
- Browse: Browse On Demand and Live programs by genre, including TV, Movies, Sports, Networks, Kids, News and Latino.
- Settings (icon at bottom right): Access mobile app settings such as accessibility options (see Using Accessibility Options) and Parental Controls (see Using Parental Controls).
Using the TV Listings
If you're not connected to your in-home WiFi network, you can still do the following:
- Browse TV Listings.
- Watch TV Go content (Live TV and On Demand).
- Watch Xfinity On Demand purchases.
- Watch completed DVR recordings (Cloud DVR service required).
- Download DVR recordings (Cloud DVR service required) as well as select On Demand content and purchases.
In All Channels, you can:
- Tap the date to show listings for a specific day and time that you select.
- Swipe right to left to move the time frame forward. Swipe left to right to move the time frame back.
- Tap a channel on the left to watch that channel live.
- Tap a program to see its description and links to watch the channel or get more information on the program, including upcoming airings.
- Filter by Available Out of Home (TV Go), High Definition (HD), Closed Captioning (CC), Secondary Audio (SAP) and Video Description.
Viewing Program DetailsTap a program in the TV listings, then tap Info. Or, search for the program then tap the program name in the search results.
On the program details screen for a TV series, you can:
- See all the episodes that are available On Demand and select one to watch (the Episodestab).
- The People Also Watched row shows a list of other programs that are similar to the current one.
- Tap Upcoming to see a list of future episodes and select one to record.
- See program details and Watch the program if it's available On Demand.
- Tap Upcoming to see a list of future airings and select one to record.
- See a list of other programs that are similar to the current one in the People Also Watchedrow.
Watching, Managing and Downloading DVR Recordings
You can watch or delete completed DVR recordings anytime, anywhere. You can also download recordings from your DVR to watch them on-the-go.
Did You Know? After you've downloaded a recording to your mobile device, you'll be able to watch it even if you don't have an Internet connection.
- In the main menu, tap Recordings to view a list of your DVR recordings.
- On the Recordings screen, tap the recording you want to watch or download.
- On the recording details screen:
- Tap Watch to play a recording.
- Tap Download to save the recording to your mobile device for offline viewing. Learn more about downloading cloud-based DVR Recordings and Xfinity On Demand content to your device.
- In the list of recordings, you can also tap the i icon at the top of the screen to view more information about saving recordings using your Cloud DVR.
- In the main menu, tap Scheduled to view a list of your scheduled recordings.
- On the Scheduled screen, tap the recording you want to delete.
Want to Know More? See Downloading Cloud-Based DVR Recordings and Xfinity On Demand Content to Your Device.
Watching and Downloading Xfinity On Demand ContentIn addition to watching live TV, you can also can use the Xfinity Stream app to watch On Demand programs when connected to your in-home WiFi network. Select On Demand titles can also be viewed on the go or downloaded so you can watch them offline.
Under Browse in the main menu, tap:
- TV to view a list of available TV shows and series.
- Movies to view a list of available movies.
- Sports to view a list of available sports programs.
- Networks to view a list of programs from a network that you select.
- News to view a list of news-related programs and documentaries.
- Kids to view a list of programs appropriate for children.
- Latino to view a list of available movies, TV shows and series.
In the program list, you can:
- Tap Filters (at the top of the screen) to filter the lists to show:
- Available for Download only
- High Definition programs only (HD)
- Closed Captioning only (CC)
- Secondary Audio only (SAP)
- Available Out of Home (TV Go)
- Any combination of these filters
- Tap an image to see options to watch the program or get more information about it.
Watching and Downloading Xfinity On Demand PurchasesIn addition to watching live TV and Xfinity On Demand programs, you can also watch and download your On Demand Purchases (TV shows and movies that you bought and own).
- Click the Saved tab, and then click Purchases from the drop-down menu.
- Click the program that you would like to watch or download.
Using Accessibility OptionsThe Xfinity Stream app provides the following accessibility options to accommodate a variety of viewers:
- Closed Captioning: See an on-screen text version of the program audio while the program is playing.
- Video Description: Hear program audio that includes descriptions of the key visual elements of the program.
- Secondary Audio Program (SAP): Hear program audio in another language.
Want to Know More? Learn more about accessibility options in the Xfinity Stream app for Android.
Using Parental ControlsParental Controls allow you to limit what your child can see when browsing the Xfinity Stream app, as well as restrict the programs they can view.
- Enable Touch ID: Use your fingerprint to verify your identity when changing Parental Controls.
- Safe Browse Settings: Limit the program titles and descriptions that display when browsing programs.
- Movie Ratings: Block movies based on movie ratings.
- TV Ratings: Block TV shows based on TV ratings.
- Networks & Channels: Block programs shown on a selected network or channel.
- Titles: Manage programs you have individually blocked.
Frequently Asked Questions
Simply download the Xfinity Stream app or visit the Xfinity Stream portal and log in with your Xfinity username and password.
I already have the Xfinity Stream app. Do I need to install the new Xfinity Stream app?
No, if you already have the latest Xfinity Stream app installed, it will automatically transition to the Xfinity Stream app through an app update.
Does live TV streaming with the Xfinity Stream app/Xfinity Stream portal include all channels?
When connected to your in-home Xfinity network, you can watch all the channels on your lineup (i.e., those included with your Xfinity TV subscription) through the Xfinity Stream app and portal, with the exception of pay per view or Adult channels. Outside the home, over 200 channels and over 40,000 TV shows and movies from your lineup will be available for live streaming.
Does Xfinity On Demand streaming with the Xfinity Stream app and/or Xfinity Stream portalinclude all titles?
In the home, you'll have access to the same Xfinity On Demand titles you can get on your TV(s) (i.e., those included with your Xfinity TV subscription). Out of the home, select On Demand titles will be available for streaming.
Will I be able to rent or purchase movies and TV shows via the Xfinity Stream app or Xfinity Stream portal?
Yes, you can rent or purchase movies and TV shows via the Xfinity Stream app for Android devices or the Xfinity Stream portal and watch on any device. Learn more about renting or purchasing . You can also watch any movie or TV show that you have purchased on your Xfinity TV Box through the Xfinity Stream app and portal by selecting Saved > Purchases in the navigation bar.
How do I access the live TV and/or Xfinity On Demand streaming features, and what devices are supported?
You can use the Xfinity Stream app on mobile devices or the Xfinity Stream portal on personal computers to watch your Xfinity TV service. The Xfinity Stream app is currently available for Apple and Android devices (see system requirements for details).
Will live TV and/or Xfinity On Demand streaming on the Xfinity Stream app or Xfinity Stream portal count against my Xfinity Internet data usage plan?
When you are in your home and connected to your in-home Xfinity network, streaming video to the Xfinity Stream app and portal is an in-home cable service delivered over Comcast's managed cable network, not over the Internet, so it will not count towards your Xfinity Internet monthly data usage. If you watch any TV Everywhere programming through the Xfinity Stream app, that programming is delivered over an Internet or mobile connection and will count towards any usage thresholds that may apply.
I can't watch all of my live TV and/or Xfinity On Demand streaming when I'm traveling. Is there a problem?
While in the home, content is delivered as a cable service over Comcast's managed IP network, and includes your full live TV channel lineup and all of your Xfinity On Demand choices. Although more than 200 live TV channels and over 40,000 On Demand movies and shows are available outside of the home over the Internet, certain content is not currently available. Use the Available Out of Home filter in the Xfinity Stream app or portal to easily identify streaming options available when you are not at home. Streaming and downloading of content when outside of the United States is not allowed due to limitations on rights by content providers.
How many devices can stream live TV and/or Xfinity On Demand content simultaneously?
With Xfinity TV service, and the Xfinity Stream app and portal, most of our customers can stream video to up to five devices simultaneously while in the home. Out of the home or over the Internet, you can stream up to three devices simultaneously. Please note that certain Xfinity TV packages limit the number of simultaneous streams to two.
What devices are supported?
The Xfinity Stream portal can be accessed on PCs, Macs, and select Chrome OS devices. To view system requirements for the Xfinity Stream portal , see the Xfinity Stream Portal Requirements . The Xfinity Stream app is available for iOS devices through the Apple App Store, for Android devices through Google Play, and for select Kindle Fire models from Amazon. To view system requirements for the Xfinity Stream app, see Xfinity Stream App System Requirements .
What can I watch on the Xfinity Stream app?
When connected to your in-home Xfinity network, you can watch your full channel lineup and all of the Xfinity On Demand content that is available on your TVs through your mobile device or computer. You can also watch any rentals or purchases you have made, and Xfinity X1 customers can watch in-progress and completed DVR recordings.
When outside the home, you can watch more than 200 live TV channels, 40,000 On Demand choices and your completed X1 DVR recordings over the Internet anywhere in the country. Simply filter for Available out of home to make finding TV Everywhere content easy. And select Available for download from the filter menu to see what shows and movies are available to download to watch when offline.
Can I download movies and shows from the Xfinity On Demand library?
Yes, you can download select Xfinity On Demand TV shows and movies for offline viewing. Select Available for download from the filter menu to see what shows and movies are available to download to watch when offline.
What are the minimum system requirements I need to use the Xfinity Stream app/portal?
To view system requirements for the Xfinity Stream portal , see Xfinity Stream Portal Requirements . For the Xfinity Stream app, see Xfinity Stream App System Requirements .
DisclaimerXfinity On Demand services are not available in all areas. If you reside in an area that does not offer Xfinity On Demand through your TV Box, you will not have access to Xfinity On Demand content online through the Xfinity Stream portal ( xfinity.com/stream ) or Xfinity Stream app.
Join the discussion here: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Xfinity-Stream-TV/td-p/2874439