ANSWERED: How to turn off/on your Xfinity Wifi Networks
Need to turn off the 5gz Wifi network and only run the 2.4gz so I can install my security cameras (Zmodo), how do I do this?
We designed this feature for you and this service is completely separate from your secure, private home WiFi network and allows guests to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Your Home Hotspot is included with your service at no additional charge.
To learn how to enable or disable your Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot, please read the instructions below.
- Xfinity WiFi hotspots are available at no extra charge if you rent an Xfinity Gateway, including the xFi Advanced Gateway (model numbers TG3482G, CGM4140COM), xFi Gateway (model numbers DPC3939, DPC3941T, TG1682G), and Xfinity Gateway 2 (model numbers Arris TG852G and TG862G, Technicolor TC8305C). Find your Gateway make and model by looking at the UPC seal located on the bottom or back of your device.
- We encourage you to keep the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature enabled, as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of Xfinity WiFi.
Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in My Account
- Go to https://customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot.
- Sign in to your account using your Xfinity username and password.
- Click Turn Off or Turn On to disable or enable your public hotspot. (Note: Your default hotspot status is enabled.)
- Confirm your selection.
- A confirmation message will appear.
To learn more about the home hotspot feature, to find a hotspot near you, or to download the Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app, visit xfinity.com/wifi.
Hiding or Disabling Your In-Home WiFi Network in the Local Admin Tool
- Begin by connecting to your WiFi network and accessing 10.0.0.1 from a web browser.
- Navigate to Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi, where you will see your private WiFi network name(s) displayed.
- If you would like to hide your WiFi network from broadcasting (this will prevent your WiFi name from being visible in a list of networks), uncheck the Enabled box in the Broadcast Network Name (SSID) field at the bottom of the page. If you would like to disable the radio that transmits your WiFi network's signal (this will disable your WiFi), select Disable in the Wireless Network field. To complete either change, click Save Settings at the bottom of the page.
- To complete either change, click SAVE SETTINGS at the bottom of the page.
Hiding Your In-Home WiFi Network in Xfinity xFi
- Visit www.xfinity.com/myxFi or open the Xfinity xFi app and sign in with your Xfinity username and password.
- Navigate to the Network section, where you will see your WiFi name(s) displayed at the top of the page.
- If you would like to hide your WiFi network from broadcasting, select Edit next to your WiFi name. A new dialog window will appear. Uncheck Broadcast WiFi Name and select Apply Changes at the bottom of the dialog window.
See Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspots to learn more about the nation's largest and fastest WiFi network.