ANSWERED: How to turn off/on your Xfinity Wifi Networks
If you wish to hide your in-home, private WiFi network from broadcasting or if you wish to turn it off completely, you can do so within the Admin Tool. You can also hide your in-home network from broadcasting with Xfinity xFi.
Hiding or Disabling Your In-Home WiFi Network in the Local Admin Tool
- Begin by connecting to your WiFi network and accessing 10.0.0.1 from a web browser.
- Navigate to Gateway > Connection > Wi-Fi, where you will see your private WiFi network name(s) displayed.
- If you would like to hide your WiFi network from broadcasting (this will prevent your WiFi name from being visible in a list of networks), uncheck the Enabled box in the Broadcast Network Name (SSID) field at the bottom of the page. If you would like to disable the radio that transmits your WiFi network's signal (this will disable your WiFi), select Disable in the Wireless Network field. To complete either change, click Save Settings at the bottom of the page.
- To complete either change, click SAVE SETTINGS at the bottom of the page.
Hiding Your In-Home WiFi Network in Xfinity xFi
Follow these steps to hide your WiFi network from broadcasting in Xfinity xFi:
- Visit www.xfinity.com/myxFi or open the Xfinity app and sign in with your Xfinity ID and password.
- Navigate to Connect.
- Select your network on the Xfinity app or select See Network on the xFi website.
- Select Edit WiFi on the xFi Website or the pencil icon on the Xfinity app.
- A new dialog window will appear. Uncheck Broadcast WiFi Name.
- Select Apply Changes at the bottom of the dialog window.
Note: You cannot disable your WiFi network in Xfinity xFi.
How to Turn Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot On or Off Using Xfinity xFi or My Account
Your Xfinity Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional “xfinitywifi” network signal, creating an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network right in your home.
We designed this feature for you and this service is completely separate from your secure, private home WiFi network and allows guests to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Your Home Hotspot is included with your service at no additional charge.
To learn how to enable or disable your Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot, please read the instructions below.
- Xfinity WiFi hotspots are available at no extra charge if you rent an Xfinity Gateway. Find your Gateway make and model by looking at the UPC seal located on the bottom or back of your device.
- We encourage you to keep the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature enabled, as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of Xfinity WiFi.
Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in Xfinity xFi.
- Go to the Xfinity app (available to download for free from Apple App Store or Google Play) or the xFi site.
- Sign into your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
- Select Connect, then select See Network and then scroll down to select Advanced Settings (under More). From there, select Xfinity WiFi Hotspot.
- Slide the toggle to the right to enable your public hotspot and to the left to disable it.
Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in My Account
- Go to customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot.
- Sign in to your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
- Click Turn Off or Turn On to disable or enable your public hotspot. (Note: This is turned on by default.)
- Confirm your selection.
- A confirmation message will appear.
- If you're presented with information about Xfinity WiFi but don't see the option to Turn On or Turn Off, you have a device that is not eligible for this feature and is not broadcasting a public hotspot signal.
To learn more about the home hotspot feature, to find a hotspot near you, or to download the Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app, visit xfinity.com/wifi.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.