ANSWERED: How To Turn Bridge Mode on and off on Xfinity modem
Typically, two pieces of equipment are required to connect to the internet and the WiFi network in your home:
- A modem connects your home to an Internet Service Provider's (e.g., Comcast's) network.
- A router connects your wired and wireless devices to your modem.
The Xfinity Wireless Gateway puts the technology of a modem and router into one piece of equipment, creating the fastest, most reliable in-home WiFi.
We understand, however, that there may be times when you may want to use your own router.
To do this on our network, you'll have to enable the Bridge Mode feature on your wireless gateway, which turns off its routing capabilities while leaving the modem capabilities on. Then, you may connect and use your own router.
Note: Any ethernet port can be used but only one device can be connected to the gateway while in Bridge Mode.
When Bridge Mode is enabled, you can access the Xfinity app to manage your account, but you won’t be able to use Xfinity xFi and xFi Pods features to manage and personalize your network. Learn the advantages of xFi.
If you're a customer with xFi Advanced Security, you won't be able to access this feature if you choose to enable Bridge Mode on your gateway. Learn more about xFi Advanced Security.
In addition, if you already activated xFi Pods, you won't be able to enable Bridge Mode. Learn more about network settings required with xFi Pods.
Enabling Bridge Mode doesn't disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature (available on some gateways). Learn more about turning your Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot on or off.
Toggle Bridge Mode On/Off
- Using a device connected to your home network, open a web browser and go to the Admin Tool at http://10.0.0.1.
- If you're disabling bridge mode, this device must be connected to your gateway with an Ethernet cable.
- Enter the default username and password:
- Username: admin
- Password: password (case sensitive)
- Note: If you previously changed your Admin Tool password, use the new password to log in.
- From the left-hand column, select Gateway > At a Glance.
- Next to Bridge Mode, click Enable.
- You'll see a message: "WARNING: Enabling Bridge Mode will disable Router functionality of Gateway and turn off the private WiFi network. Are you sure you want to continue?" Click OK to confirm.
Note: Your wireless gateway may restart.
- You can now use your own router in place of the Wireless Gateway's router capabilities.
- Click Logout at the top right.
- Connect your personal router to any of the Ethernet ports on the Xfinity Wireless Gateway.
- If you want to use your gateway's router capabilities in the future:
- Log in to the Admin Tool and navigate to Gateway > At a Glance.
- Set the Bridge Mode field to Disable.
Note: Advanced Security must be activated through the Xfinity app.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.