Xfinity Support's profile

Official Employee

• 

60 Messages

Friday, August 11th, 2017 11:00 AM

Closed

ANSWERED: How to Manage (Enable/Disable) Your Xfinity WiFi Hotspot

​​

Your Xfinity Wireless Gateway broadcasts an additional “xfinitywifi” network signal, creating an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network right in your home.

We designed this feature for you and this service is completely separate from your secure, private home WiFi network and allows guests to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Your Home Hotspot is included with your service at no additional charge.

To learn how to enable or disable your Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot, please read the instructions below.

Notes:

• Xfinity WiFi hotspots are available at no extra charge if you rent an Xfinity Gateway.
  • Find your Gateway make and model by looking at the UPC seal located on the bottom or back of your device.
  • We encourage you to keep the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature enabled, as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of Xfinity WiFi.

Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in the Xfinity App

1. Go to the Xfinity app (available to download for free from Apple App Store or Google Play).
  2. Sign in to your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Tap WiFi.
  4. Tap View WiFi equipment.
  5. Tap Advanced settings.
  6. From there, tap Xfinity WiFi hotspot network.
  7. Slide the toggle to the right to enable your public hotspot and to the left to disable it.

Enable or Disable the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot Feature in Your Account

1. Go to customer.xfinity.com/#/settings/security/hotspot.
  2. Sign in to your account using your Xfinity ID and password.
  3. Click Turn Off or Turn On to disable or enable your public hotspot.
    • Note: This is turned on by default.
  4. Confirm your selection.
  5. You'll see a confirmation message.
    Screenshot of the hotspot confirmation message

• Message: "Your hotspot has been disabled. Please allow 24 hours for this change to take effect in My Account and your Wireless Gateway."

Notes:

• If you're presented with information about Xfinity WiFi but don't see the option to Turn On or Turn Off, you have a device that is not eligible for this feature and is not broadcasting a public hotspot signal.

To learn more about the home hotspot feature, to find a hotspot near you, or to download the Xfinity WiFi Hotspots app, visit xfinity.com/wifi.

​​​Frequently Asked Questions​​​

​​​​​

​​

Note: For information on accessing our public Xfinity WiFi hotspot network that provides millions of Xfinity hotspots, visit Xfinity WiFi hotspot overview.

What is the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature?
Your Xfinity Wireless Gateway broadcasts two additional network signals (“xfinitywifi,” “XFINITY,” or “Xfinity Mobile”), creating an extension of the Xfinity WiFi network right in your home. This service is completely separate from your secure, private home WiFi network and allows guests to sign in and connect without sharing your secure network password. Your home hotspot is included with your service at no additional charge.

Will it cost anything?
Xfinity WiFi is included at no additional charge for all Xfinity Mobile customers, as well as eligible* Xfinity Internet customers. (Find out your level of Xfinity service.)

How can guests connect to Xfinity WiFi in my home?
If your guest is an Xfinity Internet customer and has downloaded the secure profile, they’ll connect to the XFINITY SSID automatically. Otherwise, guests can simply select the xfinitywifi network from their device and open a web browser to get started. If additional help is required, see our connection guides.

Non-Comcast customers can access Xfinity WiFi hotspots by signing up for Xfinity Internet today!

Should I use my private WiFi network or Xfinity WiFi when I am at home?
We recommend using your own private WiFi network when you are at home and using Xfinity WiFi when you are visiting a friend or traveling around town. Learn how to configure your device to connect to your private network at home. Also, installing a secure profile will help your device prioritize private WiFi networks at home. Download the Xfinity app and select WiFi hotspots in the WiFi tab to automatically install the secure profile.

Apple App Store Google Play Store

How does this improve my private WiFi network security?

• The Xfinity WiFi service is designed to work on a separate network so that your home network remains entirely secure.
    • By allowing guests to use the Xfinity WiFi network you won't need to share your private home WiFi network password and bandwidth with guests.
  • For more information, read about the Security Information for the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot.

How do I disable or enable my Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot feature? What happens if I choose to disable it?
We encourage you to keep your home hotspot enabled as it allows more people to enjoy the benefits of Xfinity WiFi, but you can always choose to disable it on your wireless gateway.

Using the Xfinity app (available to download on Apple App Store or Google Play), navigate to WiFi > View WiFi equipment > Advanced Settings > Xfinity WiFi hotspot network and slide the toggle to enable or disable your home hotspot.

Through your account, navigate to Services > Internet to access the Xfinity WiFi hotspot. Read more about turning the home hotspot off or on and for step-by-step instructions.

Will my home be shown on the hotspot location map or Xfinity app?
We do not list residential customers' addresses on the hotspot location map or in the Xfinity app. Small business locations are listed on the map as a feature of the Comcast Business WiFi service. Businesses can learn more about managing their Comcast Business WiFi hotspot directory information.

Does the home hotspot impact my internet speeds or data usage?
The broadband connection to your home will be unaffected by the Xfinity WiFi feature. We have provisioned the Xfinity WiFi feature to support robust usage, and therefore we anticipate minimal to no impact to the in-home WiFi network. WiFi uses shared wireless spectrum, and as with any shared medium, there can be some impact as more devices share the network.

Also, the usage and activities of visiting users are associated with the visitors’ accounts and therefore do not impact the homeowner.

What's good about an expanded Xfinity WiFi network?
With the Xfinity WiFi hotspot feature, you're helping to build a bigger network that can benefit your friends, neighbors and all Xfinity Internet customers. And it's good for you, too, because when you need a hotspot, it'll be there.

Why can't my guests connect to the Xfinity WiFi Home Hotspot?
Using a WiFi-enabled device, verify that the xfinitywifi signal is available and that the device is connected. If your guest is an Xfinity Internet customer, verify the XFINITY or Xfinity Mobile SSID is available and the device is connected. Open a browser and you should be directed to the Xfinity WiFi sign-in page. You can also view additional connection help or contact us.

My WiFi-enabled devices are connecting to the xfinitywifi signal when I'm home. How do I return my default network to my private home network?
Some mobile devices and tablets will automatically connect to your private home network by default, while others will connect to the last successfully connected network. Additionally, some mobile device providers have recently introduced WiFi settings (Randomized MAC or Private Address) that will randomize your device’s MAC address. If this setting is enabled on your device, your device could connect to public Xfinity WiFi hotspots within your home instead of your private home WiFi network.

Check your device's WiFi settings to make sure you are connected to your private home network. To connect to your home's private WiFi network:

1. Go into Settings on your mobile device.
  2. Select WiFi.
  3. Choose your home network.

Also, the secure profile will help your device prioritize your WiFi network at home.

Apple App Store Google Play Store

Will the homeowner be accountable for visitors' activities and data usage on the wireless gateway?
No. The homeowner is not accountable for visitors' activities and data usage. Visitors are accountable for their own usage based on their Xfinity WiFi hotspot eligibility.

Why don't I see Xfinity WiFi in my home?
The hotspot feature is not available on all Xfinity Wireless Gateways or supported with all Xfinity Internet products. Wireless routers purchased at retail outlets do not support the Xfinity WiFi service.

I have heard that secure Xfinity WiFi hotspots are now available. Why am I not seeing it?
Secure Xfinity WiFi hotspots are now available at most outdoor locations, small businesses, and residential wireless gateways, with additional locations always being added to the network. You can use the hotspot map in the Xfinity app to find Xfinity hotspots near you.

I cannot connect to my private home WiFi network. What is wrong?
Check your device's WiFi settings to make sure you are connected to your private home WiFi network. It is possible you may be connected to the Xfinity WiFi network instead.

Will the home hotspot feature work when my wireless gateway is in bridge mode?
Yes. The home hotspot feature will continue to be available even when your device is in bridge mode, conveniently allowing your guests to connect to Xfinity WiFi when visiting. If you wish to disable or enable the home hotspot feature, you can do so through your account.

*Restrictions apply. Not available in all areas. Access to Xfinity WiFi Hotspots included with Xfinity post-pay Internet. Not available to Xfinity Prepaid customers.

​​​ ​ ​ ​
​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​

​​​Additional Resources​​​

​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
​​​https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/disable-xfinity-wifi-home-hotspot​​​
​ ​ ​ ​ ​ ​
​​​https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-wifi-hotspots​​​
​ ​ ​ ​​​
I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
No Responses!
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here