ANSWERED: How to change your Xfinity Wifi password
Sometimes it can be hard to remember your WiFi network name (aka SSID) and password, so we made it easy to see and change them from a few places. Here’s how.
Before you begin, remember that:
- These instructions are for leased Xfinity Gateways only. If you’re using an approved, non-Xfinity Internet device, visit xfinity.com/support/devices and select your modem or router to find out more information.
- Xfinity xFi Gateways broadcast two or three wireless signals/bands (2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6GHz) depending on model. For the strongest and fastest connection available, we highly recommend using the same network name and password for all bands.
- After changing your network name or password, you’ll need to reconnect all your WiFi devices. Read more about connecting to a WiFi network.
X1 TV Box (View Only - No Login Required)
FOR XFINITY INTERNET CUSTOMERS WITH AN XFI GATEWAY:
If you have an xFi Gateway, the X1 TV Box is the fastest and easiest way to see your WiFi network name and password because no login is required. This is especially helpful when you or a visitor are connecting a new device.
- On your Xfinity Voice Remote, hold down the Microphone button and ask, “What's my WiFi password?” or “What’s my WiFi information?”
- The password(s) and network name(s) will show up on the screen.
Note: You'll see the WiFi help tile, but you might not see the Simplify WiFi, Improve WiFi coverage and PIN protect WiFi info tiles as shown above.
FOR XFINITY INTERNET CUSTOMERS WITHOUT AN XFI GATEWAY:
- Press the xfinity button on your remote.
- Press the right arrow to get to the gear icon.
- Press the down arrow and choose Help.
- Press the right arrow, choosing the WiFi tile under the Troubleshooting section.
- The WiFi password(s) and network name(s) will show up on the screen.
Xfinity xFi puts you in the driver’s seat, letting you personalize and control your WiFi experience. If you have an xFi Gateway, the Xfinity Status Center, My Account online and the My Account mobile app will redirect you to xFi to view and change WiFi information. To manage it in xFi:
- Log in at xfinity.com/myxfi or on the Xfinity app (download on the App Store or Google Play). If you already have the Xfinity app, make sure you have updated to the latest version.
- Select Connect.
- Select your network on the Xfinity app or select See Network on the xFi website.
- To see your password, select Show Password.
- Select Edit WiFi on the xFi website or select the pencil icon on the Xfinity app to make changes.
- Select Apply Changes after making any updates.
Xfinity Status Center
To get your WiFi information on xfinity.com using your computer, tablet or phone:
- Log in at xfinity.com/support/status.
Note: If you don’t remember your username and password, we can help find your username and reset your password.
- Depending on the service you subscribe to and type of Xfinity Gateway, you’ll either see an Edit with xFi or a Manage WiFi Settings link. Click to change your WiFi network’s name and password.
Xfinity My Account Online
To get your WiFi information on My Account using your computer, tablet or phone:
- Log in to My Account.
- Select Settings on the top of the page. (You can also select Manage Settings on the right-hand side or scroll down and choose the Manage Internet tile.)
- Select WiFi Network & Password under Xfinity ID, Passwords & PINs.
- Depending on the type of Xfinity Gateway on your account, select Edit with xFi or Edit.
- From here, you can change your WiFi network's name and password.
Xfinity My Account App for Mobile Devices
The Xfinity My Account app lets you manage your Xfinity services and account settings on the go.
- Download the app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Sign into the Xfinity My Account app.
- Select Internet on the bottom menu.
- Select the picture of the Gateway you want to change.
- Select Show WiFi settings to see your WiFi information.
- Select Change WiFi Settings to customize your settings. If you lease an xFi Gateway, you'll see an option to Change Settings in xFi and will be taken to the xFi portal.
Xfinity Wireless Gateway Admin Tool
A lot of people like using My Account, xFi, and X1. But if you’re more advanced, you might also want to try the Xfinity Admin Tool.
- Connect a computer, tablet or phone to your network. You can either use WiFi or hook up an Ethernet cable to your Gateway.
- Open a web browser and go to the Admin Tool (http://10.0.0.1). This is the Wireless Gateway's administration site. The default settings to open the Admin Tool are:
- Username: admin
- Password: password (case sensitive)
- Select Login.
Note: If you changed your Admin Tool password before, use your new login info. If you don't remember your Admin Tool password, you’ll have to factory reset your Wireless Gateway.
- On the left navigation menu, choose Gateway, then Connection and then WiFi.
- Under Private WiFi Network, you'll see the name (SSID) of your WiFi network.
- Select Edit. If you see two network names, select Edit for both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands to view each band's settings.
- Check the box next to Show Network Password and you’ll see your password.
- After making changes, select Save Settings.
Note: If you have xFi Pods or if WiFi Intelligence is enabled on your account, the ability to edit your WiFi name/password through the Gateway Admin/MSO tool (10.0.0.1) is disabled and you will need to use the Xfinity app or xFi website. If you are unsure if WiFi Intelligence in enabled, you can check in the Xfinity app by going to Connect > See Network > Advanced Settings and look for the option “2.4 & 5 GHz”. If the option is not there, then WiFi Intelligence has been enabled. WiFi Intelligence is automatically enabled for the xFi Advanced Gateway (XB8).
Default WiFi Information (View Only)
Your Xfinity Wireless Gateway comes with a default WiFi network name and password. Most Xfinity Gateways require that the default WiFi name and password are changed during installation. If your default WiFi name and password were not changed during your install or if you have restored factory settings on your Gateway, you can find the default WiFi information on the side or bottom of your Gateway:
If you’ve never changed your WiFi network name and password, we strongly recommend that you change them to improve the security of your home network.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.