ANSWERED: Activating your Xfinity xFi Gateway with the Xfinity xFi App
This article outlines how to activate your Xfinity Internet/Xfinity Voice service if you rent an Xfinity xFi Gateway (Arris 1682G, Cisco 3941T, Arris 3482G, Technicolor CGM4140COM or Cisco DPC3939). To determine the type of Gateway you have, check the make and model information located on the bottom of your device. You can also log in to My Account and select Devices to view the make and model of your Gateway.
Activation InstructionsBefore you start: Download the Xfinity xFi app for free from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
- Launch the Xfinity xFi app and sign in using your Xfinity username and password. (You must be the primary or an unrestricted secondary user to access.)
- Select I'm setting up my Wireless Gateway. After activation you can continue to use the Xfinity xFi app to manage your home network.
- Select Get Started to begin the process of setting up your Gateway. The entire process should not take longer than 20 minutes.
- Select Use Camera to scan the QR code on the side or back of the device. The QR code should contain all of the information needed to begin activation. You may also be prompted to grant the Xfinity xFi app permission to access your smartphone's camera.
- Note: If your device does not have a QR code to scan, you will need to enter the 12-digit CM MAC number found on the side or back of the Gateway. Select Enter Code Manually and follow the on-screen prompts. You may also be prompted to enter the CM MAC number even if your device has a QR code if we need additional information.
- Your smartphone's camera will open within the Xfinity xFi app. Find the QR code and focus the camera on it. Once the QR code has been successfully scanned, you will see a green check mark.
- Note: Keep your smartphone as steady as possible. If the camera has trouble focusing on the QR code, try slowly moving your smartphone away from and towards the QR code.
The app will then take you through the necessary steps to set up your Gateway (modem/router) and activate your Xfinity Internet/Xfinity Voice service. For the best WiFi coverage, set up the device in the most centrally located place in your home where there is also a cable outlet.
Also, avoid placing the device in your basement or attic as this can interfere with your WiFi signal. Keep it out of cabinets or closets, and make sure it is off of the floor. Select Next to proceed through these tips.
- Once you've found the best spot for your Gateway, follow the instructions to connect the coaxial cable and power cord.
The lights on the front of your Gateway will flash and blink as the device prepares for activation. Select Ready to Go! to continue.
- Now that your Gateway is connected, it's time to personalize your home WiFi network name and password. Enter a WiFi name and password that is easy to remember and secure. Select Next.
- Confirm the WiFi name and password you entered are correct. If you need to make changes, simply select the back arrow in the top left-hand corner of the screen. If you are also activating Xfinity Voice, you will see your phone number on this screen. Select Confirm and Finish Up.
Note: For customers swapping an existing xFi Gateway with a new one, you may be presented with the WiFi name and password associated with your previous device. You can choose to keep them the same, or create a new WiFi name and password. If you change the name/password, you'll need to reconnect all your devices using the new information.
Your home network setup will now begin. This can take up to 10 minutes to complete. You will also be prompted to enable push notifications to be alerted when activation is complete.
Once your Gateway is activated and your WiFi is ready to go, you'll be presented with instructions on how to connect to your new WiFi network. Two shortcuts are provided to make this process even easier. Simply copy your WiFi password to your clipboard by selecting Copy and then Go to Settings. From there, go to the WiFi settings on your device, wait for your new WiFi name to show in the list of available networks, join the network and then paste your password to connect.
Remember, you'll need to connect all of your WiFi-enabled devices using the WiFi name and password you created.
Select Continue to XFINITY xFi to access home network personalization and control features, for example the ability to see who's most active on your network, troubleshoot any connection issues, and block inappropriate content and network threats. To learn more about xFi features, see the overview for Xfinity xFi Web Portal and Mobile App.