southerndoc's profile

New Poster

• 

17 Messages

Thursday, October 13th, 2022 1:53 AM

Closed

Xfinity Voice with Fiber Optic Service

Does Xfinity Voice require a cable modem, or is an adapter available to just grab a network connection if someone has fiber optic internet.

Official Employee

• 

744 Messages

2 years ago

You are asking a great question! To use our Xfinity Home Phone services, you would need to have a compatible eMTA modem. You have the option to rent a modem through us, or you can utilize your own modem as long as it is compatible with our network and provides eMTA technology. If you were interested in using your own modem, you can easily visit https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/#unauth to check which devices work on our network, and even filter to only see modems that have Voice/Telephone enabled. Please let us know if this helps and if you have any more questions!

New Poster

• 

17 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks.  So I would need coax service in addition to my fiber service.

Official Employee

• 

903 Messages

Sure thing! To be clear, with Gigabit Pro, it is an HFC network. HFC meaning Hybrid Fiber-Coax. This combines fiber optics and coaxial-based transmissions into a single path. Essentially, it is fiber to the home then coax inside the home. So yes, a coax connection is still present and in use.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

@XfinityFrank wrote: "... with Gigabit Pro, it is an HFC network. HFC meaning Hybrid Fiber-Coax ..."

This is not correct. "Gigabit Pro" service is only provided over a fiber-to-the-premises connection using the xFi Fiber Gateway described on https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/broadband-gateways-userguides. No retail versions of this device are available for purchase, they're only available for rental.

Regular Gigabit (NOT "Pro") service is delivered over a coax connection from the fiber distribution lines and retail modems and gateways are available for that purpose.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here