U

Tuesday, May 28th, 2024 2:57 PM

Xfinity Voice handset equip

I purhased two handsets for Xfinity Voice. (1) Poly VVX 250 voip and (2) Yealink W76P IP Dect.

I connected each directly into the comcast Gateway modum/router i.e newest model  without a dial tone. I used one of the four network outlets). Any suggestions? I even connected to the Gateway phone jack without success.

Is this the correct equipment? Any suggestions as to a specific model that works?

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 months ago

Their home phone service is VOIP between the Voice modem or gateway device in your home and Comcast, but the phone jacks on that device provide a POTS (analog "Plain Old Telephone Service") interface to standard touch-tone telephones. They don't allow customer VOIP phones to access their home phone system directly. A VOIP handset would only work with their Voice home phone service if that handset also had a POTS interface and was connected to one of the RJ-11 jacks, or to a base unit connected to one of them.

The phones you asked about appear to be pure VoIP phones. To use a Wifi or Ethernet connected VOIP handset you'd need to subscribe to a service that provides access for such devices. Comcast residential home phone service does not.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

3 Messages

Bruce,

OK I see. Comcast is mimicking a traditional land line service by linking its Gateway to the home's traditional landline infrastructure (including landline handset).

Thus, what appears to be a landline service is in fact internet phone service.

Correct?

And any attempt beyond this approach is futile including my goal to hardwire my desk phone to the gateway.

Correct?

Its a newly purchased house , and I believe the landline outlets have new compromised.

Look like I  will have to go with the business class Comcast phone service which I believe is 100% voip

Thank you.

3 Messages

It looks like I can hardwire it to the Gateway using a traditional handset. Thanks for your input

Official Employee

• 

1.8K Messages

user_ovpma5, Hi there! Thank you for taking the time out of your day to visit our forums page for help with those two purchased handsets at your new home. Congrats on the new home by the way. Shout out to BruceW for being able to provide helpful input. 🙌 How is everything working for your today? Here is a great link to more details on the minimum equipment requirements and how to verify that your modem works with your service

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here