U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, May 11th, 2023 4:49 PM

Closed

Xfinity Home Phone Service ... How would I connect an old fashioned corded phones, one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen?

Xfinity Home Phone Service ... How would I connect old-fashioned corded phones, they are not wireless phones. One is in the bedroom and one in the kitchen. I have an Xfinity modem in my bedroom next to a computer desk. I know I can plug my old-fashioned corded phone into the Xfinity modem by my computer desk that is in the bedroom, but how would I connect a similar old-fashioned corded phone in the kitchen which is nowhere near the modem that is in the bedroom? I do not have any active phone jacks in the house. One phone jack was installed in the kitchen when my place was built but then I found out that due to my area being rural, the local phone company does not provide landline service. So the jack in the kitchen was never active. Since I can't get landline service from a local phone company, I decided I want to get Xfinity Home Phone Service. But I am not technical and have no idea how I would connect the second phone in the kitchen.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

1 year ago

... How would I connect old-fashioned corded phones, they are not wireless phones. ...

You should be able to run a standard modular base cord from the jack on the gateway device to the nearest telephone jack to energize your home's phone outlets. That should allow any phone plugged in to any jack in the home to work. If you have a phone in the room where the gateway is located and only 1 phone jack there, you'll also need a phone wiring "Y" connector in order to have both hooked up, something like https://www.amazon.com/Duplex-Telephone-Adapter-Splitter-Single/dp/B088Z2DFZS.

You'll also need to make sure that no other providers have a connection to those lines.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

@BruceW​ I don't have any working phone jacks in the house. There is only one phone jack and it is dead and doesn't work (it never did), besides it is too far away from the gateway device and there is no way possible to run any sort of cord or cable or wire that great a distance from the gateway device in the bedroom all the way to the kitchen and I can't move the gateway device as the connection coming from the outside of the house to connect the gateway device is in the bedroom wall. I also don't have an old landline junction box outside as most homes have. The builders put a phone jack in the kitchen wall, but then when I moved in, I found out because I live in a rural area that no company in my area provides landline service. So the phone jack in the kitchen was never active. It doesn't work and as I said, there is no telephone landline junction box outside the house either. So how would I connect two corded (not wireless) phones, one to have in the bedroom where the gateway device is and the other way far away in the kitchen? One is a replica of an antique phone and on the bottom of the phone is a switch to turn it from pulse to tone dialing. The other phone is a slim-line princess-style phone that also has a switch for changing it from pulse to tone dialing. As I stated, neither are wireless phones. Both are traditional, old-fashioned corded phones made to use with traditional landline jacks (see pictures). So knowing all this...how would I connect these two phones to a gateway device if these two phones are in different rooms that are too far away from the gateway device?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

1 year ago

... There is only one phone jack ... in the kitchen wall ...

If you want to use a corded phone in the kitchen you need to have it connected to your gateway. If running a telephone cable is out of the question, I don't see how you can use a corded phone in your kitchen. Without a connection to the gateway a corded phone can't be used. I can think of no solution other that replacing the corded phone with a cordless one with the base unit connected to the gateway, perhaps with a "phone line splitter" like the one I linked earlier to allow one of the other corded phones to be connected.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

@BruceW​ OK, thanks for your advice. I appreciate your time.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here