U

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, December 29th, 2022 6:42 PM

Closed

Phone options for Xfinity voice

I am currently using a cable modem (Arris S33) with a separate router and I want to add a phone to use my xfinity voice capability.  Can I add an ATA device to my router and set up an analog phone to use?    Or is there a way to use the wireless capability with the router?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

2 years ago

... Can I add an ATA device to my router and set up an analog phone to use? ...

Their home phone service uses a Voice modem or gateway device to provide a POTS (analog "Plain Old Telephone Service") interface to touch-tone wireline telephones. They don't allow customer VOIP phones to access their home phone system directly, so adding an ATA device to a conventional telephone would be going in the wrong direction.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Okay - what can add to the existing cable modem and separate /router set up to allow the use of an analog or wireless phone in the house to use xfinity voice?  

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

2 years ago

... what can add to the existing cable modem and separate /router set up to allow the use of an analog or wireless phone in the house to use xfinity voice?

If the home is wired for conventional telephone service you should be able to run a standard modular base cord from the jack on the gateway device to the nearest telephone jack to energize your home's phone outlets. That should allow any phone plugged in to any jack in the house to work. If you have a phone in the room where the gateway is located and only 1 phone jack there, you'll need a phone wiring "Y" connector if you want to plug a phone in that room.

If you just switched your phone service to Comcast, you'll also need to make sure that the previous providers line has been disconnected from the home's wiring.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

12 Messages

@BruceW​ you  mention "If you just switched your phone service to Comcast, you'll also need to make sure that the previous providers line has been disconnected from the home's wiring."  So let me ask.  I now have AT&T landline(POTS).  If I switch to xfinity voice and have my current number ported to xfinity isn't that enough?  I mean AT&T should cut the connection right?  Or do I have to physically go outside to the AT&T interface box on the outside of my house and disconnect the drop line wire from the terminals inside the interface?

Visitor

• 

3 Messages

2 years ago

Okay - let me rephrase.   My cable modem does not have a RJ11 connection only an RJ45 line currently connected to the wireless router.   I want to connect something to the router, use an empty RJ45 connection (or wireless), to use xfinity voice.  What can I use to convert this RJ45 (either middle ware with a Rj11) or a phone with rj45 connection to allow me to use xfinity voice. I think i need something more than an RJ11 to RJ45 adaptor.  That is why I asked about the ATA device.... Thank you!

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.8K Messages

2 years ago

... My cable modem does not have a RJ11 connection ...

Comcast only allows devices they approve to provide their Voice service. You'd have to replace your data-only modem with an Voice-approved one, or (maybe) add a Voice modem from https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices. Select your speed tier (or two or three notches higher to allow for future speed upgrades) and be sure to check the "Voice/Telephone enabled" box.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here