U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, November 20th, 2022 9:01 PM

Closed

Land lines do not work after installing new Xfinity modem

Why did the landlines stop working after installing the new white Xfinity modem?  We have no working phones in the house, except for one phone plugged into the back of the Xfinity modem.   Multiple calls for support and service technician visits have not fixed this problem. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

... We have no working phones in the house, except for one phone plugged into the back of the Xfinity modem. ...

If you just replaced your Xfinity gateway you should be able to run a standard modular base cord from the jack on the gateway device to the nearest telephone jack to energize your home's phone outlets. That should allow any phone plugged in to any jack in the house to work. If you have a phone in the room where the gateway is located and only 1 phone jack there, you'll also need a phone wiring "Y" connector.

If you just switched your phone service to Comcast, you'll also need to make sure that the previous providers line has been disconnected.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@BruceW​ 

appreciate your suggestion, but we already did that and had Xfinity service technicians here as well…they can’t get the kandlines to work.    All landlines worked until we installed the newest Xfinity modem.

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hi @user_ba455d, Thanks for reaching out to our community for help with your phone services. I am happy to review your account and confirm the details of your upcoming service appointment.

Please send our team a direct message with your full name and full address so that we can assist you further. 

To send a "Peer to peer" ("Private") message:
Click "Sign In" if necessary
• Click the "Peer to peer chat" icon
• Click the "New message" (pencil and paper) icon
• Type "Xfinity Support" in the "To:" line and select "Xfinity Support" from the drop-down list which appears. The "Xfinity Support" graphic replaces the "To:" line
• Type your message in the text area near the bottom of the window
• Press Enter to send it

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

2 years ago

... we already did that and had Xfinity service technicians here as well ...

If a phone plugged directly into the gateway works ("... except for one phone plugged into the back of the Xfinity modem ..."), then there is a problem with the telephone wiring in your home. Comcast's premise techs are not always knowledgeable about telephone wiring, so you might need to call on someone who is.

Please be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...", I am notified of your response. But if you select Reply, I am NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

I just fixed a similar situation. Without realizing, I was using a 2 wire tel cable from the modem to the wall jack. I replaced it with a 4 wire tel cable and the whole house works now.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here