Outsiders's profile

Visitor

• 

15 Messages

Friday, June 7th, 2024 12:56 AM

Few Questions About Changing To Xfinity Voice

I am interested in transitioning my landline to Xfinity Voice and have a few inquiries before making a decision.

I have four cordless phones and three corded phones in my house. If I switch to Xfinity Voice, will all of these phones remain connected or only the cordless phones, considering that the cordless main base will be plugged into the modem/router?

The four cordless phones I own are from AT&T and are connected to a phone jack. Is there a specific requirement for phones when using Xfinity Voice, or can I use any phone?

What is the process for canceling my AT&T account while ensuring my telephone number remains connected once I switch to Xfinity Voice?  I don't want AT&T to cancel the phone number.

Official Employee

• 

881 Messages

4 months ago

Outsiders Those are great questions, and we are glad to hear that you're interested in Xfinity Voice service. You mentioned you have seven phones all together. Do you have separate numbers for those phones or do they all share the same number currently with AT&T? You should be able to use any phone with our service, so that should be fine. If you decided to go with Xfinity Voice, we would start the port process to see if that is able to be done. That way you can still keep your current phone number. 

Visitor

• 

15 Messages

@XfinityShawn​ All seven phones share the same phone number and I checked on the Xfinity site and was told that the phone number can be ported over.

Official Employee

• 

1.6K Messages

That's good to hear, @Outsiders. The best course of action when porting over a landline number from a different provider (AT&T) is to keep the previous service open and active until after the porting process has been completed and the line is fully functional through your modem. If the line is disconnected before being ported, it will no longer show up as available to port. Even if the previous service is only scheduled to be disconnected, it can cause problems with porting. After the port has fully completed, you can reach out to AT&T and make arrangements to disconnect the service on their end.

The phone jacks in your house can be reconfigured to carry the phone signal from your modem. Our technicians used to be able to set this up during installation, but they stopped doing it a few years ago. A licensed electrician or handyman may be able to help, if that was something you wanted to pursue.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here