U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, February 8th, 2022 4:37 PM

Closed

Converting VoIP to Analog

I have an Xfininty X1 router and Xfinity voice service. I need to convert the VoIP to an analog signal for a home elevator. Can I get an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) and just plug it into one of the data ports on the router and then plug my phone line into the ATA and then the elevator? Just wondering if any ATA will work or if it has to be a specific make model. Or if it will even work at all.

Thanks!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

... I need to convert the VoIP to an analog signal ...

Voice-enabled gateways and eMTAs provide a POTS analog signal to their telephone ports. Any touch-tone phone that works with a POTS line should work with one of these devices, no adapter needed.

Note: Be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...") the author of the post you are Commenting on is notified of your response. But if you click Reply, the author of the post you are Replying to is NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks. So the phone line is connected to one of the 2 phone ports on the router, but the receiver (handset) in the elevator is not getting a dial tone. I suppose the phone cable could be wired incorrectly. It's a Cat5 cable that the electrician installed and put the connector on. 

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

... It's a Cat5 cable that the electrician installed and put the connector on.

The two center pins of the 6-position 4-pin (or 6-position 2-pin) plug at the gateway end should be the ones that connect to your telephone equipment. Cat5 cable should work fine, but finding the 2 wires you need out of the 8 in the cable could be tricky. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modular_connector#6P6C may help you, but there are many wire-color-to-pin-number "standards".

Note: Be aware that there are 2 kinds of responses in this Forum: Replies and Comments. When you Comment on a post (by scrolling down to "Comment on this post here...") the author of the post you are Commenting on is notified of your response. But if you click Reply, the author of the post you are Replying to is NOT notified and may not be aware of your response.

(edited)

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here