Bulldog99's profile

Contributor

• 

229 Messages

Tuesday, January 21st, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Comcast Phone Service vs. My Own VOIP Phone

If I've got my technologies all messed up, I will appreciate correction:

I am a prospective cord-cutter. Ideally, I would like to get only internet service from Comcast, not phone, not TV.

I might be interested in maintaining a landline phone, i.e., in addition to my mobile phone. It seems that I can get landline service in one of two ways:

1. Through Comcast, obviously; and
  2. With my own VOIP phone (and router) and Comcast's modem.

What would be the pros and cons of these two alternatives?

Thanks for your help.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Since both services would be dependent on the internet connection to the modem, the “up time” should be pretty equal. Types of phone and types of VoIP service all play a part. In the end, you’re the best judge of call quality so it’s your choice, pick one and if it’s not for you try a different provider.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The biggest pro for your own VoIP would be the ability to use your own equipment thus making it cheaper, without being tied to rental equipment.

Contributor

• 

229 Messages

4 years ago

I should add that the biggest reason why I would choose my own VOIP phone and VOIP service over Comcast's voice service is that with Comcast's voice service I have to lease an eMTA from Comcast, whereas with my own VOIP phone and VOIP service  I can buy my own modem.

It's primarily that eMTA rental charge that I'm trying to avoid. Also, should I ever decide to try Verizon's FIOS, it would be easy to switch my voice service to FIOS because it's all my equipment.

But is it still the case that to use Comcast's voice service, I must lease their eMTA?

Contributor

• 

229 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for replying.

Clearly, it would be cheaper. What I had more in mind, and should have specified, is if there is an inherent technical advantage to using Comcast's own phone service in terms of voice quality and up time vs. my own phone and VOIP service.

A lot depends on the quality of my phone and of the VOIP service I choose, I know. Aside from that, does Comcast's own phone service have a built-in  voice quality and service up time advantage just by being Comcast's own service?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Bulldog99 wrote: ... It's primarily that eMTA rental charge that I'm trying to avoid. ...

Equipment that works with their Voice service is available for purchase as well as rental, see https://www.xfinity.com/support/devices/. Be sure to check the "Voice/Telephone enabled" box. Also see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem....

Contributor

• 

229 Messages

4 years ago

Can you show me on either of those links where I can purchase a new (i.e., unused) eMTA?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Bulldog99 wrote: Can you show me on either of those links where I can purchase a new (i.e., unused) eMTA?

The site doesn't indicate whether devices are still in production or not, but I believe that the CM1150V and the CM500V are fairly new. Perhaps others as well.

Contributor

• 

229 Messages

4 years ago

The fact is, these eMTAs are not offered for sale to consumers. That's why available units are used, and there is no guarantee that Comcast will permit them on their network.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Bulldog99 wrote: The fact is, these eMTAs are not offered for sale to consumers. ...

Both of the models mentioned are available as new equipment from multiple sources, and both are listed on Comcast's "approved retail" site. Why would you say they are "not offered for sale to consumers"?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here