pinballplayer's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, January 18th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

Comcast changed my phone number without permission

I recently changed/upgraded my existing triple play package. Updated the Internet speed and cable channels, but NOT my phone service. There is something in their system that changes phone numbers without authorization (I did a forum search and see evidence of this being a problem). I didn't even know it was changed until friends said caller ID wasn't showing my number.

I've chatted twice with comcast service and they haven't fixed it yet, now it's "elevated" but they don't seem very confident. They keep saying it was "because I changed my service" in reality, it's because there is a bug in there system. I can't even get them to send an email or text the ticket number - evidently nothing can be sent in writing.

I've had my home number for 15 years and now I've got Dr office saying they couldn't get a ahold of me. I've got resumes out with my number on them, all my relatives (out of state) have my number.

This wasn't an "accident" this is a failure on the part of Comcast to properly manage their systems and be responsible to their customers.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

The same this just happened to us - we changed Triple Play packages, and a few days later accidentally discovered that they had given us a new landline number. There was no reason to change our number, nor did they tell us that they did so. Now they're saying that our original number no longer exists. It was also a business number and there's no way we can notify the hundreds of people who have it in their records. If the old number is not restored in a matter of hours, we'll be filing a complaint with the FCC.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

after installing new gateway modem i no longer have phone service. have been trying to contacy a human being from xfinity for three days with no luck. their new automated service is the worst i have ever experienved. their techs are usually very good, but it is almost impossible to talk to one. i have no idea how to get around this.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Hang in there pinballplayer. It took me over a week, but I finally got my old number back. They claimed it was "gone forever" which it legally shouldn't be, since deleted numbers are supposed to go into "quarantine" for six months before being reassigned to someone else. They even claimed at one point that they had assigned my old number to another customer. So what? That's their problem not mine. Finally I threatened to turn them into the FCC for multiple violations, in particular changing my number without my permission, doing it without telling me, then lying about not being able to restore it. Just keep nagging them - I called them every day or two until they got my old number back and reassigned it to me. Good luck!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same issue here.I upgraded my triple play package and they send me a new modem, after installing my new modem my phone number for 25 years was changed without my authorization... called them and they told me that they will put it back in 2 days but up to now 4 days no action taken....I want my phone number back... I want to go to the next step escalate this issue with upper management... pls help want to do next

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I also changed my triple play package and they changed my phone number without permission or without even telling me. NOWHERE on the agreement did I agree to a new phone number.   I only found out because I can make calls but people can't call me.  Says my phone is not in service.  I spent hours getting the internet to work yesterday only to discover this problem this morning.  They truly do punish you if you make any changes and I believe it is part of their business practice to make it so you will never change anything.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

This also happened to me. I’ve had several hours of chat sessions with agents and supervisors, and the conclusion is that it was my fault for upgrading to triple play. Now, they are powerless to restore my original phone number. They are “sorry”, but not really, because they refuse to restore my original phone number.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

As I said in my post, they're lying. It was their fault that they changed your number, and it's illegal for them to do that without notifying you in advance. (There is an FCC Web site where you can file a complaint.) And your old phone number isn't "gone" - they're placed "in holding" for six months before they're available to be re-assigned. And if they tell you that it's been assigned to another customer, that's their problem, not yours. Try calling your old number - I'll bet it says that it's no longer in service, so it's still out there This is all due to a bug in their system. They can restore your old number - it just takes work on their end. Don't give up! Threaten to call the FCC, and if necessary, do it! This is similar to "slamming" and it's against the law. Good luck!

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you erveryone for bringing this up.  It took me 30 days to port a number and when I upgraded to get a couple of more channels, I lost voice mail.  What I have learned - NEVER UPGRADE.  Live with what you have.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

After taking this to the internet and searching with Google, it appears that MANY comcast customers have found that "upgrading" to Triple Play implicitly triggers a phone number (land line) replacement.  The support staff "tries" to restore the old number, but since the old number is "No Longer In Inventory" they cannot.  They are SO Sorry.

In fact, so many people have written about this problem, it is clearly a bug in their system that they do not want to fix.   Well, I have 15 years invested in my phone number:  Countless address books, countless store membership numbers and countless forms that I could not locate if my life depended on it.   I did NOT volunteer to have my number changed.

I suggest that we start a class action lawsuit -- I think there are probably a million of us that can claim $1k in pain and suffering for this horrible treatment.   Maybe if they have to pay ONE BILLION DOLLARS -- not to mention the publicity that we will create in all the papers and news channels -- Comcast will do us the "favor" of restoring our original phone numbers.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I have a more serious matter. XFinity made a mistake and mixed my account number with someone who was removing their phone number in an attempt to reduce their monthly payments. Well, before I knew what was happening my phone was disconnected and the phone number was returned to the telephone company pool. Now the phone number I had for 33 years now belongs to someone else and XFinity's only way of fixing it is to give me another number. They did try to patch things up by offering a better package to me. My only take away from this is to jump on any unauthorized changes the minute it appears in your email. Not very happy.

Official Employee

• 

1.3K Messages

Hello,@user_df3892, I'm sorry to hear about this phone number issue. I know it's a big deal to lose the number you have had for decades. Send a private message with your name and service address so we can take all possible avenues to get the number back. Click on the little chat message bubble icon in the upper right and send a private chat to "Xfinity Support" and our dedicated team will do all we can to assist.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I havre the same problem with Comcast.  I helped my 82 and 87 year old parents move and transferred their account to a new address.  They assigned a new phone number without our permission and in the space of hours lost the ability to assign the original number to the new address.  This is a structural issue that Comcast needs to address.  It is not our fault.  My parents depend on that number to connect with the outside world.  If this company wants to be trusted as a utility, they need to protect their clients.  They do not.

Official Employee

• 

4K Messages

Greetings, @user_da2af8! Thanks for reaching out to us on the Forums! I hope you are having an amazing day! I apologize to hear of the issues you had run into when trying to keep your parent's number when transferring their service. There could have been a number of factors that may have prevented it from being transferred. If this was just done within the last 30 days, we may be able to get this back for them. Since this is an older thread I will be closing it. However, if you still need assistance can you please click the Peer to Peer chat icon at the top right of the page, click on the pen and pad icon and enter Xfinity Support in the "To" section of the chat and provide us with your first and last name so we may further assist you?

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here