U

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, March 10th, 2023 5:52 AM

Closed

Can only get dial tone on 2 phones using Xfinity Voice through home phone wiring

I have checked the many posts on this subject and many answers indicate a short in the wiring, but I am not convinced that that is the problem.  I found that there was a loud buzz on the line until I disconnected the incoming land line cable from the old provider.  Using the voice port on the modem I can get up to 2 phones to have a dial tone.  If I connect more than that, none of the phones have a dial tone.  From things that I have read, it seems that the modem does not provide sufficient voltage to power more phones.  Has anyone used a Talk Battery Booster (such as Viking TBB-1B) to boost the signal through the home phone wiring to multiple wired phones?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

1 year ago

Was your prior phone service via FiOS? That was my problem. I got mine working by not only unplugging the FiOS power supply (120V plug in our garage), but also disconnecting the red and green phone wire connections just inside the cover of the outside ONT box. Now all the phone jacks in my house work fine.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

1 year ago

Hello @user_956ad5 
Thanks for bringing this issue you are having with your home phone to our attention here on the Xfinity Forums. 
I see you created this post a few days ago and I wanted to check in quickly to see if you were able to find a solution or if you are still in need of some support, we would love to help! :) 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

1 year ago

My prior phone service was not FiOS, mine was CenturyLink.  Are you able to use multiple phones on you inside phone jacks at the same time?  

Problem Solver

• 

954 Messages

Hello @user_956ad5. We provide phone through the modem. If you are using the phone jacks in your home, and want to keep using them, I would recommend talking to an election. They would be able to figure out what is happening from the modem to the phone jacks in your home. Does your home phone work when it is just connected to the modem versus a phone jack? 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Visitor

• 

4 Messages

@user_956ad5​ FiOS is an abbreviation for fiber optic service, which CenturyLink does use. I suspect you still need to disconnect your phone wires from inside their fiber optic system junction box (called an "ONT" that's typically on the outside of your house), and also make sure the power source for that (probably inside your house) is unplugged. Otherwise that FiOS voltage will interfere with your new cable/modem phone signal. To answer your question, all of our phones work now, but I haven't actually used more than one at a time.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here